Duck Call Help

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Duck Call Help

Postby HunterX » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:21 pm

Duck Season is just around the corner and I feel the need for a new quality call that will get them in. The RNT MVP sounds like a killer but is it any good for callers like me in the West (CO). There are so many calls out there I don't know what to get. Got any suggestions???
HunterX
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:17 am

You can have a call that cost $500 or just $10, but they will not do any good in the field if you don't know how ,when & how LITTLE to call. 75% of most hunters "overcall" and chase the birds away! Only 25% of the countrys callers use "quality" calling c/o calls, volume,rythem,mix & style Work on your food call ...Get er right.....& U will be a happy man! Mr Ed.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby gunman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:06 am

I've heard some say thats strictly a competition call......just what I heard.....
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:34 am

Strictly competition imo. I would get a short barrel or daisy cutter if you want to get-r-done. both are excellent calls. athomeruddy is the man on those and calls ducks in like crazy!
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:53 am

:withstupid:

I have a few RNT calls, get a hedge or cocobolo shortbarrel or DC call and you will be happy. They are all duck, lots easier to congrol the volume and sound than the MVP. You can everything with an MVP and Original RNT, they are just a little harder. More of an expert call IMO...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:05 pm

Yes the MVP is an excellent competition call, but it is also a very good hunting call. I know alot of guys that hunt with MVP's. Depending on where you hunt it can be great. If you need to be able to reach out and get their attention on the open water, a big field, or just a really windy day, it's a great call.

What type of area do you hunt??? That will help us more.

If you hunt timber then of course the Timbre would be a good choice, if you want mid volume call then the short barrel and daisy cutter are good choices. IMO the Daisy Cutter is a great all around call except it lacks in the tonal range of say the Original and doesn't get quite as loud. Best thing to do is try em out yourself to see what you want. And remember just because it says the MVP is a comp call doesn't mean you can't hunt with it, I use mine, I also have a competition goose call that I don't leave home without because of it's great range. Good luck with whatever you choose.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby duckman1106 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:28 pm

MVP is really a competition call. You don't need a loud call like that unless you're hunting a big lake with alot of wind. Try out a Buck Gardner Double Nasty if you are looking for a pure meat call. If you are hunting timber and want a nice, whiny, put em in the hole call, then try out the Buck Brush. Plus, they are in Spit-Tech, so they won't stick.
The Mallard Militia: We kill more ducks before 7:00 am than most people kill all day!!
duckman1106
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:29 pm

duckman1106 wrote:MVP is really a competition call. You don't need a loud call like that unless you're hunting a big lake with alot of wind. Try out a Buck Gardner Double Nasty if you are looking for a pure meat call. If you are hunting timber and want a nice, whiny, put em in the hole call, then try out the Buck Brush. Plus, they are in Spit-Tech, so they won't stick.

:withstupid: Good brains think alike!
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Yeah those spit techs are also really nice. I've got a Tall Timber and Mainstreet and they are great. Won't stick on you either. The Buck Brush is a sweet little call and has a real nice whine to it. I'm gonna have to break down soon and buy one along with the Double Nasty XL. :thumbsup:
quackkiller
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum