SX3 GAS PISTON

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SX3 GAS PISTON

Postby btharp2624 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 am

I have a 3 year old SX3 and the spring inside my gas piston broke.

1) would this be covered under any type of warranty through Winchester?
2) if not covered under warranty is it something that can be fixed or do I need to replace the entire gas piston?

I've never had an issue with the gun until this season so i'm hoping if Ifix this it will continue to be flawless.

Also, I have the gray shadow version and I've been thinking of getting it camo dipped or getting duracoat put on. The duratouch is starting to peel and turn green.

Anybody have experience camo dipping over the duratouch or does it need to be removed first? Is there a way to remove the duratouch myself? Thoughts on duracoat?

Thanks in advance!

Ben
btharp2624
hunter

Re: SX3 GAS PISTON

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Probably will not be a warranty item,but it is orth a try

You can buy a replacement spring, have the piston sealed or buy a new piston.

Search broken maxus springs, broken silver springs, broken browning springs and you will find a ton of information.

For $35 Jeff Hajjar will seal the piston, remove the spring and replace it with a sleeve, and eliminate this issue altogether.

Sealed:

Factory:

Sure Cycle
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:06 am

I'll have to look into getting the piston sealed. Sounds like it's the way to go.

Thanks for the help!
btharp2624
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:01 am

I had the piston in my Maxus sleeved by SRM Performance too. I ended up making my own sleeves for my Silver and my uncles Gold.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:50 am

Just a quick question. What does the sleeve do that makes it better than the spring and does it still work well for all load types?
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:26 pm

steelheadslayer wrote:Just a quick question. What does the sleeve do that makes it better than the spring and does it still work well for all load types?

The sleeve just eliminates a problematic weak link (the spring). Once the piston is sleeved it becomes solid with no venting action. It made my Maxus shoot light loads better and it runs way cleaner. No more black soot to stain the camo on the barrel above the piston. SRM claims that it doesn't increase rearward bolt thrust but after the first box of 3.5 inch shells I did notice that the rear of the bolt peened the rear or the receiver a little more than it had with the venting piston but since then it seems like there has been no change. I'm guessing the recoil buffer was squishing down a little more and now the clearances have evened themselves out.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:32 pm

i've read about a light spring and heavy spring for the sure cycle system.

1) Is this for the magazine tube or action tube? (i'm assuming action tube)
2) What is the difference between the light and heavy?
3)does the kit come with both springs or do you have to order separately?

Thanks!
btharp2624
hunter

Postby The Drake » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:52 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
steelheadslayer wrote:Just a quick question. What does the sleeve do that makes it better than the spring and does it still work well for all load types?

The sleeve just eliminates a problematic weak link (the spring). Once the piston is sleeved it becomes solid with no venting action. It made my Maxus shoot light loads better and it runs way cleaner. No more black soot to stain the camo on the barrel above the piston. SRM claims that it doesn't increase rearward bolt thrust but after the first box of 3.5 inch shells I did notice that the rear of the bolt peened the rear or the receiver a little more than it had with the venting piston but since then it seems like there has been no change. I'm guessing the recoil buffer was squishing down a little more and now the clearances have evened themselves out.

I would think it has to increase the bolt speed. Think about the pressure that it must take to move that spring, let alone break it.........Also, if it was just a matter of eliminating the spring why didnt Browning do it from the start when they made the Maxus, a gun they had developed for 4-5 years ? Also if the bolt speed is faster then is recoil greater ?.........If bolt speed is faster does the factory recoil spring now work properly or do you need a stiffer spring for 3" loads as opposed to 2.75 trap loads ?
The Drake
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 pm

The Drake wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

I would think it has to increase the bolt speed. Think about the pressure that it must take to move that spring, let alone break it.........Also, if it was just a matter of eliminating the spring why didnt Browning do it from the start when they made the Maxus, a gun they had developed for 4-5 years ? Also if the bolt speed is faster then is recoil greater ?.........If bolt speed is faster does the factory recoil spring now work properly or do you need a stiffer spring for 3" loads as opposed to 2.75 trap loads ?

I hear ya'. I was a bit concerned specifically about bolt speed before having the mod done so called SRM and talked to them for a while about it. They claimed it wouldn't increase much and if any. I believe that it did increase the bolt speed some but not enough that it is going to beat up the gun. I had tried their sure cycle but in my gun the light spring was to light for me to feel good about shooting a mag load with it installed. With the heavy spring installed it slamed the action shut so fast I was getting jams. The factory spring worked best so I put the sure cycle in one of my other guns with the light spring installed for dove and trap loads. My buddy has an alomost identicle maxus that still has a factory piston so I shot them side by side and here was no noticeable difference in recoil and ejected shells landed in pretty much the same piles with 2 3/4 inh and 3 inch shells but mine chucked the 3.5 inchers a bit further.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:03 am

I'm still a little confused on the light vs. heavy spring. When you order the sure cycle system does it come with both springs? I don't really shoot any 3.5's anymore so i don't know that i would need the heavy spring anyway.

Anyone have experience getting the full tuneup from Jeff? Is is worth the extra cash or is it good enough to just do the surecycle system and magazine upgrade and maybe do the tuneup later? my gun is 3 years old and probably has 2000-3000 rounds through it.
btharp2624
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 am

btharp2624 wrote:I'm still a little confused on the light vs. heavy spring. When you order the sure cycle system does it come with both springs? I don't really shoot any 3.5's anymore so i don't know that i would need the heavy spring anyway.

Anyone have experience getting the full tuneup from Jeff? Is is worth the extra cash or is it good enough to just do the surecycle system and magazine upgrade and maybe do the tuneup later? my gun is 3 years old and probably has 2000-3000 rounds through it.

Yes, the sure cycle comes with two springs.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 am

btharp2624 wrote:I'm still a little confused on the light vs. heavy spring. When you order the sure cycle system does it come with both springs? I don't really shoot any 3.5's anymore so i don't know that i would need the heavy spring anyway.

It comes with both. My Super X2 wouldn't cycle 3" 1 1/8oz load consistently with the heavy spring - I swapped in the light spring and it cycles everything. For me the surecycle was all my gun needed, plus I didn't want to have to send my gun off in the middle of the season.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Jeff did a full tune up on my Maxus and it has been bullet proof, not one failure of any kind, other than me trapping the trigger. I have ran it about a 1000 rds between cleanings and it still chugs along. Cold, wet, frozen or dirty it is unstoppable, to me the best money spent. I have 3 more that are going to him after the season closes for his complete package and tune up.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:50 pm

How much did the full tuneup cost after shipping and everything?

I've never shipped a gun before so what's the best way to do it?
btharp2624
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 pm

You would have to look on his website, I think shipping was less than $50 total.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I've been useing JnPgunsprings on (3) 7 year old Browning Gold 3 1/2" guns with Great success ,we have been shooting them all this season . They seem to be a stronger spring by , the speed of the bolt . I talked to the Owner of the company and was told
that they have a Browning Gold spring Kit which gives you all the springs to rebuild the gun . IT Worked For Me !
You can contact thier web-site ect: jnpgunsprings.com
3200 man
hunter

Postby toptrigger » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:43 pm

orphanedcowboy wrote:You would have to look on his website, I think shipping was less than $50 total.

Could you post a link to his website?
toptrigger
hunter

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 am

toptrigger wrote:
orphanedcowboy wrote:You would have to look on his website, I think shipping was less than $50 total.

Could you post a link to his website?

I am interested as well in have this done on my SX3.
Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 am

Here is the link.

http://surecycle.com/store/pc/home.asp

I'm shipping my gun out today to get a full tune-up from Jeff, including having the piston sealed and new stainless parts.

I will let you know what I think when I get a chance to shoot it again.

Any advice on shipping a shotgun? I've never done it before and am not sure what the easiest/cheapest way to do it is.

Thanks!
btharp2624
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 am

I shipped mine in the factory box, inside another shipping box. IIRC it was about $25 to ship insured priority mail. Just use quality boxing tape and you should be golden.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 am

what is IIRC?
btharp2624
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 pm

IIRC: If I Recall Correctly
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 am

I just got my gun back from SRM. I had my piston sleeved and the sure cycle system installed. Also had a complete tuneup done.

Question...I don't shoot 3.5 shells. For those of you who have the sure cycle system would you recommend the heavy spring or light spring?

i'll be using the gun for trap this summer as well.

I'll post some feedback once I get a chance to put some rounds through the gun (hopefully this weekend)
btharp2624
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am

btharp2624 wrote:I just got my gun back from SRM. I had my piston sleeved and the sure cycle system installed. Also had a complete tuneup done.

Question...I don't shoot 3.5 shells. For those of you who have the sure cycle system would you recommend the heavy spring or light spring?

i'll be using the gun for trap this summer as well.

I'll post some feedback once I get a chance to put some rounds through the gun (hopefully this weekend)

My SX2 with the sure cycle wouldn't cycle 3" shells with the heavy spring. I would try it with the heavy first though and if it isn't reliably cycling switch to the light spring.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Light for clays, heavy for everything else
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum