anybody had a piston "sealed"?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: anybody had a piston "sealed"?

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 pm

The Drake wrote:So speed loads will still work with the heavier recoil spring ?

I hadn't checked the speed load so I just got done putting the heavy spring back in and yrs, the speed load works perfectly. I'll leave the heavy spring in and speed load it until the sure cycle breaks in. After manually cycling the action a bunch of times it will now single load thru the election port most of the time with just an occasional jam. I think that maybe storing the gun with the action locked open and then some heavy pounding from some magnum shells will take a little out of that spring.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
The Drake wrote:So speed loads will still work with the heavier recoil spring ?

I hadn't checked the speed load so I just got done putting the heavy spring back in and yrs, the speed load works perfectly. I'll leave the heavy spring in and speed load it until the sure cycle breaks in. After manually cycling the action a bunch of times it will now single load thru the election port most of the time with just an occasional jam. I think that maybe storing the gun with the action locked open and then some heavy pounding from some magnum shells will take a little out of that spring.

Are you running the sure cycle mag kit too, that spring is usually stronger as well. I always wonder about messing with the timing when going to a stronger recoil spring but using the standard stock mag spring.
The Drake
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:18 pm

My gun already had an aluminum follower, and the Maxus uses a special plug so I just got the spring. It does seen a bit more powerfully than the original one.

It's amazing how fast the action slams shut now. Before when I'd speed load I could see the shell move back, up, and forward. Now everything moves so fast I actually pulled the bolt back a few times because I thought the bolt rode over the top of the shell but it was in the chamber.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:43 pm

FYI, I'm sure the sleeve works fine, but there is another route you can take as well . . . http://gas-piston-springs.com/

Step by step instructions on replacing broken spring.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:21 pm

I have tried springs from gas piston springs.com in both of my Brownings. Their spring has held up fine in my silver hunter but the pounding delt out by 3.5 inch shells caused the one I installed in my Maxus to weaken to the point that it would vent off gas even with standard field loads. That caused it to short stroke. They made it right with me by giving me two more springs. The owner was thinking about trying different wire materials but unfortunately the last time I corresponded with Jyrki he was about out of his first batch of springs and he didn't think he was going to have any more of them made up. To bad. Jyrki was a great guy to do business with.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:20 pm

I got an e mail from Jyrki at gaspistonsprings.com today and he is getting another batch of springs made up.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Got my SX2 piston back from Jeff at SRM Sure Cycle today after having it "sealed". Will try it out with the light loads this weekend to see if that took care of the light load cycling problem.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby The Drake » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:09 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Got my SX2 piston back from Jeff at SRM Sure Cycle today after having it "sealed". Will try it out with the light loads this weekend to see if that took care of the light load cycling problem.

Well........?
The Drake
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Just wanted to post an update on how my guns been running since I had my piston sealed. I had originally installed a sure cycle to compliment the sealed piston but I wasn't quite happy with the way it performed in my Maxus. With the light spring my gun flung empty 3 inch hulls 25-30 feet, much further than my friends bone stock Maxus. I didn't want to subject my hunting partners to the possibility of being wacked in the side of the head by one of these high speed projectiles so I switched over to the heavy spring. With the heavy spring the action ran to fast and would cause jams with 2 3/4 length shells of any power level. Most of the jams were caused by the cartridge lifter not being able to lift the shell up quick enough. I did try cutting a few coils at a time off one end of the spring. I quit when I got to ten but it didn't help. I ended up finding that the gun actually ran best on the factory recoil spring assembly. I've had no problems with it since I went with the sealed piston and stock recoil assembly. Since my Silver Hunter lives on a diet of low base ammo and tends to get cranky after a couple hundred rounds I installed the sure cycle in it with the light spring and it is running like a champ.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Eli » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:18 am

orphanedcowboy wrote:Yes, works just fine, but it is designed to compliment their action system. Their light spring is heavier than the factory spring, and the action spring plunger is a thousand times better than the factory piece. I shot 4 rounds of Sporting Clays with a Maxus this past week and used down to 7/8oz loads with not one hitch. I am having everyone of my Gold's, Silver's, SX's and Maxus' done.

I will post up some pictures of the piston when I get home

First of all, Happy new year to all.
@orphanedcowboy, for some reason i am not able to view the pictures you posted for the piston seal... is it possible to post some pictures again? also, do you have the dimensions of the piston sleeve that was installed in lieu of the piston spring?

thanks you..
:beer:
Eli
Newb

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:23 pm

The Drake wrote:
tenfingergrip wrote:Got my SX2 piston back from Jeff at SRM Sure Cycle today after having it "sealed". Will try it out with the light loads this weekend to see if that took care of the light load cycling problem.

Well........?

Sorry for not following up on the post. Got the piston back over a year and half ago and have had no problems since with the light loads. Still have the factory recoil spring in the stock and it cycles light loads/heavy loads fine now. Only problem I've had since is with the hammer not cocking which was due to debris at the back of the receiver, I think. A good cleaning with brake cleaner and a blow out with an air compressor and no problems since. (I tend to wait til it quits working and then clean it)
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm glad I noticed this topic as I've been considering having this done to my SX2. I installed the sure cycle in it about a year ago but I'm still not completely satisfied with the way the gun is running. With the heavy spring it will not cycle 3" loads reliably, but is 100% with 3 1/2s. With the light spring it cycles 3" loads but every now and again it won't close the action forcefully enough. I've broken the gun down numerous times and cleaned it heel to toe with no change, it doesn't seem to matter if I run it wet/heavily lubed or dry. The spring inside my piston is not broken though. I've been trying to get a hold of SRM but haven't been able to, if/when I do, I might just send them the gun and have them give it a once-over. It seems like the heavy spring ought to be able to cycle 3" loads reliably.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby winchester1852 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 pm

from what i read it sounds like the sealed piston and the sure cycle recoil spring package goes hand and hand. so if you seal your piston it should make your gun cycle the way it should.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm

winchester1852 wrote:from what i read it sounds like the sealed piston and the sure cycle recoil spring package goes hand and hand. so if you seal your piston it should make your gun cycle the way it should.

I heard back from Jeff at SRM. I explained what was going on and he said the spring is probably stuck in the open position, which isn't common but does happen. I'm going to send it out tomorrow to get it sealed up. He said it should cycle everything from decent target loads to 3 1/2s after.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Buckwild22 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Had my maxus sealed. Not even a box of mag goose loads later my bolt carrier cracked :mad: . Put the sleeved piston in a buddies gun so I can warrantee mine, first shot out of his broke the bolt carrier in the same spot. Not a good way to start goose season. Luckily the company was awesome about helping me fix my gun and worked out. Needless to say it has a spring back in it.
Lucky Duck Pro staff
Buckwild22
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 am

Buckwild22 wrote:Had my maxus sealed. Not even a box of mag goose loads later my bolt carrier cracked :mad: . Put the sleeved piston in a buddies gun so I can warrantee mine, first shot out of his broke the bolt carrier in the same spot. Not a good way to start goose season. Luckily the company was awesome about helping me fix my gun and worked out. Needless to say it has a spring back in it.

What rounds were you shooting?

Hypersonics?
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 pm

orphanedcowboy wrote:
Buckwild22 wrote:Had my maxus sealed. Not even a box of mag goose loads later my bolt carrier cracked :mad: . Put the sleeved piston in a buddies gun so I can warrantee mine, first shot out of his broke the bolt carrier in the same spot. Not a good way to start goose season. Luckily the company was awesome about helping me fix my gun and worked out. Needless to say it has a spring back in it.

What rounds were you shooting?

Hypersonics?

those hypersonic's are gun wreckers, its good they cost so much so people stay away from them.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Buckwild22 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Last edited by Buckwild22 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucky Duck Pro staff
Buckwild22
hunter

Postby Buckwild22 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Sorry I was shooting 3.5 inch fiochi Ts
Lucky Duck Pro staff
Buckwild22
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum