why buy expensive duck or gosse calls?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

why buy expensive duck or gosse calls?

Postby Mike Rossi » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:24 pm

Duck and goose calls vary greatly in price. I am asking about why the medium and the high priced calls are better.
Mike Rossi
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:44 pm

Tone and quality. Sure theyre are cheap calls that sound good and expensive ones that dont. But if you find the right expensive ones, man, theyre so much better.

Acrylic - real crisp and loud, alot of time goes into these calls, thats why its high

Wood - mellow, timber call, look sharp and have great ducky tones

Poly - the cheap mans duck call, however, if you look around, you kind find some plastic treasures

Are you interested in buying them or just asking? Well, thats a whole nother topic :mrgreen:
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:09 pm

I think alot of it has to do with personal preference, as well as performance. Acrylic and Wood calls will have a little different tone than the poly's. Acrylic having sharper, crisp notes, durability, and like Quackwacker said a lot of time and money go into making these calls. Same for wood calls, but they have a mellower sound, and can be very pretty. Will they make you a better caller? NO. Some people think by buying an expensive call will it make them a better caller; not true, they blow just like every other call out there and require you to get the job done of making it sound right. I have acrylic, wood, and poly calls, and as much as I like acrylic and wood, I still use poly calls sometimes in the field. :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Expensive ones you show off and brag about...the cheap ones go stompin through the marsh :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:40 pm

I have a BGB (over $100) and I would rather use my Buck Garner (under $25) Just something you need to decide for yourself. :salude: :salude: :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby darick silsby » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:50 pm

You can drive to the store in a chevy vega, but why do it ,if you can drive to the store in a BMW P.S. I drive a corrolla.
aim small miss small,
Mel Gibson- The patriot
darick silsby
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:54 pm

Quack is right on the money about an expensive call making you a better caller. But at the same time if you think it will it might. No sub for good ol fashion pratice. :salude: :salude: :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:16 pm

Ducksbeus wrote:Expensive ones you show off and brag about...the cheap ones go stompin through the marsh :yes: :yes: :yes:

:yes: :yes: :thumbsup: :withstupid: :withstupid:
texan68
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:30 pm

:withstupid: all have it right ... pratice is best and poly is a cheaper and easyer materal than others but if you have a call that works for you and is 15 bux you will kill more birds than if you have a 150 acrylic but can't make a sound out of it to save your but
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby athomeruddy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:02 pm

QK said it the best.

For me, i prefer the feel of acrylic. wood dries you out believe it or not, and even its kinda hard to hunt a $500 lanyard...the daisy cutter and shortbarrel are too nasty, nassally, ducky calls that i love to go to town on!
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby BLUE DUCK » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:19 pm

Its a gamble when u buy a high priced called. Mostly ive been burned when ive bought one. I recommend u buy a call from a store that WILL let u blow the call before purchasing. I personally will not buy a call from a store that forbids blowing their calls.
"Shoot it man. Shoot it in the head."
BLUE DUCK
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:58 pm

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby okiequacker » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:26 am

there are some great "high dollar" calls out that...not saying there not. But.......i think people buy them looking for a call that will do the work for them...or to just say they own one. Acr. calls are more expensive to make but i will just keep using my D2 olt's and other under $50 calls and Kill lots of ducks....

That said...the expensive calls have a place in this market...they do sound great and are a must for comp. calling.
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum