Beretta 3901 Swivels - HELP

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Postby jph4387 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:42 pm

I know it's been talked about before but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. I recently got a 3901 in Max 4 and I want to attach a sling. Some of the options I am looking at are below and I need some questions answered if someone could please help.

Beretta Swivel Cap - It is listed on Beretta's site for the Extrema and I wondered if this cap would allow me to get it in Max 4 to match by gun. Will this cap fit and work for what I need or is it a different size?

Uncle Mike's Adapters - I have seen some that attach to the barrel it appears and some that would require drilling into the magazine cap. If I went this route does anyone know which one to get? I see so many different ones and there are some that say they have a special adapter for 390's. What are they talking about?

Aftermarket Swivel Cap - This could work and I see them online but they only come in black it appears and I can't get it Max 4. Is there anyone that has these in camo? Do they work?

I know I could a sling that wraps around the stock and barrel but I'd prefer to have the clean look of a sling swivel setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Re: Beretta 3901 Swivels - HELP

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Funny you should ask...

I JUST put a sling on my Beretta 390 minutes ago.

The gunsmith ordered a magazine cap (I thought) but he got one of them uncle Mike's kits and handed it to me and said, "it's easy".

I thought about drilling the cap but I noticed the hole in the magazine cover. There is a piece in that kit that fits the hole and has these little crown things (not sure what they are called). There is also a special tool that is way too short but I extended it and managed to tap the crown things down into the keyway that holds the swivel in.

It's not exactly an easy job but I did it that way (no drilling required). I don't know if the 3901 has that hole but if it does...the method I described works. Don't use the swivel with the nut but the one that just has a little groove (keyway) cut near the end.

I just didn't feel comfortable drilling holes and was really surprised to see that there was enough clearance for everything to work smoothly when I got done. Make sure and pound that crown thing down good once you get it seated correctly.

Beretta 005.jpg

Beretta 006.jpg

Beretta 007.jpg
Last edited by aunt betty on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:57 pm

That would be great if you have pics. Also, do you know which kit it was from Uncle Mike's? They have so many I wasn't sure which one.

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:08 pm

UNCLE MIKE'S #1231-2 for 1" slings is the kit I used.
Has way more stuff than what was needed as I only needed the front swivel stud.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby jph4387 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:47 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your help.

-Ted Nugent
jph4387
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Now if I could just go back in a time machine and help myself...I'd have bought the kit at Walmart or ****'s and saved myself 10 bucks probably.LOL
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Bul Rush » Sat May 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Hey guys I just got my 390 yesterday and stumbled upon this thread now my attention was to drill out the end cap and call it good however I've heard that it can effect the gas exhaust. I really like what u got going on aunt Betty, was that by design or did you figured that out as u went?? How has that sling held up??
Bul Rush
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 pm

I just posted another swivel option I came up with. You can read it here:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=189438

I like the system Aunt Betty posted but noticed that flange hole is actually a gas port so I didn't want to block it, although it may not actually affect the gas system.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 30, 2012 6:26 am

If you look on the third picture it shows the swivel stud from the rear. That is the part you don't see when the shotgun is assembled. The little ring is made out of aluminum and the stud is made of steel.
Steel+Aluminum+moisture=rusty steel. (I mean QUICK!)

Eventually after hunting daily for about 7-8 weeks the steel stud rusted enough to where the aluminum ring slid off. I was walking along and it just came loose and I was sling-less. I really like the Uncle Mikes sling stud but the choice of materials was poor. If the retaining ring was made from stainless steel the sling would still be on the shotgun.
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum