Firing Pin - Extrema2

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Firing Pin - Extrema2

Postby PNW HUNTER » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Can anyone tell me how to take apart an Extrema2 firing pin assembly (bolt)? Mine took a dunking in salt water, and although I rinsed it good I want to clean it. The bolt is the last and only thing I have not had apart.

Thanks,

jds
PNW HUNTER
hunter

Re: Firing Pin - Extrema2

Postby gtlegs » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Assuming you already have the bolt out, hold a littler pressure on the back of the firing pin. There is a small silver pin towards the back of the bolt, slide it out carefully as the firing pin will have spring pressure pushing it out once you remove the pin. Next remove the bigger silver pin/bushing out of the top of the bolt. The bolt will now seperate. Be careful not to lose the two springs and be careful not to damage the small o-ring on the firing pin.
gtlegs
hunter

Postby PNW HUNTER » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Excellent, it came apart fine and really needed a cleaning. The small o-ring is shot, it's cracked probably from diesel I used cleaning the bolt. If you know who sells these, let me know. Thanks for the instructions for dismantling it.

jds
PNW HUNTER
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:58 pm

PNW HUNTER wrote:Excellent, it came apart fine and really needed a cleaning. The small o-ring is shot, it's cracked probably from diesel I used cleaning the bolt. If you know who sells these, let me know. Thanks for the instructions for dismantling it.

jds

Brownell's sells them. I even think it is part 77 on the exploded view. I keep them on hand.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/si ... 1-Xtrema-2
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Did you ever get it back together?
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby PNW HUNTER » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Yes I did get it together, I love extremas, thus have a second one with a slug barrel. I took the o-ring out of it to find a match, and found the closest one I could at the local Carquest. we'll see how it works, now that I know how to take it apart and clean it, I'll try not to soak my bolt in diesel anymore. I just looked on Brownells, looks like they are only $2.70 ea, but out of stock. I will likely get a few of the stock ones, couple the order with something else I can think of.
PNW HUNTER
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum