Duck calls (which sounds do i need?)

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, stumpjumper, okiequacker, callinfowl

Duck calls (which sounds do i need?)

Postby cinrds » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:57 pm

I am new to waterfouling but I have been playing around with a duck call for a while I can produce a hail call and a quack that I am happy with.

So to call ducks what calls do I need to be able to produce?

I have a RNT J-frame and like the sound and I have found a single reed easy to blow. Looking into RNT new Quackhead timber call as well.

Also same question for geese. What sounds do I really need?

I have a really cheap HS goose call and find it hard to to get the sound I like. Sounds out of tune but as I can tell can't be tuned. Does anyone know about the new RNT Quackhead Goozilla.

If people have others choices on calls please let me know. I am not ready to spend hundareds fo dollars on calls yet.
Last edited by cinrds on Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cinrds
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:07 pm

I prefer wood...them plastic deals sound hollow ta me...try ya a Mallardtone, Faulks or maybe an Olt D2...I got a Quackhead and a Yo Sista...they both sound hollow :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:26 pm

Foiles Acrylic timber rattler gets my vote vote every time........
Jayson Wilt
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:15 pm

Work on geting that Feed call down pat.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:17 am

cinrds,

i moved this to the duck calling forum for you. i think you'll get a little better exposure with it here.

shrpshtr
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:57 pm

You're not really going to need the hail call in a hunting situation unless you are trying to get the attention of ducks that are far away.

Start off with the quack, then learn to put 4 or 5 quacks together in a string, you don't have to learn the rolling feed call(ticka-ticka-ticka) because it isn't really a feed call, learn to do a more realistic feed call called the cluckin or cuttin style feed. This is a contentment sound that ducks make when on the water or feeding. You say "cook" or "shook" repeatedly to achieve this. Learn to to do a comeback call, lonesome hen.

What I suggest you do is get an instructional cd. The ones I like are the RNT "The Right Stuff" series, and Buck Gardners Strait Talk. Those should get you going in the right direction.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:16 pm

Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:47 pm

RNT goozilla short reed is quite possibly the best sounding, while being the easiest to blow shoort reed I have used. Give it a go.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:45 am

Well......like shotguns and musical instruments use what works for you.
Everyone prefers certain shotguns over others cause they work. Musicians use different instruments for the sounds they make. Always remember a duck call or a goose call is an instrument designed to make certain sounds the mimic waterfowl. Sometimes they like a higher pitched single reed call. Sometimes a more moderate tone. Calling ducks is not about making certain sounds its makin the right sounds at the right time.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum