Duck Hunting Forum banner

RNT MVP vs Original

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick Hall 
#1 ·
I usually hunt in the marshes of Southern Louisiana or over flooded fields in Mississippi and Im looking for feed back from anyone who has used these two calls. Which one would be better in terms of actual hunting rather than competition calling and what are the pros and cons of each? Also opened to suggestions of other calls like the RNT short barrel but figured the original and MVP would be best suited for my situation.

#2 ·
The MVP will do everything the Original will better: greater range and more fun to run. Has been my most used call most every open duck day in Louisiana rice and coastal marsh for the past dozen or so seasons, and nothing else I've tried has come close to bumping it.

#3 ·
Not a fan of either call.
I guessing that you and most folk would think that because a call is open water that it's best suited for reaching out to further away birds. Bigger bore equals louder.
Yes and no....both of these calls have what I consider a higher pitch. And u fortunately a higher pitch does not carry further. In all actuality a deeper pitch does....hence why a fog horn is a deep pitch. If your looking at rnt I'd suggest a daisy cutter as a J frame call for what your looking for.

Stump

#4 ·
While I understand that low frequency sound waves carry farther than high frequency sound waves, I'm one who has hunted a MVP and "old style," half-scroll, extra harsh, Daisy Cutter side by side daily for a few seasons and periodically in subsequent ones, because I thought the DC should be more effective, but I never could get the same flight breaking effectiveness out of the DC. Same could be said of the MVP vs the much louder and lower pitched Mondo I auditioned for three seasons. Could be I didn't give Stump's CWF enough of a shot because of its being toneboard orientation sensitive in my hands bugged me, but it, too, had opportunity on game to prove itself an improvement over the MVP, which would have prompted me to deal with the handling problem, rather than pass the call along. This year an Alan Stanley Deceiver will get its chance.

Meanwhile, the most generally effective hunting call I've found is a twelve or so year old stock MVP with its original reed/tuning, and when I feel I need more reach for birds most folks wouldn't even think about turning, I break out a MVP Butch tricked a bit to be an extra loud hunting call. I didn't leave it with quite as much reed as he did, but still run it with a hair more than my main call's and can herk on it harder without locking it up.

Anyhow... I've not yet been able to sell myself on low pitched calls for breaking tall birds or anything else, regardless of physics or how much more "ducky" I might think them.

As always, however, "Your mileage may vary." (Was a like new MVP going for $100 shipped in the classifieds a couple days ago, so there's another dissenting voice.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.