Whats the diff

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Whats the diff

Postby rnye » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:49 pm

I am sure this is a stupid question, but what is the difference between a single reed and a double reed other the the number of reeds or the the pitch of the call? Is one better than the other one in certain enviroments?
rnye
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:23 pm

first off the double reed to me is easier to blow and is more of a raspy, nasally, ducky sound and is more on the low soft end. the single reed you can produce ringing hail calls, and is normally louder and you can do work from the top end all the way down to soft quacks and you can feed it. hope that helps a little bit. ill check back
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby plainsman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:09 pm

A good quality single reed is more versitile,although, harder to master. Double reeds are more forgiving.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby rnye » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:02 pm

i guess what i am asking is which one should i invest in if i am a new caller. i already have a double reed with two instructional tapes. but it seems to me that i get alot of inconsistency with the double. i have not blown on a single yet so i have no bases of comparison. So i guess what i am looking for is some guidence.
rnye
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:10 pm

go to a shop that has them and try one out and then you could maybe tell but i think the double will better to start off with.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby QuackWacker08 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:37 pm

rnye wrote:i guess what i am asking is which one should i invest in if i am a new caller. i already have a double reed with two instructional tapes. but it seems to me that i get alot of inconsistency with the double. i have not blown on a single yet so i have no bases of comparison. So i guess what i am looking for is some guidence.

If you get alot of inconsistency on the double, the single will be much worse. Buy a single, and use the double for huntin till your good enough for the single.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:44 pm

:withstupid: Just keep blowin the double. Keep it in your truck and blow while you drive. :thumbsup:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum