Major help needed please

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Major help needed please

Postby panthersfan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:22 pm

I need so help. I am starting my second waterfowl season ever and am having trouble learning to blow a call. I have purchased 2 calls the diamondwood series calls from h.s. and with my basic quack they seem to have a great sound. Barnie Calif used them in takem 6 and they sounded good then to. As i said i got to a single reed and a double and just cant get the calling down. Any advise would be greatly appreciated if anyone has the calls what they think about them. thanks
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:54 pm

For quack say quack, whack, Uut, gaat. For a feed call "chuckle" say tikka tikka tikka, tikka takka tukka, dat dat dat dat. or kiddy kiddy kiddy. Those are all you will really need to know. When you get more experienced you can learn hail and comeback calls but they are not necessary. Dont over call the ducks it is better not to use a duck call at all than over calling.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:52 pm

panther, brett (an experoienced member here) sent me a few audio files of some basic calls.

If you want, I'll forward them to ya.
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby panthersfan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:01 pm

i guess what i meant was that i have the video from hs but i still am having trouble. there has to be someone who can help that may have had a hard time starting out. I am not dumb i played the saxaphone when i was in 8th grade and i am only 19 now but this i cant master any advice?
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:34 pm

Panther,

I dont know wheather you saw this or not, but this is pretty good.

http://duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:51 pm

AlaskaRedneK wrote:panther, brett (an experoienced member here) sent me a few audio files of some basic calls.

If you want, I'll forward them to ya.
-Stouff

can you forward them to me?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby panthersfan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:33 pm

Alaska, sure man i dont know why but my 2nd post was made before i read your post and posted after you wrote yours. If you get the chance please send those to me. Panthersfan2415@aol.com
thanks a lot
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:36 pm

GB, sure.

Send me an Email at: alaskarednek@gmail.com

and I'll be happy to forward them :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:29 pm

thanks Alaska I sure hope they help you.

I had as tough a time as any when I started out. I had no instruction and did not know where to get any. no one I knew blew a call at all, in fact in my family we were taught duck calls scare ducks and nothing else. I must have spent $200 on cheap calls that did not work. Then it came to me :oops: I don't know what I am doing here. Maybe it isn't the calls. hmmm I wonder if I could get some help somewhere?? Of course the internet was not around then, but I found a call that came with a tape. The Lohman Bill Harper pro model 400. I stuck with that call and practiced every day for a period of two or three years. I struggled, but in the end figured a few things out. When I decided to advance to competiution it started all over again. My point is keep at it, get help, and just work hard the calls you have are fine just practice practice practice. There are some great cds to work from now days. The refuge mans comes to mind as well as the RNT and the Carlsons system of call operation have all been helpful to me.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:32 pm

jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby duckhunter25 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:45 pm

:salude: low gutteral sounds from , of course, your gut. The best advice i can give is , slow it down......dont try and be barnie caleif. practice quacks and then a sequence of quacks going from high to low.

My 16 year old nephew just picked up a call 2 years ago and now is confident enough and good enough to call with us in the blind. It will come, just keep it low and slow until you get the feel for the reeds.
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby TXwaterfowler » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:27 am

When I first learned to call was 11 years ago. Theres a tape with 5 time world champion caller his name
JIM"COWBOY"FERNADES

Seems to me that when using ur gut and blowing for a quack that saying Hoot Hoot is easy. On a High Ball Quit Quit, and feed which of course is hard anyway try to use Tuga Tuga Tuga. This is what i learned 11 years ago and still use it. Hope it helps ya buddy.
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby duckman1106 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:17 am

If you are just learning, learn how to quack first. Do this by saying "quit" into the call. Make sure you are saying it instead of blowing it. It needs to come from your diaphragm like you are fogging a window or a quarterback saying "hut hut." Then get the proper cadence. Do it to the tune of "three blind mice". When you get that down, add a couple quacks. "Three blind mice quit quit."

Don't worry about the ticka ticka or dugga dugga "feed calls." They aren't a feed call at all, but rather what is referred to as gabbling....something ducks do when they are flying high in a V. If you want to do some type of feeder call, only do it when you are imitating ducks who are feeding..ie, if you are hunting a rice field or some other water less than knee deep. Then only use the tic toc single cut feed call, mixed in with some soft quacks.
The Mallard Militia: We kill more ducks before 7:00 am than most people kill all day!!
duckman1106
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum