Looking to try single reed

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

Looking to try single reed

Postby BLUE DUCK » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:13 pm

I have been using a double reed call and now im interested in moving up to a single reed higher-end call. I have noticed the daisy cutter by rich-n-tone and I wondered if anybody had an opinion on that call.[/quote]
"Shoot it man. Shoot it in the head."
BLUE DUCK
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:16 pm

Me no like single reed. But i have heard good things about the daisy cutter.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby texasduckblaster » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:57 pm

I have an RNT shortie and I love it, it may be too raspy for some peoples likings but I sure do like it. :thumbsup:
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:49 pm

Single reeds are all I use now. Don't get me wrong, doubles are killing machines, but singles offer more control and volume (99% of the time).

The Daisy cutter is a great call, but I still prefer the RNT original.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:06 pm

normally i would say :withstupid:

however, my recent aquisition of a double reed Rowdy/DOA has changed my philosophy.

try an Echo Cocobola single reed..The timber Coco is a snotty, raspy, duck killer.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:47 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:41 pm

Take a look at the Buck Gardner Spit-techs. Close to $50 cheaper than the RNTs, BGs are 80, and in my opinion, they sound better too. They have 2 new double reeds out that has defied everyones previous thoughts...that a double reed cant have the range of a single or ring great on top. They are the Double Nasty and Double Nasty XL. The DN is great for close in work and timber calling. But however, the star of the pack is the DN XL. Its basically a double reed comp call. It can ring on top and is quite loud, however has a soft raspy bottom.How they do it? I dont have a clue, your gonna have to ask Brad about that one :mrgreen: . To mention, the great thing is they are guaranteed not to stick with the new Spit-Tech system theyve designed. How better can you get? If youre still stuck on a single reed, they have a great sounding, do-it-all, Tall Timber Spit-tech also. Its not timber or open water, its just a utility call. It can do anything you can. Ring, soft, whine, rasp, anything.

Call Brad at 901-634-0709 and get him to blow some for you. I think youll like em as much as I do. Tell em Caleb sent ya.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby doane25 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:05 pm

i love my foiles
doane25
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:44 pm

I dont like double reeds anymore, just personal preference so my 2 go-to lanyards consist of single reeds (okay theres one coco double on there).
My main call is the daisy cutter, its got that "ive got corn in my throat" sound. very nasally which is my favorite attribute to my calls. Its a hard call to run, I know very few people I hunt with that can work this call. Like the add says, "if you can work it, game over'' and thats exactly how it is.
Good luck with the decision, its an expensive one, but well worth the price.
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:27 am

Daisy cutter is not the best call to start on... It is more of an advanced caller call. I would recommend the rnt short barrel to start then maybe move to the dc. Awesome call but not for everybody. "if you can drive it, game over!"
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum