HS Black ice

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

HS Black ice

Postby Blackice » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:13 am

Hey! Im beginner with duck calls and i bought HS Black Ice Single Reed.
It has no tuning hole and i can't blow high notes with it.
So how can i blow them? Do i have to make that tuning hole to it?
Can i also try to make another reed to it? Does it sound better then?

Blackice
Blackice
Newb

Postby Robberwood » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:41 pm

No, No, and No. You dont need a hole or another reed to get the high notes. More air or it could be a thousand things you are doing wrong... Get a cd or dvd to help practice :thumbsup:
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:24 pm

:withstupid: Do Not make a hole in the insert. There is a very good chance you will ruin the call if you do that.

If you are having trouble getting high notes it can be a number of things. The call could be tuned too deep for you meaning the reed is too long. The longer the reed, the deeper the sound and harder to blow. The shorter the reed, higher pitch and easier to blow, but this also makes it easy to squeel the call.

You may also not be putting enough air in, presenting the air in the correct way, or maybe you are putting too much voice in it. Just expiament with different ways of blowing and you should get it.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:42 pm

There are thousands of things you could be doing wrong. DONT MESS WITH THE TUNING OF THE CALL! At your experience level, you would just mess it up, (im speaking from experience :mrgreen: ). Grab a cd and see if you can find someone that is pretty good and get them to teach you.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby doane25 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:12 pm

for the most part i agree with everybody. if you take it apart and fiddle with it a lil bit you will learn alot more about duck calls. what makes this do that and such. i would rather tinker with a $20 call rather than a $100+ call. no time to learn like the present. i bet everybody here has learned from first hand experience.
doane25
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:03 pm

simple...reeds to long. If I were you, I would go to Cabelas, or some other big name hunting store, and ask the guy/gal in waterfowling....he/she should be able to help you.
texan68
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:48 pm

I took this of of one of the other sites I am active on. I hope this does not constatute :spam: but here goes and I hope it helps. here is the link.

http://oldducker.proboards41.com/index. ... 1107635141
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:51 pm

the h.s. hunting dvd take em 6 comes with a duck and goose calling 101 dvd it really helped me on the goose call
kyfowler
hunter

Postby lillusk3 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:16 pm

isn't the black ice a double reed?
If it flies, it dies!
lillusk3
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:10 am

It comes in both single and double reed.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby super_mag » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:27 pm

i going aginst the grain here caus i have one and there a piece of cake to tune. with mine to get it the way i like it best i took the bottem reed out, but you dont have 2 reeds so that wont work, mess with it a little since the call dosent work for you anyway and they only coste like 10 bucks, if you wreck it i would recamend a buck gardaner tall timber 2, or a h.s. bill colector.

but i agree get a vid and, i would suggest a difrent call to learn on, the blach ice isint a very good call to learn on
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:17 pm

the black ice is a great sounding poly call. However, if they are not made with a tuning hole, then it is not meant to have one. The hole wouldn't help produce the high notes anyhow, its meant to sound like multiple ducks...i would suggest calling or writing HS and asking for a shorter reed.
athomeruddy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum