Duck Hunting Forum banner

ithaca mag 10

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  solway gunner 
#1 ·
last season my mag 10 started to play up on me,and made me miss countless geese with misfires. i would take the misfired case out,and the primer would be hit. not hit hard enough i guess. other cases i would get the first shot off iit would reload and then click.. another mis fire. any body had problems with the mag 10 over the years? i was told that it may be to do with the bolt and recevier wearing away at the top giving slight movement and is non fixable? any idea on what my problem could be? ive got a wollf spring kit waiting here to go in but with this gun being 20+ years old im wondering if its mabie past its best? :thumbsup:

#4 ·
check the notch in the top of the barrel extension where the bolt lug locks up, this can become worn and allow the bolt remain open a bit but usually does not cause misfires and if the recoil spring is strong enough it will hold the bolt closed anyway. I would take it apart and clean out the fireing pin hole real good and inspect everything. Make sure the pin is straight too. I would start with a new recoil spring and hammer spring and see what that does for you. I would suspect that replacing these and a good cleaning of the bolt would help your issues, Use a pipe cleaner thru the fireing pin hole and make sure the pin moves freely.

#6 ·
If you want to sell that old war horse let me know? I have rebuild lots of rem trigger groups sound like a weak hammer spring or like the other gent said a worn pin .Those old guns had there problems cracked buffers one after another but they where the real first auto 10 ga. I wonder did rem buy there rights and are the sp 10 the same design not sure anyone know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.