Shotgun Saltwater Protection? Teflon?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Shotgun Saltwater Protection? Teflon?

Postby vp1016 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:31 pm

I duck hunt saltwater marshes every week during duck season, and I always make an effort to prevent rust on my shotgun. I do a full break down and cleaning (trigger mechanism and everything) every time I take my gun out. While I have not had any problems with rust (other than some cosmetic damage to the outside of the barrel), most of my hunting buddies have gone through several shotguns due to rust. I am about to purchase a new Benelli Super Black Eagle II, and I want to take extra measures to prevent rust. A co-worker of mine suggested that I have the gun coated in Teflon. I am wondering what the pros and cons are of coating a shotgun in teflon and how much of a rust preventative it is. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated .
vp1016
hunter

Re: Shotgun Saltwater Protection? Teflon?

Postby tucker301 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:09 am

Getting it done by Birdsong in Black-T would be the best option, but DiamondKote would be a close second.

http://www.black-t.com/technicalinfo.htm
http://www.mrarms.com/
tucker301
hunter

Postby dduckman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:12 am

thought the new benellis have corrosion protection from the factory?
dduckman
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:09 pm

dduckman wrote:thought the new benellis have corrosion protection from the factory?

Nope.
tucker301
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Our season opened thanksgiving day, I have hunted about 10 times ,fired about 20 shells and havent even run a rod down my mossy 935 yet....
No skips, no jams, no sweat....

You're over thinking it.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:28 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I have hunted about 10 times ,fired about 20 shells and havent even run a rod down my mossy 935 yet....
No skips, no jams, no sweat....

Wow! 20 rounds and no problems with the Mossberg?
Is that a record? :tongue:
tucker301
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:27 am

Hardy har--
You get my point.
It's a great gun...I would buy another in a second.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:38 am

A very good friend of mine had an old Remington Model 11 that was given to him that he used almost every day of the waterfowl season. Always in salt marshes, by the way. He is incredibly hard on his guns, and believes in cleaning, "once a year, whether it needs it or not." If a screw fell out, he replaced it as best he could. If a part broke, he usually got a new part from Numrich Arms and fixed it himself. He recently retired the gun because he couldn't get parts anymore. It had a rust patina all over it, and looked like a classic old American fowling piece. But as long as the the parts held out, it was functional.

Personally, I like how the old rust blued guns develop that bronz color as they "rust". Sort ov evokes memories of the old times. But, pretty much like you, I break down my gun after every trip and give it a real good cleaning. In fact one of the reasons I stopped using doubles for waterfowl is that it was a real pain to pull the stock every time. One of the things I've found to help prevent rust is using WD-40. Now, I know that the stuff is not good for guns, but it works well if you do it right. First I break the gun down into component sub assemblies, including removing the bolt. Then I spray the parts with a liberal application of WD-40 and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then, I wipe as much of it off as I can get to. Next, a liberal application of Break Free CLP or Rusty Duck will get rid of the remaining WD-40 and start the cleaning process. Last, if you prefer, you can use some RemOil on the outside surfaces of the gun as additional pretection against rust.

Like Slack, I don't think that it really needs all that attention. But it sure doesn't hurt, and it does extend the time that the guns are in my hands! :lol3:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:14 am

Funny you mention Rusty Duck, I never heard of it before and I bought 2 cans of it at a show last year and I like it a lot.
For day-to-day cleaning I swab out the barrel, use compressed air to blow out the action and then get in there with a Q-Tip and spray to get any gunk out. Wipe the outside with a rag and then blow it out again.
For periodic cleaning on the 935, I clean the ports because that's the real Achilles heal of this gun.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 am

Back when we still had ducks on the coast I hunted the salt marshes alot. Back then I hunted with a 870. I had it Teflon coated and never had a rust problem with it. I still own it but it is a house gun now because of being 2 3/4" chambered. What I noted was even where the Teflon had been worn or scratched off the metal still seemed to resist rust better than blued steel. That was 30+ years ago.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:32 pm

When I hunted a lot off the coast of Maine I had an SP-10, 11-87 and HK SBE. The 1187 rusted just taking it out of the case but still functioned as long as I carried a supply of "O" rings. The sp-10 did not seem to have the same rust issue as the 1187 although it looked to have the same finish on it. :huh: the old HK was the workhorse and was often put in the case wet but never once developed a spot of rust. But I did clean them once I got back to the homested (if I had time). I just wiped them down inside and out with an ATF/acetone/kerosene mix and put them away. The guy I hunted with had a Winchester 1300 and it never developed any rust either.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Any coating on the gun will help prevent rust while hunting in the salt.
I have been using my Nova for 7 years hunting seaducks offshore, it has the camo dip which helps keep the salt off the metal. A good cleaning after every hunt and no rust to date on the gun.

If I had a blued gun I would get a camo dip or teflon coat.
Last edited by Major Woods on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:52 pm

I've heard the Versa Max basically won't rust since it's made entirely of stainless steel or aluminum... Just a thought in case you aren't totally set on a B gun
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby maclavin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:47 pm

BGipson wrote:I've heard the Versa Max basically won't rust since it's made entirely of stainless steel or aluminum... Just a thought in case you aren't totally set on a B gun

What you heard was wrong. Some aluminum,plastic, and a steel barrel with a crome bore if I am not mistaken. And that is the outside of the gun. The inside is full of steel parts.

Mike
maclavin
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:56 pm

According to the guys on another thread you are incorrect. They own the gun and hunt saltwater areas so I would tend to believe them. Here's the link for reference.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=177531&hilit=versa+max
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby halfscoop » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:33 am

I own a sbe 11 and hunt SF bay all season. It has a factory camo job. I too clean after each trip, but there has been a little rust on the bolt only. I purchased some rust preventive and since then no more rust on the bolt. Last season I purchased a Super Vinci and used the preventive from the start and no rust so far.
halfscoop
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 am

tucker301 wrote:Getting it done by Birdsong in Black-T would be the best option, but DiamondKote would be a close second.

http://www.black-t.com/technicalinfo.htm
http://www.mrarms.com/

Thanks for the info Tucker. Probably gonna have the black T done to my M1 barrel.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum