remington 11-87 jamming

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

remington 11-87 jamming

Postby Vav » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:26 pm

my gun would never feed the second and third shell so i tiik it apart and noticed the feed latch was broke at the tip ordered the part and now it works just fine. then looked at my brothers remington 11-87 and the feed latch was broke in the same place.
Vav
hunter

Re: remington 11-87 jamming

Postby Tool-Man » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:24 am

How old are these guns? Were they made in the last 5 years?

Also, got any pictures of the damaged latch?
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ALLDRAKES » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Having hunted with 2 friends that had 11-87's I can tell you this is just the startof your problems............These are without a doubt one of the most UNRELIABLE guns produced in the last 10 years !!! I wish you the best of luck but believe me these guns are not a reliable gun !!!!
ALLDRAKES
hunter

Postby jehler » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:08 pm

ALLDRAKES wrote:Having hunted with 2 friends that had 11-87's I can tell you this is just the startof your problems............These are without a doubt one of the most UNRELIABLE guns produced in the last 10 years !!! I wish you the best of luck but believe me these guns are not a reliable gun !!!!

+1
I have been watching a buddies 11-87 break down at least twice every season for the last 5 seasons, he usually just brings the double gun now until he can find a sucker...er...ah...someone who doesn';t actullyt hunt to sell his 11-87 to and buy a benelli

after you fixs the feed latch the ejector will break............the last hunt I remember him using the gun the bolt went back and wouldn't come forward again, even after some very healthy pursuasion :lol3:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Wild Goose » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:48 am

Tool-Man wrote:How old are these guns? Were they made in the last 5 years?

The gun is 6 1/2 yrs old. I don't have the latch out yet as it is staked in and I'm trying to confirm damage first.
Tough to get up close to the tip in question. but it appears to allow the next shell to protrude to far and interfere with the action.

Thanks for your concern
Wild Goose
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:44 am

Wild Goose wrote:
Tool-Man wrote:How old are these guns? Were they made in the last 5 years?

The gun is 6 1/2 yrs old. I don't have the latch out yet as it is staked in and I'm trying to confirm damage first.
Tough to get up close to the tip in question. but it appears to allow the next shell to protrude to far and interfere with the action.

Thanks for your concern

I picked up a new waterfowl edition 11-87 last year and it did the same thing. I sent it back under warrenty. They fixed it but I haven't had it out of the safe since. I have since come to find out that the newer guns have all kinds of problems.

I love my old 11-87 premier (Probably around 20 years old). Wish my new one worked as well. I jumped ship and got one of the guns that starts with a "B". :no:

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby JGun » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:37 am

jehler wrote:
ALLDRAKES wrote:Having hunted with 2 friends that had 11-87's I can tell you this is just the startof your problems............These are without a doubt one of the most UNRELIABLE guns produced in the last 10 years !!! I wish you the best of luck but believe me these guns are not a reliable gun !!!!

+1
I have been watching a buddies 11-87 break down at least twice every season for the last 5 seasons, he usually just brings the double gun now until he can find a sucker...er...ah...someone who doesn';t actullyt hunt to sell his 11-87 to and buy a benelli

after you fixs the feed latch the ejector will break............the last hunt I remember him using the gun the bolt went back and wouldn't come forward again, even after some very healthy pursuasion :lol3:

Sell it now while it still looks good and you can get a little more money out of it. I should have gotten rid of mine years ago.
Biggest problem I had was extractors either breaking or flying out. Went through at least six extractors. Lost bolt handles, springs, broke plunger, jammed, jammed and jammed some more for various reasons. I could shoot the gun really well when it went off and cycled another round. :fingerhead:
JGun
hunter

Postby ALLDRAKES » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:33 pm

JGun wrote:
jehler wrote:

+1

Sell it now while it still looks good and you can get a little more money out of it. I should have gotten rid of mine years ago.
Biggest problem I had was extractors either breaking or flying out. Went through at least six extractors. Lost bolt handles, springs, broke plunger, jammed, jammed and jammed some more for various reasons. I could shoot the gun really well when it went off and cycled another round. :fingerhead:

That is GREAT advice !!!
ALLDRAKES
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Buy a Benelli and your set for life :biggrin:

I was reminded by one of the earlier post about bolt handles flying off. I shoot sporting clays with a guy that carries a spare bolt handle now for his 1100. He was shooting and I heard a metalic ting and seen a piece come flying at me. I yelled STOP and when we looked at his gun the bolt handle was missing. that was the second one he lost. of course you can not find it but being that you load 2 rounds and shoot them both the bolt locks back open so we could finish the course. If the bolt had closed or he had to clear the gun he would have been screwed.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby FastPine » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:24 pm

My 1187 is a piece of crap!!!!!
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby scottd72 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Dude. I could write a book on what can and DOES happen to an 11-87...and as an avid waterfowler, it always happens when duck season is peaking and you can't get the part of God forbid you need warranty service because then your duck season is over and you'll be using a backup gun for the rest of it. here's a list off the top of my head...

broken link
broken extractor
bolt handle flying out (this hap'd to my dad's gun in the field 2 wks ago and i'm gonna use my metal detector to locate it)
broken gas piston ring
stock becoming so loose i'm like *** (but easily fixed)
and drum roll please...

not 1, not 2 but 3 cracked/broken light contour barrels...all cracking at the gas cylinder collar and coming clean off while shooting at a flock of ducks...

I will hand it to Remington for at least sending me two new barrels under warranty - the third one, however is probably after my warranty had expired but that's not the reason why the gun is sitting in storage without a new barrel. I honestly just don't feel like calling them or doing anything about it. Very sweet soft-shooting gun when it's working. Doesn't work though. Bought a Beretta, not looking back. Good luck yo.

ScottyBoy
scottd72
hunter

Postby FastPine » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:09 pm

scottd72 wrote:Very sweet soft-shooting gun when it's working. Doesn't work though.

How true......I absolutely love to shoot my 11 87,,,It shoots like a dream, and the added weight helps me swing better/smoother..

Like jehelers friend, I typically have a backup gun in the truck due to the 1187's shaky past,,,Too many ruined hunts, and days where it turned to a 1 shot gun..
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:26 pm

It just kills me to read all these problems. I just haven't experienced many/any of them. I had an 1100 (around '82) that I bird hunted with, great gun. No problems at all in about six years of quail hunting almost every day of season. It was my first auto, bought with my own money at 16 y.o., and I cleaned it religiously.
Fast forward to an 870 Xpress and duck hunting, beginning around '00 to present. The only problems I had was a stuck action once(had a small rock in the action, still don't know how it got in there), froze up once in cold weather(I now clean with alcohol only and apply no lube at all), and Kent's were expanding in the chamber and hanging. I jerked the rim off several trying to get them out. Honed out the chamber with steel wool, still had same problem with Kents. Switched to W Xperts and have had zero problems since.
I bought an 1187, 3", synthetic about four years ago and have had zero problems with it (other than breaking an o-ring during tear-down one time) Admittedly this gun has had limited use in the last four years, maybe twenty hunts and most all of them on easy blind-type hunts. I have used it several times on clays/doves, though.
I like Remingtons, they fit me, I shoot well with them, sight picture is the same for all them, even the first auto I began hunting with. It was my Dad's Sportman 58 in 16 ga.
I hate that you all are having all these problems. Usually I'm not lucky enough to get a good one, if that is all it is. Strange...
talltimber
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:45 am

I have 5 Remingtons in all, timber, and love Remingtons as well. My old Wingmasters were great. My old 1100 was great. The two 1187s are fun to shoot, you just can't depend on 'em if you're a serious hunter. We can all tell the war stories about the old reliable 870's, but buy a new one and chances are it'll be a bit finicky about which shells ya feed it and the finish is just junk. Don't blame Kent for the 870 hangin'. I've seen people hang about every shell you can imagine in 'em.

Read about the problems on the shotgun forums anywhere...Remington just aint what it once was. Sad, but true.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby fishmasty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:33 pm

I hate to hear all this about 11 87's I have tried the mossberg 935 route,... :hammer: I got such a good deal I bought 2 of them :mad: . They sure are nice when they function, they sure have cost me A Lot of Ducks and Geese this year. I am in the process of trading both of them for an 11 87 camoed super mag still in the box. From what I am reading here I think I need to re think that. Maybe I'll go through with the deal wait for turkey season and sell the 11 87 and buy a reliable shotgun. My old Browning Pump has never failed me. I love my 1100, 2 3/4 chamber though. I don't want a benelli Nothing wrong with them. I just want a foriegn owned american company. What does that leave me with?? Browning gold, or a winchester perhaps.
I can 't believe there are not many reliable fowling pieces out there anymore. Maybe I will just find an old hump back A-5 They always worked in the old days,
Espirit De Corps
fishmasty
hunter

Postby ALLDRAKES » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm

fishmasty wrote:I hate to hear all this about 11 87's I have tried the mossberg 935 route,... :hammer: I got such a good deal I bought 2 of them :mad: . They sure are nice when they function, they sure have cost me A Lot of Ducks and Geese this year. I am in the process of trading both of them for an 11 87 camoed super mag still in the box. From what I am reading here I think I need to re think that. Maybe I'll go through with the deal wait for turkey season and sell the 11 87 and buy a reliable shotgun. My old Browning Pump has never failed me. I love my 1100, 2 3/4 chamber though. I don't want a benelli Nothing wrong with them. I just want a foriegn owned american company. What does that leave me with?? Browning gold, or a winchester perhaps.
I can 't believe there are not many reliable fowling pieces out there anymore. Maybe I will just find an old hump back A-5 They always worked in the old days,

Browning Maxus and SX3 get very good reviews, at least so far !!!
ALLDRAKES
hunter

Postby Ned S » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:49 am

Some of us are lucky, I have two 1100's and a 12 yr old 11-87 premier with two Hastings barrels/chokes as well as a 935 none giving me any problems. The 1100's are from '81, one bought at a garage sale for $150 with a broken firing pin spring. I was aware of that. The 11-87 with the Hasting barrel/Hastings full choke is my Pass shooting Sandhill Crane gun shooting 1 5/8 oz of hard lead 2's at 1500 fps using a clone of the Blackcloud shotcup which holds a killing pattern to 70 yrds. My Grandson is shooting one of the 1100's with the 24" Hasting barrel. Ned S who also has a 870 Wingmaster from the '50's.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:26 pm

scottd72 wrote:Dude. I could write a book on what can and DOES happen to an 11-87...and as an avid waterfowler, it always happens when duck season is peaking and you can't get the part of God forbid you need warranty service because then your duck season is over and you'll be using a backup gun for the rest of it. here's a list off the top of my head...

broken link
broken extractor
bolt handle flying out (this hap'd to my dad's gun in the field 2 wks ago and i'm gonna use my metal detector to locate it)
broken gas piston ring
stock becoming so loose i'm like *** (but easily fixed)
and drum roll please...

not 1, not 2 but 3 cracked/broken light contour barrels...all cracking at the gas cylinder collar and coming clean off while shooting at a flock of ducks...

I will hand it to Remington for at least sending me two new barrels under warranty - the third one, however is probably after my warranty had expired but that's not the reason why the gun is sitting in storage without a new barrel. I honestly just don't feel like calling them or doing anything about it. Very sweet soft-shooting gun when it's working. Doesn't work though. Bought a Beretta, not looking back. Good luck yo.

ScottyBoy

OK, I didn't have the cracked barrel, but my gun stopped cycling rounds b/c the trigger assembly was screwed up. That plus the feed latch, linkage, and extractor.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:07 pm

Benelli ENOUGH SAID!!! :bow:
vapor300
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:23 am

Ned S wrote:Some of us are lucky, I have two 1100's and a 12 yr old 11-87 premier with two Hastings barrels/chokes as well as a 935 none giving me any problems. The 1100's are from '81, one bought at a garage sale for $150 with a broken firing pin spring. I was aware of that. The 11-87 with the Hasting barrel/Hastings full choke is my Pass shooting Sandhill Crane gun shooting 1 5/8 oz of hard lead 2's at 1500 fps using a clone of the Blackcloud shotcup which holds a killing pattern to 70 yrds. My Grandson is shooting one of the 1100's with the 24" Hasting barrel. Ned S who also has a 870 Wingmaster from the '50's.

Count me as one of the "lucky" ones as well.

It would be illuminating to see the actual failure/problem rate of the millions of Remingtons produced, so far versus the thousands of Benelli's. Wonder if the actual failure rates are similar?

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know as Benelli refuses to release their actual production/sales numbers and we are therefore reduced to the anecdotal utterances of those with inherent bias for/against a particular product.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Ned S » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 am

Yep! and you have to be smarter than your gun. They are all built using quality Statistical control which allows for 5% not functioning. In the old days they were hand assembled and functionally checked before being released to the public. Every new gun I buy I disassemble it and rebuild it like they did in the old days. Also hand lapping all the moving parts. They then work smooth as silk. It's called "hand labor". Ned S the young 81 yr old.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby FranknBeans » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:31 am

Ned S wrote:Yep! and you have to be smarter than your gun. They are all built using quality Statistical control which allows for 5% not functioning. In the old days they were hand assembled and functionally checked before being released to the public. Every new gun I buy I disassemble it and rebuild it like they did in the old days. Also hand lapping all the moving parts. They then work smooth as silk. It's called "hand labor". Ned S the young 81 yr old.

Very good thing to do, especially to newer 870s. I just got done doing this to a Super Mag 870 a few weeks ago that I've had a few years and never used. It's now as smooth as a old wingmaster. a little polishing and deburring goes a long way for these firearms.
Tree Huggers can kick rocks.
FranknBeans
hunter

Postby Reknbal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:42 pm

I just bought my Remington 11-87 Super Mag Waterfowl gun about three months ago. When I went hunting last sunday I got off two shots and the third jammed. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a part had broken off and was jammed in the receiver. I was able to extract it.

It turns out the interceptor latch stud that was welded to the inside of the receiver had clean broken off. I didn't know if this was just a fluke, but after reading some of these posts, I'm starting to regret buying this gun.

I sent it in to Remington for a warranty repair, but might not get it back for a couple months. I'm looking for a new gun currently, any recommendations? Winchester X3? Beretta Extrema II?
Reknbal
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Reknbal wrote:I just bought my Remington 11-87 Super Mag Waterfowl gun about three months ago. When I went hunting last sunday I got off two shots and the third jammed. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a part had broken off and was jammed in the receiver. I was able to extract it.

It turns out the interceptor latch stud that was welded to the inside of the receiver had clean broken off. I didn't know if this was just a fluke, but after reading some of these posts, I'm starting to regret buying this gun.

I sent it in to Remington for a warranty repair, but might not get it back for a couple months. I'm looking for a new gun currently, any recommendations? Winchester X3? Beretta Extrema II?

Thats what happened to me when I bought an SBE2. As for a recomendation, I upgraded to the Xterema and haven't looked back. It is the best gun I have ever had :thumbsup:

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:46 am

Reknbal wrote:I sent it in to Remington for a warranty repair, but might not get it back for a couple months. I'm looking for a new gun currently, any recommendations? Winchester X3? Beretta Extrema II?

Benelli all the way. I have 10's of thousands of rounds thru mine and they are all still in perfect operating condition. no gas system to clean or malfunction if they get dunked and they just continue to work no matter the conditions. I have owned just about every semi auto out there and I do like the Gold / silver and the SX2 / SX3's but still grab the benelli when I head to the blind. The 1187's have to be kept very clean to be reliable and they do not like much oil. I have had many people being 1187's in for repair and a lot of them were just a case of too much oil which when in the gas system just speeds up the carbon fouling and gums up the works. for the years I had me shop I never returned a Benelli for repair.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum