gun greese

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

gun greese

Postby ffmcfaull » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Looking for a good all temp gun greese for my xtreama 2 and all my other guns. What do all of you guys use? Thanks, Ross
Watching one sunrise at a time
ffmcfaull
hunter

Re: gun greese

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 am

Light thin oil, no grease
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 pm

The red synthetic grease in the syringe ..... sold under the brand name, Shooters Choice
tripleb
hunter

Postby Woodyard » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:04 pm

orphanedcowboy wrote:Light thin oil, no grease

Agreed for semiautos. I use STOS (slicker than owl sh*t) on the hinge pins of my two-shooters.
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I have been messing with Remington 1100s for 40 years - - - this is the best I have found.

Spray a little into the lid and soak a Q-tip and apply to the area that requires lube.

Spray some on a piece of terry cloth and use that to wipe any surfaces to prevent rust - - -

Grease does not migrate like oil does - - -
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:20 pm

I like white lithium grease too and use it on all of my guns but the coldest it gets down to in my area is the mid 20s so I don't know how it would do in real cold weather.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Loose Wire » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. Much cheaper then Shooters Choice Red. Can get it at Wal-Mart.
Attachments
m1g.jpg
m1g.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Loose Wire
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:05 am

:thumbsup:

Grease is for bearings and garage door tracks not guns, :yes: Light thin oil or your own ATF based mix (high pressure lube that works in all temp ranges) and I can make a gallon for about $12. works great on AR's too. basic grease is a combination of oil and soap. The new synthetics and lithium are of course not made this way but they still collect dirt and dust more than light oil and they are tacky when cold. I have tried gunslick and it worked ok on my HK 45's but not any better than my ATF Mix. Gunslick is a anhydrous graphite but IMO it acts like grease.. I have tried most products out there and still recommend the light machine oils.
P1030868.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 am

I like using Breakfree CLP. I know its nothing quite as fancy as some of the others that have been mentioned already but I have had really good luck with it. However I should state that in Western Oregon it only gets down to mid or low 20's on occasion, perhaps even lower now and then, but definitely nothing outrageous that I have to be too concerned with freezing.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Augusta » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:

:thumbsup:

Grease is for bearings and garage door tracks not guns, :yes: Light thin oil or your own ATF based mix (high pressure lube that works in all temp ranges) and I can make a gallon for about $12. works great on AR's too. basic grease is a combination of oil and soap. The new synthetics and lithium are of course not made this way but they still collect dirt and dust more than light oil and they are tacky when cold. I have tried gunslick and it worked ok on my HK 45's but not any better than my ATF Mix. Gunslick is a anhydrous graphite but IMO it acts like grease.. I have tried most products out there and still recommend the light machine oils.
P1030868.JPG

Can I ask what this ATF based mix is? Thanks
Augusta
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 pm

There are MANY atf mixes that people have used and swear by. I use ATF with a bit of Kerosene and have added acetone if I am using it in a spray bottle to thin it out. I have added 3 in 1 oil that I had lying around with no other use for it. I have used power stearing fluid in place of ATF just trying different mixes. The point is guns have used basic oil for over 100 years and they worked just fine without the fancy name grease and lubes out today.

Here is an article about gun oils. http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Another one about ATF http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/clean_lube.htm

and here is pretty much the one I use http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby j-gens » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:05 pm

i dont know about shotguns but i love the lubriplate sfl #0 for my sig p229 makes it ride like butter
j-gens
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:07 pm

There are lots of old double guns out there that have soft oil soaked stocks because their owners didn't know that you are supposed to use grease on them.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby dduckman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:59 pm

shooters choice fp-10 there is nothing better. no grease.
dduckman
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 pm

+1 for FP-10....its is the best!!!
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:59 pm

dduckman wrote:shooters choice fp-10 there is nothing better. no grease.

I have a bottle of FP-10 and see no difference in it and Hoppes gun oil other than Hoppes being about 1/8 the price.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dduckman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:25 pm

use the fp 10 for long enough and you will notice that your gun is easier to clean and also fouls less in the first place, hoppes is a nice oil but does not compare in my opinion.
dduckman
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:45 am

High temperature moly grease. I also use tri flow oil and break free, but they are on the pricey side.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby ffmcfaull » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks guys. My extreama is very tempermental. If its not clean, it won't cycle. And by clean, I mean after every box and a half of Kent shells. I brought it to a local gunsmith and he recommended a grease that you can't buy local. Great gun when it cycles. So I figured a lubricant that can withstand some carbon would be perfect for a couple hunts. Thanks again
ffmcfaull
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:55 pm

ffmcfaull wrote:Thanks guys. My extreama is very tempermental. If its not clean, it won't cycle. And by clean, I mean after every box and a half of Kent shells. I brought it to a local gunsmith and he recommended a grease that you can't buy local. Great gun when it cycles. So I figured a lubricant that can withstand some carbon would be perfect for a couple hunts. Thanks again

Why not shoot shells that arent as dirty as a $2 hooker? Id find something that shoots cleaner.

I couldnt take a gun hunting that couldnt handle 2 boxes of shells without being cleaned, that shouldnt be happening. But a grease is going to pick up more dirt and debris than a thin film of oil that most gun makers suggest to use, and a thin film of oil wont slow down the action like a grease would.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby gcs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:46 am

Waterfowler, what do you think about substituting the ATF with the newer synthetic ATF'f?
gcs
hunter

Postby ffmcfaull » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:46 pm

I agree with you on the guns cycling issues being more than frustrating. I'm chocking it up to user error right now. I know there has to be a good combo that will allow the gun to cycle for a while in between cleanings. And yes, kents are super dirty shells. But I have a lot of confidence in kents. They shoot amazing for me. So I'm not yet ready to move on to another shell. I think I have the answers I need to play around with some different products and find one that works. As of now I'm trying out remmington dry lube in the spray can. Thanks for all the help guys
ffmcfaull
hunter

Postby Honkers41 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:09 pm

CLP for my benelli!
GUNS~UP~FEATHERS~DOWN~!
Love My Mossbergs!!
Honkers41
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:04 am

gcs wrote:Waterfowler, what do you think about substituting the ATF with the newer synthetic ATF'f?

Works fine, Have not have not noticed any difference at all so it probably is not worth the extra cost but again if you can make a gallon of the ATF gun oil for the same price as a quart of the fancy stuff then it is still a savings and a better oil IMO.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby klf » Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 am

Give Mobil one synthetic 5w20 a try. It is cheep and is uber over-engineered for a firearm. I have been running it in my AR's for years. A quart will last forever. Also look up Ed's Red bore cleaner. You mix the stuff yourself out of readily available ingredients. For me it works better on wad fouling than anything. Most specialty firearms lubes and cleaners are no more than mineral oil and naphtha or kerosene with stinky stuff added in a pretty bottle and a catchy name.. Just check the MSDS.
klf
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum