remington 11-87 jamming

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: remington 11-87 jamming

Postby cannon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 pm

buckmeister wrote:Jpari:

I hope someday you will have enough pride to consider yourself something other than a hyphenated American (Italian-American) and consider yourself an American. Nothing wrong with Italians, they just live in Italy, not in the country that is the greatest experiment in liberty in all human history......America.

Now there's some commentary that makes sense. On the other hand, I've come full-circle to the place where I now consider myself a hyphenated American (Redneck-American). It seems that all manner of logic, reason, and accountability have begun their mass-exidus in this fine nation, and while I'd certainly never allow ethnic lines to separate me from my natural citizenship, identifying myself in the same category as the vast majority of those who dwell in Los Angeles has become a point of embarassment.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby BBK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 pm

I have a premier and the only problem I have ever had was a cracked firing pin, after about 20,000 shells. I bought a super mag last year and have put around 1,000 shells through it with no problems, until I was messing with it and dry firing it at the tv while watching duck hunting show (dont ask), cracked the firing pin. But its never had a problem with 2.75" 7/8oz target loads, up to 3.5" magnum turkey loads. It is not the waterfowl one though, its the dicks sporting goods exclusive.
BBK
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:12 am

BBK wrote:I have a premier and the only problem I have ever had was a cracked firing pin, after about 20,000 shells. I bought a super mag last year and have put around 1,000 shells through it with no problems, until I was messing with it and dry firing it at the tv while watching duck hunting show (dont ask), cracked the firing pin. But its never had a problem with 2.75" 7/8oz target loads, up to 3.5" magnum turkey loads. It is not the waterfowl one though, its the dicks sporting goods exclusive.

That premier is a great gun. Who knows, maybe Remington cleaned up in the last couple of years but I'll never know. After my problems with the waterfowl version, I'll never own another one.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby billybob12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:57 pm

I have hunted waterfowl for 50 years and Remington has always been my gun the 48 58 1100 1187. The 1100 was the best of the bunch. But in the last 6 to 8 years the quality of there shotguns have gone straight down hill. Remington used to say there guns were good for 20 years, now its down to 5 years. There is nothing wrong with the 11-87 because 99% of the parts will fit a 1100. I will buy any 11-87 just for the parts.
billybob12
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:13 pm

scottd72 wrote:Dude. I could write a book on what can and DOES happen to an 11-87...and as an avid waterfowler, it always happens when duck season is peaking and you can't get the part of God forbid you need warranty service because then your duck season is over and you'll be using a backup gun for the rest of it. here's a list off the top of my head...

broken link
broken extractor
bolt handle flying out (this hap'd to my dad's gun in the field 2 wks ago and i'm gonna use my metal detector to locate it)
broken gas piston ring
stock becoming so loose i'm like *** (but easily fixed)
and drum roll please...

not 1, not 2 but 3 cracked/broken light contour barrels...all cracking at the gas cylinder collar and coming clean off while shooting at a flock of ducks...

I will hand it to Remington for at least sending me two new barrels under warranty - the third one, however is probably after my warranty had expired but that's not the reason why the gun is sitting in storage without a new barrel. I honestly just don't feel like calling them or doing anything about it. Very sweet soft-shooting gun when it's working. Doesn't work though. Bought a Beretta, not looking back. Good luck yo.

ScottyBoy

This late season I watched a bolt handle fly out. We searched around for a half hour but finally recovered it. Last day of goose season he called again telling me his bolt handle flew out again. With a few inches of the white stuff on the ground he never found it.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby JustinD » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:56 am

billybob12 wrote:I have hunted waterfowl for 50 years and Remington has always been my gun the 48 58 1100 1187. The 1100 was the best of the bunch. But in the last 6 to 8 years the quality of there shotguns have gone straight down hill. Remington used to say there guns were good for 20 years, now its down to 5 years. There is nothing wrong with the 11-87 because 99% of the parts will fit a 1100. I will buy any 11-87 just for the parts.

The older 1100's are fantastic guns. My dad still has one, I think the 2"3/4 with a full fixed choke and I have never once had a problem with that gun, and he isn't much of a hunter so the guns rarely get cleaned. Shoot clays in league last year, one guy had the same with gun, and never once had a problem. I think they are at least 20 some odd years old, and not a spot of rust, or anything that even resembles wear, my 11-87 rusted within the first few months of owning it. Currently looking for a replacement.
Underradar wrote:Cowards and queers. Worse, cat-lovers.

I shoot cats, if I can't run over them in my jeep first. If I do run over them, I shoot them anyway.

The Brother Hood of S.P.A.M.
S. society for the
P. proliferation of
A. alcoholic
M. meandering
JustinD
hunter

Location: About 4 blocks away from the legendary LAMBEAU FIELD, WI

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:40 pm

jim1752 wrote:ahhh,cmone you guysjohn moses browning built a shot gun beginning in 1902 that still works outstanding today.its called the auto 5.drag it behind apickup for 40 miles on a dirt road,it still shoots.take it to the arctic circle,it still shoots.use it on your hard headed retriever,it still shoots.forget about the dago guns.buy one browning auto and you will throw that spagetti bender in the dumpster. jim sheetz btw mine is 1 year younger than i,at 58 y.o.

congrats to you jim 1752, on every study ive read on inbreeding the life span is normally 45-48 years. your parents[brother/sister]must have been the rare exception in gene quality. the banjo gods have smiled upon you.
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 am

Ahhhh i love it! hahaha
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:24 am

Lets play nice or the topic will be locked.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum