SBEII Barrel BULGED!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:54 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:
duckinismyluckin wrote:See jonesy and waterfowler and all you guys with benelli's if u had bought a maxus you would be all set.


I bought one of the first maxus available, Did not last one season, Constantly jammed with federal premiums and Kents. Other guys hunting with me tried it and they too had issues. I had it looked at and was told that they are hit and miss for jamming. On the pattern board I could not get the patterns I wanted so back to the reliability of the benelli (has never FTF or FTE) and offloaded the Suxus. They should have stuck with the gold IMO :thumbsup: .


Haha, I was going to respond to that post by quoting some of your previous posts regarding your experience with the Maxus, but then I thought it would be better left in your own words! Thanks Waterfowlhunter :thumbsup:


:beer:
If I ever have a problem with any of my Benellis I will definately post it too. :umm: most know that I like browning Golds and X2/X3's. but having to disassemble a gun (more than once) while standing waist deep in the marsh because the bolt is jammed half closed while my cousin is dropping geese on me really made me long for my SBE :hammer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI


Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby duckinismyluckin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:40 pm

If I ever have a problem with any of my Benellis I will definately post it too. most know that I like browning Golds and X2/X3's. but having to disassemble a gun (more than once) while standing waist deep in the marsh because the bolt is jammed half closed while my cousin is dropping geese on me really made me long for my SBE




MMMMMM KY.
duckinismyluckin
hunter
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby duuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:13 pm

benelli's suck. theres nothing more to say on this
jehler wrote:Comparing flambeau to ghg is like comparing horseshit to cowshit
User avatar
duuck
hunter
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby Feather Seeker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:03 pm

sorry off topic a little,but if i paid 1700 + for a shotgun,there would be no question of whether i sent it back at the first miss fire.or fail to do anything.i paid way less for my pickup that starts every time i want it to.not trying to drag any mud,but i will never pay that much for a shotgun or any other gun for that matter and have not,and yes i own many guns that has not failed.just ragging a little because of the guys in here that tell all the newbies that unless they buy a B gun or spend a small fortune they arnt going to get any game or are wasting their money.just my honest experience.
Feather Seeker
hunter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby youngoilguy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:59 am

What ever happened to the guy with the bulged barrel on the SBEII?
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.


best quote ever
User avatar
youngoilguy
hunter
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Ohio (not in a flyway)

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby tripleb » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 am

It can be hard to determine the cause of the bulge without doing an actual close physical examination of the barrel ... perhaps even cutting it apart and doing a microscopic examination of the steel. Usually, if there is a barrel obstruction, the bulge will be observed as a "ring" completely, or nearly so, around the barrel. If the bulge is just in one spot, it suggests a weak spot in the steel. That can happen and not be the fault of the gun maker. Unfortunately, when you turn the barrel over to the manufacturer you aren't likely to get it back, unless you specifically ask for it and pay the return shipping charges. And, unless you have a metallurgical engineer with testing equipment available examine it, you'll likely never know the real cause of the bulge.
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby Park Duck » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:10 pm

youngoilguy wrote:What ever happened to the guy with the bulged barrel on the SBEII?

I tell ya what happened its called operator error
User avatar
Park Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:52 am
Location: Natchez Ms

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby duckinismyluckin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:15 pm

yeah well i would put any maxus or and buckmark against italian dog terd shot thrower any day of the week. I just think there is a lot of maxus haters just because. They all wanna talk crap. And jonesy i got my maxus in the fall of 09 and it's been pullin feathers kickin ass and taken names. I also think i know your jamming problem.
Attachments
browning.jpg
browning.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 918 times
duckinismyluckin
hunter
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby duckinismyluckin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:16 pm

If an't got a buck it just plain SUX.
duckinismyluckin
hunter
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby wvugunner92 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:48 am

I know of 4 instences last season of barrels bulging or seperating at the end bc of Hypersonic. Call it BS if you want but it has happened, and continues to. I work at a sports store and hear the horrior the stories all the time.
Lock em nd Drop em
User avatar
wvugunner92
hunter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby wvugunner92 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:49 am

duuck wrote:benelli's suck. theres nothing more to say on this




and this guy is a bitter dude...
Lock em nd Drop em
User avatar
wvugunner92
hunter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:16 pm

No he's not bitter he just tells the truth and doesn't cash a paycheck from benelli usa on it. Hey i here a super vinci comes with facebook friends and a twitter account. To bad it doesn't come standard with a 100 predead mallards.
duckinismyluckin
hunter
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby wvugunner92 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Here we go…(and yes I the word “here” correctly in my sentence,) another outrages Benelli hater story. Truth be known, I doubt you have ever owned one, but you will say you have. If not, I’m sure your best friend has one and it’s a “piece of ****”? No? A friend of a friend of a friend had one that jammed in the blind with you?
I don’t go around saying other shotguns “suck,” and if I did I would at least back my opinion up with some sort of fact. No my feelings are not hurt, I love my Benelli and I would be dammed if I were to have anything else in the blind with me. 100 pre dead ducks was funny? But I have had much more fun killing my ducks as they come in, and yes with a Benelli. :clapping:
Lock em nd Drop em
User avatar
wvugunner92
hunter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby mw46 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Shouldn't remington pay for it? If its really a hypersonic problem? I saw a test with different loads (steel shot) at various distances, and anything much past 25 yards, the difference in velocity was negligible, at least with muzzle velocities greater than 1500 fps
The coot fighter
User avatar
mw46
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:35 pm
Location: MS

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby BBK » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:00 pm

wvugunner92 wrote:Here we go…(and yes I the word “here” correctly in my sentence,) another outrages Benelli hater story. Truth be known, I doubt you have ever owned one, but you will say you have. If not, I’m sure your best friend has one and it’s a “piece of ****”? No? A friend of a friend of a friend had one that jammed in the blind with you?
I don’t go around saying other shotguns “suck,” and if I did I would at least back my opinion up with some sort of fact. No my feelings are not hurt, I love my Benelli and I would be dammed if I were to have anything else in the blind with me. 100 pre dead ducks was funny? But I have had much more fun killing my ducks as they come in, and yes with a Benelli. :clapping:


I'll post with facts. My father bought a benelli SBE 1 a few years ago, that gun has jammed or acted funky more times in the blind than I have EVER seen with any other gun. now I have personally cleaned this gun after the first couple days he had a $1500 single shot, and can assure you the gun was properly cleaned and taken care of well. It is super picky on what shells it will eject/feed. But I heard if you spend extra to upgrade the mag spring then it will help.. why would you need to after market update a "perfect" gun?
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby mw46 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:17 pm

After 3 different benelli's (i tend to buy and sell guns rather impulsively) I've had exactly 2 FTE with the brand. They both happened within minutes of each other from the same box of ammo. Except for the fact that their matte black finish SUCKS, I don't have much negative to say about them.
The coot fighter
User avatar
mw46
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:35 pm
Location: MS

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:13 am

wvugunner no i tell it straight. I don't a benelli and for good reason. I have seen SBE 2 problems and m2 field finger snapings. I just won't i just don't like them i think there an inferior product for the price a highend benelli for what u get is a 800 to 1000 dollar gun thats all.
duckinismyluckin
hunter
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:18 am

Reason i say it sux if it an't got a buck is well because remingtons are heavy and jam benellis have horror stories like i have stated. I have never seen a bad or heard bad about beretta. I have seen mossbergs cycle funky. I have seen remington sp 10's get people stuck in the mud cause there so heavy. I have never seen bad about browning Hence if it an't gotta a buck it sux. Just my experiences thats all.
duckinismyluckin
hunter
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby Park Duck » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:38 am

I've seen more bps and golds jam up more than anything.
User avatar
Park Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:52 am
Location: Natchez Ms

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby aunt betty » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I've heard that tons of guns can't take the newer high speed loads and I suggest that we all think twice about feeding that type of ammo through our firearms.

I'd have had to ask the person who sold this gun and said "it has to be the ammo" a question?

What if I shot Black Cloud? Does the gun explode then? and why the hell didn't you tell me this when you sold me the *** ****ed gun in the first ****ing place you ***hole?

I've seen a Browning that messed up the day it was bought. I mean the poor guy had a brand-new shotgun that didn't work AT ALL.
He ended up buying three shotguns in one weekend...

The quality goes down and the price goes up...it's a fact these days. Blame it on a computer glitch.

I'll stick with my OLD Remington pump guns thank you.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11675
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Just haters but i agree remington 870s are best pump. But thats hard i have seen tons of brownings shoot great. I like to blame the operators as well. People make more gun matinence mistakes than they realize. But aunt betty brand new that's in excuseable.
duckinismyluckin
hunter
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby T Man » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:Just haters but i agree remington 870s are best pump. But thats hard i have seen tons of brownings shoot great. I like to blame the operators as well. People make more gun matinence mistakes than they realize. But aunt betty brand new that's in excuseable.


Please just stop. Your grammar and grasp of the English language is atrocious. This is not me being a grammar nazi, your posts are both illegible, and fail to convey your point. You managed to misspell inexcusable twice....you misspelled the same word twice...Your "Browning or nothing" attitude is truly ignorant, and shows your complete lack of knowledge on anything but your backwoods inbreeding ways. Its great that you saved up all of your food stamps so you could buy it. We are all truly proud of you, but step back and realize there are guys on here who have owned it all, and can buy and sell em without even noticing it in their account. (Round these parts, we put our money in bank accounts, not coffee cans...im not even gonna try explaining the concept of interest to you)

But I digress. I have had my M1 field for 10 years now, and have passed an honest 12k rounds out of it. That works out to 1200 rounds a year, or just shy of 5 cases of ammo, or 50 boxes a year, and have had exactly 2ftfs out of it, and that was due to wet shells. Based on my experience with this, if I were an ignorant fool such as yourself I would proclaim Benelli to be the greatest shotgun ever. But I know better. The fact is, all of these guns everyone gets so butt hurt about are mass produced, and being mass produced there WILL be errors. Some guns have poorer standards of quality control, and become lemons (11-87 anyone?) but there will be bad in every bunch. The whole "my gun is better because:" is possibly the dumbest argument, right up there with the "my truck is better because:" . Before you ask about my experience, I will offer this. I am not an expert in the field, nor am I even that knowledgeable. All I can claim I did was work in a gun store my family owned in highschool. I saw lots, and lots, and lots and lots of guns come in and out of our doors, from sales, to repair, to modification, to warranty work. There isnt one that is better. Thats all there is to it.

Long story short duckin, please stop. You are welcome to your own opinion, but when you spew grammatical abortions such as you do, it impacts everyone else. You offer nothing of value to anyone on here. You arent even good to sit and laugh at, and because you are on the internet, and not here in person, I cannot even garner the simple pleasure of throwing rocks at you.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5767
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby tripleb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:21 am

Benelli makes a very good shotgun .... albeit overpriced, as most of them are these days. Their only deficiency, for shooting high velocity steel shot, is their tight bore. They used the antiquated Mobil choke system for a long time, but that's changed in their upscale guns. For the average guy who doesn't clean his shotgun more than once or twice a season, the Benelli inertia system is often the best choice. For a guy who is recoil sensitive, a gas auto may be better if he is willing to clean it regularly and often. In the Army, we cleaned our firearms after every use in the field.

One of the problems that gun makers face is the very loose tolerance control that ammo makers have with their shotshell ammo. That's usually why people sometimes have to try different brands of ammo with certain guns to make the gun reliable. That's true with Berettas, Brownings, Mossbergs, Remingtons, and Benelli's. And, it's even more true when speaking of semi autos than when speaking of quality pump guns.

That's the primary reason I use a quality pumpgun, BPS's, 2 3.5" 12ga and one a 10ga ...... I pull the slide to the rear, then forward. It loads a shell into the chamber. I pull the trigger, pull the slide to the rear and it ejects the fired case, readying the next round to be loaded into the chamber ..... over and over again .... in all kinds of weather, in all temperatures, with weak shells and with strong shells. As long as my left arm works, the gun works.

If you want the same reliability with a semi auto, you're often not going to get it. It's the price you pay for not having to work a slide with your left arm, though using quality ammo and cleaning your gun after every use will usually help improve reliability with any semi auto.
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:25 pm

TomKat wrote:For me, shooting 3" mag shells has never made me feel limited shooting geese. It is my opinion that the 3.5 " shells are not necessary to pursuse waterfowl, and they are more of a marketing deal than any thing, along the lines of a nose extender.

We see the OP wasting money on HYPERSONIC shells as normal, garden variety shells are not enough. The result is a bulged barrel in the early part of duck season. Sometimes bigger is not better.

I wonder why anyone would want a gun that shoots 3.5 inch shells. Look at how you really use the gun- shooting light loads and duck loads.

Its not the size of the gun, its how you use it that matters. My cousin limited out last weekend with a 20 gauge shotgun (M2)

Thanks for listening to MY vent.

Sorry you are having problems. I hope it works out for you.


:clapping: :clapping: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clapping: :clapping:
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Palmer, Alaska

Re: SBEII Barrel BULGED!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:54 am

tripleb wrote:If you want the same reliability with a semi auto, you're often not going to get it. It's the price you pay for not having to work a slide with your left arm, though using quality ammo and cleaning your gun after every use will usually help improve reliability with any semi auto.


I have only one pump and it is a BPS 20ga that I use for tree rats. I just do not like them that much and have always had semi-autos for bird hunting. Never had any jamming issues with my auto 5's or Benellis (with the exception of light loads that the gun is not intended to work with anyway) but I have had 11-87's that are constant jammers as were a couple of Golds and the one Maxus I had. I always find myself back with the Benelli in the blind when I want total reliability. I have considered trying the new Beretta A400 Xtreme but they are $250 more than a SBE II (paid $1249.00 ea for the last 2 comfortech camo on gunbroker). And the fact that the safety is in the wrong spot. Just does not feel natural to me.


On to the topic, It is NOT always the shooters fault that a barrel buldges, if you are shooting a quick follow-up shot and a wad stayed in the barrel you can easily cause this issue without even knowing it. I have seen buldged barrels on guns on the used rack that were so slight that you could feel them if you run your hand down the barrel but due to the camo dip on the gun you could not really see it unless you knew where to look. on a blued barrel a buldge sticks right out to me.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests