remington 11-87 jamming

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Well I got rid of my jamming 11-87

Postby JAXDuckMan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:50 am

Well Im going to get rid of my jamming 11-87 it is a peice of American made garbage. its reallly sad they make guns like that and then charge 850 bucks for them. I bought a Bennelli Super Nova MAX4 paint job ($585). Its a pump but it has the super duper recoil stock and it works really well not like an auto loader but good enough. Its fun working the pump while blasting ducks out the sky. The pump is smooth working out the box and even after going hunting with it and going to the range it does not have loose fitting sounds when I shake it, gun is built with tight tolerances, also the tube isnt scraped up by the pumping action like other cheaper pumps do. Thats improtant for guys like me that hunt in salt water.
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Re: remington 11-87 jamming

Postby g100driver » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:07 pm

After the 1st big rain storm I was in my (what I thought) was a great 11-87 started jamming. I went ahead and ponied up for a new SX3. I have shot several big storms and have yet to have a jam.

Have fun with that Nova ... be sure to count your teeth after you shoot 3.5" ;)
g100driver
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:56 pm

every 11-87 "sportsman" or parkerized version I have owned or repaired had one or more issues with jamming, cycling or just plain blowing off "o" rings. I have owned a few Premier 11-87's and still have one in the closet loaded and ready to go. I have never had an 11-87 premier give me any issues at all that I can recall. It makes me wonder if remington dumps all of the sub-par parts into their sportsman line and only uses PRIME parts in the premier line.

I parkerized my premier and put camo furnature on it so now I actually have a functional 11-87 defense gun :lol3:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby g100driver » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:27 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:every 11-87 "sportsman" or parkerized version I have owned or repaired had one or more issues with jamming, cycling or just plain blowing off "o" rings. I have owned a few Premier 11-87's and still have one in the closet loaded and ready to go. I have never had an 11-87 premier give me any issues at all that I can recall. It makes me wonder if remington dumps all of the sub-par parts into their sportsman line and only uses PRIME parts in the premier line.
I parkerized my premier and put camo furnature on it so now I actually have a functional 11-87 defense gun :lol3:

From what I am learning, it appears that Remington is dumbing their guns down so they can sell to Walmart ect .... Unless they are cheap, Walmart will not buy them. If you are going to play ball with the largest retailer ya gotta build it like it was made in China.
g100driver
hunter

Postby JustinD » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:58 am

I had cycling problems with my 11-87 a few months after I bought it. I shot in a sporting clays league and was pretty upset that my gun was not cycling the second shot at damn near every station. I looked up a few fixes and found one that has solved the problem. I took the butt stock pad off, then took the butt stock off. I had to remove the action spring in the the butt stock, and took my gun cleaning rod with a .410 swab and ran it down the shaft that the action spring sat it. After I put it all together I haven't had a problem since. I was told it was due to the manufacturing process and Remington doesn't do a very good job cleaning the parts after they are manufactured or something.

Here is a link to the other forum topic that helped me.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 2&t=223797
JustinD
hunter

Location: About 4 blocks away from the legendary LAMBEAU FIELD, WI

Postby FowlOffspring » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:55 pm

remingtons are a waste of money and pieces of crap.i have a model 50 winchester auto loader that has been passed down through 2 generations and that thing is still going strong.the only problem i have with it is that alot of the unburnt powder gets all over inside the gun and mixes with the oil and makes a pain in the ass paste.about 12 years ago my dad bought a winchester model 1300 ranger and then bought another one for my grandfather for christmas and they both have used the hell out of their guns and neither one has EVER had a problem with them and they are the smoothest pumps i have ever shot. :thumbsup:
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby jim1752 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:22 pm

you cant beat the old auto 5 by browning.been shooting a light 12 for 25 yaers with no problems.fyi,it was manufactured in.....1953
jim1752
hunter

Postby jim1752 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 pm

ahhh,cmone you guysjohn moses browning built a shot gun beginning in 1902 that still works outstanding today.its called the auto 5.drag it behind apickup for 40 miles on a dirt road,it still shoots.take it to the arctic circle,it still shoots.use it on your hard headed retriever,it still shoots.forget about the dago guns.buy one browning auto and you will throw that spagetti bender in the dumpster. jim sheetz btw mine is 1 year younger than i,at 58 y.o.
jim1752
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 am

I have a 1100 and a 11-87 supermag neither gun has been any trouble. The 11-87 has close to 3000 rounds down the barrel and still no porblem with it jamming. The only thing I have done to either is new O rings and cleaned them sure there is some that are junk but you can and will get that with any gun. Problem is some people have watched one too many duck commander shows and tom knapp shows and have bought into the frenzy of Italian made guns. Back in the 70's everyone had a humpback or a 1100 in the blind now its those grease guns thats all.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby btduckcall » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:33 pm

have a 11-87 sp, bought it in1981,loved it, blew the barrel apart two years ago, not sure what happen, did it on the scond shot, so was not mud, belive the first wad got stuck, replaced the barrel then a piece came out at the end reciever, it is soldier(sp) in, took it to a gun smith said i had to send it back to remington,long story short that was the only problem with the gun i every had. this gun was abused from day one, used it as a boat paddle you name it happen, it went over 25 yrs of rough and tough hunting. i hunt and average of three days week during duck season and four during dove. so it has seen it days. guess what iam sawing buy an oldier one.

i put a better pic up is reason i edited
btduckcall
hunter

Postby jpari » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:56 pm

jim1752 wrote:ahhh,cmone you guysjohn moses browning built a shot gun beginning in 1902 that still works outstanding today.its called the auto 5.drag it behind apickup for 40 miles on a dirt road,it still shoots.take it to the arctic circle,it still shoots.use it on your hard headed retriever,it still shoots.forget about the dago guns.buy one browning auto and you will throw that spagetti bender in the dumpster. jim sheetz btw mine is 1 year younger than i,at 58 y.o.

Jim1752,

Being Italian American, I take great offense to your use of the words "dago" and "spagetti bender". Perhaps you are attempting to be humorous, but, I find no humor in this. A very wise man once said "Choose your words carefully, you may not be able to take them back". I would think that a fine intelligent man such as yourself could come up with less offensive descriptive words.
jpari
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Jpari:

I hope someday you will have enough pride to consider yourself something other than a hyphenated American (Italian-American) and consider yourself an American. Nothing wrong with Italians, they just live in Italy, not in the country that is the greatest experiment in liberty in all human history......America.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby 007 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm

btduckcall wrote:have a 11-87 sp, bought it in1981,loved it, blew the barrel apart two years ago, not sure what happen, did it on the scond shot, so was not mud, belive the first wad got stuck, replaced the barrel then a piece came out at the end reciever, it is soldier(sp) in, took it to a gun smith said i had to send it back to remington,long story short that was the only problem with the gun i every had. this gun was abused from day one, used it as a boat paddle you name it happen, it went over 25 yrs of rough and tough hunting. i hunt and average of three days week during duck season and four during dove. so it has seen it days. guess what iam sawing buy an oldier one.

i put a better pic up is reason i edited

Bought it in 1981?...
Didn't the 11-87 come out in 1987 (or '86) and that's pretty much how it got its name?

I bought my first one in 1989 when it was the next great thing...

hunter

Postby lbhatty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:32 am

Fellows I bought my first 1100 in 1965 (been around a long time) . Saved up all summer to pay for it. That old gun is still going strong with only the third O- ring,all replaced during normal maintinance. There have been no other repairs. I counted up just a moment ago and ther are 6 other 1100 or 11-87 in my gun room. My kids have shot these other guns for years. Surrounding the rem's are just about everything you could imagine a waterfowler could shoot. You name it,I've probably shot it or have hunted with someone who has. After over 35 trips to Canada not to mention Alaska , Mexico,Arkansas,and Louisiana nothing is in my opinion more reliable than the rem's especially in very cold weather. The manufacturing tolerances of my Browning,Benelli, Beretta,etc just make them susceptable to freeze up. I have a home in northern Saskatchewan and have friends visit to hunt every year. I spend a month there during the season. When they ask what gun they will need I always recomend a Remington 11-87. Maybe the guys my age have those old Remingtons,but they are certainly the most reliable thing I have found for tough cold weather waterfowling. Each to his own.
lbhatty
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:40 am

I have an 1100 and I do preventive maintenance. I have changed out the main spring put a camo stock on it replaced the firing and the ejector and numerous O rings and used steel wool in the chamber and use very little lube and I also doe the same for the 870 in replacing the stock and slider plus forearm ejector and firing pin and gave it the steel wool treatment. I always carry the 870 as a spare just in case or alternate it as the 870 has chokes. If that is not enough I have the Belgium A5 mag as a back up
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm a fan of them myself (and Remington's in general) I have two. Both are great. I'd take my 11-87 premier over a "B" gun.

:thumbsup:
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby AH64ADMP » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Well it's obvious that there are Remington haters and those that have mixed feelings and those that love them. Well I might as well add my two cents worth. I have an 11-87 SP that sat at the bottom of a lake for 48 hours or so before we could go back and retrieve it, did the right thing and let everything dry out for a few weeks and put her back together and I am still using her. I did have to replace the feed tube spring as the tit broke off the end after what I guess would be over 5000 rounds thru her. Not a bad gun. She has served me well and will continue to do so as a back up now that the wife bought me an SBE II at the recommendation of a few friends, nice B-day present. I have nothing to complain about with the SBE II at this time, only had her a little while and she still has some proving to do, I have some issues when firing Remington Hypersonic but other than that seems like a nice gun. Only time will tell if she can handle what the Remmy has had to deal with.
AH64ADMP
hunter

Postby robd12000 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:56 pm

I have had my 1187 ever since the first year they were made and except for a feed latch breaking, I have had no proplems. This gun has been frozen in ice, dropped in the mud, dropped in the water (under water), and not cleaned for a hole season and it has never jammed or misfired. I have since bought a 1187 super mag and it has never jammed. As for the O-ring problems, any one that is a serious waterfowel hunter will have extra O-rings on hand if they use a autoloader. The fact is that if you shoot a gun a lot, some parts will fail over time. Why should I shell out $2000 for a benelli when my 1187 shoots just as well.
robd12000
hunter

Postby Ned S » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:12 pm

You Rem lovers, I am one, but agree the 11-87 is a piece of crap, but mine isn't. I have two 1100's that have given me great service. I just bought a H & R Excell. It has the locking block like the 1100 but the bolt spring is up around the magazine where it should be. Also the bolt is much simplier and has no plastic buffer to break. It is gas operated and still has the O ring. The bolt handle cannot and will not fly out. Also it has a sleeve around the magazine that you turn around for going from 2 3/4 to 3" shells and is clearly marked for the correct position. Mine is working flawlessly. Reports of up to 1500 shells without a hiccup. They are made in Turkey and sold by Walmart for $317 and Academy for $300. So far you can get them in only black plastic. The Rem chokes fit this gun. They do not come with shims but I put 1/8" more drop on mine by filing on the stock where it meets the receiver. Ned S
Last edited by Ned S on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby JustinD » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Ha, it's kind of funny you posted on this topic today. I just sent Remington another email about my gun jamming, this time it wouldn't cycle 3" shells. I had two rounds not fire in less than 25-30 shots out hunting because the bolt wouldn't push the shell all the way in. Pretty much the same problem I have had since I got it, except these were the first times it has happened with 3" shells, and for a gun that's less than 2 years old, I find it unacceptable.
Underradar wrote:Cowards and queers. Worse, cat-lovers.

I shoot cats, if I can't run over them in my jeep first. If I do run over them, I shoot them anyway.

The Brother Hood of S.P.A.M.
S. society for the
P. proliferation of
A. alcoholic
M. meandering
JustinD
hunter

Location: About 4 blocks away from the legendary LAMBEAU FIELD, WI

Postby farmboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:21 pm

I have an 11-87 with a lc barrel it works great. had an 11-87 super mag it did not work Remington was stand up and fixed it for me no questions asked. They have also been excellent in their support of youth shooting sports with me. I hope the new auto lives up to all the hype. I use 3 11-87s and 2 1100s with the kids ands they all work fine.I wish I could go back to when I thought the Remington 1100 was the best field gun made things were simpler, gas and fertilizer were cheaper and there were quail then.
farmboy
hunter

Postby scotts98rt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Well since this is a 11-87 thread and not my favorite gun thread I will cut to the chase. I bought 2 in 2 years. One sportsman camo for 450 and a sp version both were supermag guns. I think over 4 years I replaced 4 extracter assemblys 1 under warranty.- traded off. The sp version 2 extracters, yester day bolt wouldnt close after i got it to close it wouldnt fire. Messed around with it and got it to fire, it will be GONE not soon enough! That said I used to be a ffl dealer and loved rem. till I owned these 2 turds. After the last buyer-cerbus- the quality is crap! :fingerpt:
scotts98rt
hunter

Postby JAXDuckMan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 am

I had a 11-87 and its a usless gun. Very cheaply made got a M2 made from quaility metals,few moving parts,simple=reliablity...I paid 850 for the 11-87.. paid 1050 for the M2 and very pissed off about the 850 11-87 pos.. I have a buddy that got a M2 one of the first versions made and sold its over tens years old and only jams when rusty shells are fed into it and that only happend a couple times and its never broke or ever repalced even a spring really good gun.. to bad I got to shoot a foreign gun but remington wont listen to its customers...
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Postby Gunman21 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 pm

I feel bad seeing all these problems people are having! I bought the 11-87 sportsman as my first auto-loader mainly for upland game and sport. Haven't had a single problem! I try not to put ANY abuse on it though. It rusts VERY easily.. i use my 887 when im in the harshest conditions. I could care less about that gun getting chipped or banged up, it fires and works for me just fine.
Gunman21
hunter

Postby id.remwingmaster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:19 pm

i have a 1187 premier that i bought the year they discontinued them. it shoots like a dream, i have never had a problem with jamming, or anything. i still use the original O ring i bought at lowes when i first bought the gun. i shot on a trap, and sporting clays team for 2 years and have easily put 4,000 rounds threw it and hundreds of 3" magnums since ive bought it. only problem ive ever had was this season, the magazine tube plunger cap got stuck while realoding on a real rainy cold day. took it apart and found that i had not cleaned it and the plunger cap was worn. definatly not a problem being that it fired thousands of rounds for me with out failure. but i baby my gun more than anyone i know. i clean it completely everytime i shoot, no matter how many shots ive shot that day. just gotta take care of them, if ya do they'll be a work horse for years. just my 2 bits though...
id.remwingmaster
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum