I need a new duck call, any suggestions?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

I need a new duck call, any suggestions?

Postby Webfoot12 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:17 pm

I'm looking to get me a new duck call this year. I bought an Echo polycarb that has a pretty good sound to it but it is really loud. I blow less air and it does not sound near as good.

I'm looking for something that blows soft and raspy for close in calling. I'm willing to pay a fair price. I'm not real familiar with acrylics, but are the timber calls capable of such calling without being too loud?

I'm thinking along the lines of a wood call. Any ideas or pointers would be great.

Thanks,
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:49 pm

If you like Echo's then you might try out the Echo Timber call. They come in wood/poly, wood, and acrylic. The wood/poly ones are about $45. I personally have never blown any, but it sounds like what you are looking for. Also for higher end calls I love the RNT Timbre which also comes in wood or acrylic, and I even like the RNT Quackhead Timbre. I think it sounds just as good as the acrylic model. These may not work for you but they are just some suggestions for you. Your best bet is to go somewhere you can blow the calls yourself then you'll know what you need. :thumbsup:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:32 pm

RNT timbre in cocobolo is pretty sweet and mellow but raspy and nice to get down low with um. also maybe a short barrel. Personally i love my taylor talker acrylic call because it can go high and low...
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Echo Timber calls

Postby Duck Whittler » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:54 pm

I have used the Echo wood timber calls for quite a few years , love them. Last year i picked up the acrylic model and like it also, it is not quite as mellow sounding as the wood model, but it will get up there pretty loud and sounds good when you quiet it down.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:00 pm

Maybe a quackhead, or my favorite Cutt Down Game Calls dead timber 24 dollars.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum