SBEII Barrel BULGED!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby Marlinhunter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:21 am

I got SCREWED! Well figured id start this topic out with that anyway lol. So in September of this year i purchased a Brand new SBE II. Right off the shelf of one of the local sporting goods stores. Ended up costing me $1700 after taxes... I liked gun, it feels great, and overall shot pertty well, did have a few jams but figured that it was just getting broken in. I have shot maybe 3 boxes of shells out of this gun, 2 boxes of doveloads and 1 box of duck loads as the season just really got going here. Well cleaning the gun the other day i noticed a small bulge about halfway up my barrel, you could actually see were the bulge had stretched the paint on the barrel.. So i called up the shop were i get it and they asked me to take it in. So i bring it in and the guy takes one look at it and says "yeap this guns done" gotta send it back to Benelli... I asked him how this could have happened. He tells me that because i shot Remington Hypersonic laods more then likely! Im like wait a second, ive been shooting these since they came out with no issues, he tells me this has been happening to more then a few guns with these loads and thats the real reason the ammo got pulled??? I am more then pissed, I bought a $1700 gun and now because it gets sent away i am going to miss my entire bird season(or at least the best month of it) without my new gun...And to top it all off the guys tell me benelli might not cover it if they think i shot these shells out of the gun! Im sure the look on my face at that time was priceless lol. And to finish this crybaby story i ask him how much a new barrel is for this gun, He tells $660 :no: ..... So we shall see what comes of this, but either way i have been screwed. Not sure who to blame here, crappy barrel, crappy shells? :fingerhead:

Thanks for reading my vent boys....
Marlinhunter
hunter

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:34 am

Ouch! A local gunsmith told my uncle that during a duck season most of the repairs are due to something insignificant like rust, mud, or marsh grass stuck somewhere in the action and causing a hiccup but on average he fixes around six truly broken shotguns per season. Last year the number was up to 18 and the majority of them were guns that were being fed the hypersonics.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:06 pm

He fed you a load of BS lol. There is no way the barrel would have bulged half way down from shooting hypersonic. The only way I could see this happening is if you had a wad or something stuck in the barrel, and then you fired a second shot. that is how most of the bulges happen. It is extremely hard to do with a benelli though, because if you had a weak shell the action would not have worked. If this is what happened, it must have been on your 3rd shell, then your next load bulged it.

He should not have had to send the whole gun in anyways, he should have called benelli arms and sent the barrel, and offered to sell you a replacement. More than likely, benelli is going to send it back to you and say there is nothing they can do since it was not the guns fault.. Then your know it all salesman will probably charge you the shipping to Italy both ways if that is where it had to go, you do not even want to think about how much this is going to cost.

If you have to pay for everything, I would put a $800 price on it after tax.
BBK
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:48 pm

No need to send the entire gun back.
Call Benelli CS and tell them that you want to send the barrel in for inspection.
PM me if you need a direct contact with Benelli to help facilitate the process.

They may also be willing to send you a replacement barrel in advance, with a hold against your credit card.
That's how they did a replacement rifle stock for me some years ago.

ALWAYS follow the manufacturer's guidelines regarding the use of no tighter than modified choke with steel shot.
tucker301
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:54 pm

The first four letters in the word "hypersonic" pretty much cover it.
Sound travels at about 1,126 ft per second.
Every waterfowl load I know of is hypersonic. :no:
tucker301
hunter

Postby SumToy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:39 pm

They will ask for the shell and all that you was shooting out of it. I have seen them ask you to send the box in. Now that said you can call them and mail it back. You will get more out of them then the dealer will. :thumbsup:

Now have not ran into the hypersonic deal with them or other guns. I have seen alot of chokes swell and stick. The shell that worries me with the smaller bore guns was the Black Clouds. The wad is bigger then the bore and has very little give. They say it is safe so don't see how they can say that the hypersonic did it. I know of guys shooting Nitro Turkey loads and they are big and hot.
Air Traffic Control & Fowl Play then ask do you want to eat em or kill em..
SumToy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:58 am

I have fired 4 boxes of hypersonics thru my SBE II this year, #2's and BB's. Last year I shot up a box of #4's and so far I have not had one issue from the. but I do not like how hard they slam the action open, You can "hear" the difference in how the gun cycles. I do not like them but I had to either shoot them up or trash them. They do not pattern well for me at all.

On to your barrel bulge, You mentioned that you had a few failures to cycle, This could have been due to light loads and one of those wads could have stuck in the barrel, The next round fired would have caused your bulge.

I have a brand new in the box 26" Max-4 Barrel with all the chokes ( I was going to make my 28" a 26" but ended up buying another SBE II with a 26") I paid $625 from the dealer and will Sell it For $550 shipped If Someone needs it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:10 am

For me, shooting 3" mag shells has never made me feel limited shooting geese. It is my opinion that the 3.5 " shells are not necessary to pursuse waterfowl, and they are more of a marketing deal than any thing, along the lines of a nose extender.

We see the OP wasting money on HYPERSONIC shells as normal, garden variety shells are not enough. The result is a bulged barrel in the early part of duck season. Sometimes bigger is not better.

I wonder why anyone would want a gun that shoots 3.5 inch shells. Look at how you really use the gun- shooting light loads and duck loads.

Its not the size of the gun, its how you use it that matters. My cousin limited out last weekend with a 20 gauge shotgun (M2)

Thanks for listening to MY vent.

Sorry you are having problems. I hope it works out for you.

edited by mod for content.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:50 pm

:hijack:
TomKat wrote:I wonder why anyone would want a gun that shoots 3.5 inch shells. Look at how you really use the gun- shooting light loads and duck loads.

I personally shoot "duck loads" of 3.5" ammo all season for duck and goose, #2 @ 1625fps. And I use the same SBE II for sporting clays "light loads" , and with a barrel change, Sabots too. Why not have a gun that can shoot 3.5" ammo would be my question :huh: if your going that route, Why have a gun that shoots 3" just stick with 2-3/4" loads :thumbsup:

TomKat wrote:My cousin limited out last weekend with a 20 gauge shotgun (M2)

My dad has always used 2-3/4" 12ga reloads for duck and goose hunting, And never has any issues bagging the birds. He never used 3" lead or steel but has a Winchester SX2 3.5" gun. The 3" and 3.5" guns were priced the same and the option of 3.5" is there if wanted. He only uses the 3.5" for early and late season giant Canadas just for the extra pellet density on these hugh birds.

But even though I know I can do all my waterfowl hunting with a 2-3/4" gun and still take home limits, I just like options :beer:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby DanJeffandJack » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:01 pm

TK I have a 3.5

I too like options.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:34 pm

jensenja wrote:TK I have a 3.5

I too like options.

Dr Jensen, you have one of every gun, you will have options the rest of your life. :eek:

Also, you are pretty tall and I could see where your SBE2 would fit you better than some of the other guns in your arsenal.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:38 pm

I too like options.

Same here. Buying a waterfowl gun without a 3.5 inch chamber is like buying a pick-up without a V-8. Sure you may not need it all the time but it comes in handy once in a while.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:25 pm

I see no point in 3.5" chambers myself. man did we get off topic fast!
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby Ned S » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Those Rem shells has a tube over the primer up to the shotcup filled with powder, this gives the shell a two stage detonation, the first to lift the ejecta up and the second to burn and continue the ejection. If the tube is damaged you get a helluva a spike which could cause a bulge. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:56 am

could be possible ned,bennelis are notoriously tight in the bore ,my old sbe1 was nominal.729 the new ones are the same;its certainly not been shot with a wad stuck up the barrel or hed have been in casuality by now.,minus sight and fingers.
the warranty should cover it comprensively as these guns are "superior italian steel proofed "to 1370bar which equates to 19k psi,all tested in the factory and clearly visible stamped on your reciever as two asterisk like marks **
because of their unusualy high pressure testing,italian guns are the ONLY guns which can be sold in the uk without being submitted to proof house for proofing,before being sold through gunshops.,they unpack them,and put em on the rack ready to go as soon as they get them .
with the new gun,in the box,they used to put in a5 piece of paper with italian superior proof etc etc written on it.,
therfore you should have NO issues with anything .
solway gunner
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:41 am

clampdaddy wrote:

I too like options.

Same here. Buying a waterfowl gun without a 3.5 inch chamber is like buying a pick-up without a V-8. Sure you may not need it all the time but it comes in handy once in a while.

When I was considering a new waterfowl gun, I chose my M2 Field over the SBE2 based on feel. Meaning, the M2 balanced and shouldered much more smoothly...it felt like it was a better balanced gun, swung so perfectly for me. The SBE fit well too but not as good as the M2. I couldn't justify paying more for the SBE2 when the M2 was much more comfortable to shoulder, the M2 was clearly meant for me. That was my reasoning...couldn't pass it up especially for the price I paid for it.

TomKat wrote:For me, shooting 3" mag shells has never made me feel limited shooting geese. It is my opinion that the 3.5 " shells are not necessary to pursuse waterfowl, and they are more of a marketing deal than any thing, along the lines of a penis extender.

We see the OP wasting money on HYPERSONIC shells as normal, garden variety shells are not enough. The result is a bulged barrel in the early part of duck season. Sometimes bigger is not better.

I wonder why anyone would want a gun that shoots 3.5 inch shells. Look at how you really use the gun- shooting light loads and duck loads.

Thanks for listening to MY vent.

Sorry you are having problems. I hope it works out for you.

I have only fired a handful of Remington Hypersonic loads out of my M2. Recoil wasn't bad but like Waterfowlhunter stated, the cycling of the bolt had a distinct sound which I didn't like. Besides, a 3" 1 1/4oz load motoring at 1700fps just seems to punishing on a gun, even more for a semi auto (in my mind, probably doesn't matter but I don't want to subject my M2 to that internal abuse). Not a fan of Blackcloud, especially after some reports of barrel damage using it.

Being quite honest, I'll stick to my reloads and Kent Fasteel. Works well for me. :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby tmorelli » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:07 pm

If it makes you feel better, it only took Benelli 14 weeks to get me an ejector plate when mine broke under warranty. :mad:

When I got the $3 peice of stamped pot metal, I installed it in 5 minutes and listed it for sale about 5 minutes after that.
tmorelli
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Did the barrel happen to bulge right where the mag tube ring (?) is soldered to the barrel? A year or two ago a couple guys on one of the shotgun world forums had Winchester SX3 barrels bulge and even burst right there. No definitive answer ever came of it from Winchester but everyone was thinking that maybe the barrel steel got to hot and annealed when the ring was being attatched.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:Being quite honest, I'll stick to my reloads and Kent Fasteel.:thumbsup:

:hijack:

Love Kent, Yes I like to "try" all the new crap and make evaluations on paper and in the field. But I have come to realize after doing this since the 70's when steel was mandated and more recently with all the hyper, hevi, hex, flighstopper hype that good old steel works just as good as any of it. Kent 1625 loads take any birds I point it at at any range I have to shoot. and it is $17 a box of 25 :thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Wahoosnwingbeats » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Sorry this isn't a benelli oriented post, but I was looking at a spent hypersonic shell today in the boat, the brass itself was cracked ( I'm assuming due to the amount of pressure these things carry)
Quack'm in, whack'm low, stack'm high.

Less time posting= more time hunting
Wahoosnwingbeats
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:12 pm

See jonesy and waterfowler and all you guys with benelli's if u had bought a maxus you would be all set i shoot hypersonic and blackcloud and max spits them out like a champ patterns them well and the barrel is in tip top condition guess no one builds like the buck.

THE BEST THERE IS.
Attachments
browning.jpg
browning.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 5214 times
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:54 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:See jonesy and waterfowler and all you guys with benelli's if u had bought a maxus you would be all set.

I bought one of the first maxus available, Did not last one season, Constantly jammed with federal premiums and Kents. Other guys hunting with me tried it and they too had issues. I had it looked at and was told that they are hit and miss for jamming. On the pattern board I could not get the patterns I wanted so back to the reliability of the benelli (has never FTF or FTE) and offloaded the Suxus. They should have stuck with the gold IMO :thumbsup: .

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
duckinismyluckin wrote:See jonesy and waterfowler and all you guys with benelli's if u had bought a maxus you would be all set.

I bought one of the first maxus available, Did not last one season, Constantly jammed with federal premiums and Kents. Other guys hunting with me tried it and they too had issues. I had it looked at and was told that they are hit and miss for jamming. On the pattern board I could not get the patterns I wanted so back to the reliability of the benelli (has never FTF or FTE) and offloaded the Suxus. They should have stuck with the gold IMO :thumbsup: .

Haha, I was going to respond to that post by quoting some of your previous posts regarding your experience with the Maxus, but then I thought it would be better left in your own words! Thanks Waterfowlhunter :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby jrode237 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 pm

duckinismyluckin wrote:See jonesy and waterfowler and all you guys with benelli's if u had bought a maxus you would be all set i shoot hypersonic and blackcloud and max spits them out like a champ patterns them well and the barrel is in tip top condition guess no one builds like the buck.

THE BEST THERE IS.

Awww, look......they let you off the short bus long enough to make a post.
jrode237
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:42 pm

jrode237 wrote:
duckinismyluckin wrote:See jonesy and waterfowler and all you guys with benelli's if u had bought a maxus you would be all set i shoot hypersonic and blackcloud and max spits them out like a champ patterns them well and the barrel is in tip top condition guess no one builds like the buck.

THE BEST THERE IS.

Awww, look......they let you off the short bus long enough to make a post.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum