SX3 GAS PISTON

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: SX3 GAS PISTON

Postby The Drake » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:05 pm

btharp2624 wrote:I just got my gun back from SRM. I had my piston sleeved and the sure cycle system installed. Also had a complete tuneup done.

Question...I don't shoot 3.5 shells. For those of you who have the sure cycle system would you recommend the heavy spring or light spring?

i'll be using the gun for trap this summer as well.

I'll post some feedback once I get a chance to put some rounds through the gun (hopefully this weekend)

What is all entailed in the "complete tune up"
The Drake
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:33 pm

honestly, i'm not exactly sure what he does, but it's all on his website.

maybe someone else can answer with more detail? or you can call Jeff and ask him.

www.surecycle.com
btharp2624
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 pm

not trying to hijack, but are the gas pistons the same as the browning gold pistons? i see brownells and midwayusa sell replacements for the browning golds but not winchester. midway has fnh piston assemblies, but they are light or sporting clays not "regular"
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:33 pm

The complete tune up includes polishing/clearancing the rails/bolt, sealing the piston and installing the magazine kit and action spring kit.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the info.

Have you noticed the gun being heavier after the sure cycle being installed? Does this help with recoil or is it about the same?
btharp2624
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:41 am

It might add a few ounces, but it isn't noticeable to me.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby btharp2624 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Shot a few clays this weekend using the heavy spring. I used 2-3/4, 1-1/8oz. Trap Loads but it didn't cycle real well. Does the heavy spring need to be broken in or should I just plan on using the light spring for clays?
btharp2624
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Light for clays, heavy for everything else
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:08 pm

btharp2624 wrote:I have a 3 year old SX3 and the spring inside my gas piston broke.

1) would this be covered under any type of warranty through Winchester?
2) if not covered under warranty is it something that can be fixed or do I need to replace the entire gas piston?

Anybody have experience camo dipping over the duratouch or does it need to be removed first? Is there a way to remove the duratouch myself? Thoughts on duracoat?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

1) Yes, Browning (same service department, same company) will warranty the part, in my experience. They replaced mine free of charge when I broke that carbon steel spring several years back.

2) Is doable, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. http://gas-piston-springs.com/

You'll need to remove the dura-crap before dipping that gun, or when exposed to moisture it'll bubble up and take the camo off. Most folks that dip guns will take it off for you (for a fee, of course). I've used paint stripper in the past, but if you go that route, be careful, because over-exposure will eat your composite stock. As for the duracoat, its pretty much industrial-strength paint, and my understanding is that Sherman Williams has a version of the exact thing available for purchase. I will say that my brother-in-law had his gold painted with CeraKote, and the results are quite good. Google that stuff.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum