American Arms WT/OU out of sequence

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

American Arms WT/OU out of sequence

Postby fxrcleve » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:24 pm

I have had an American arms (made by Fausti in Italy) WT/OU since 1998 (which is a camo'ed 26" O/U NWTF edition 12ga 3 1/2") I love it due to it's fast swinging short barrels and 3 1/2" versatility. Recently I noticed it not striking the bottom primer hard enough to fire.

I removed the stock and gave it a good cleaning where I saw some debris in the firing pin hole which hopefully was the cause. However I had a dummy attack at this point and I placed my finger over the 2 firing pins and pulled the trigger to compare the force.
Apparently pulling the trigger while the barrels are not on the receiver is not such a good idea as I now have something out of time.

It will no longer cock the triggers (internal triggers) automatically and it ejects the shells when the action is opened, even when they are live rounds. I emailed Fausti for advise on either the trick of getting back in the right sequence or the name of a smith that actually knew how to get it back in time.

I was told they did not know of anyone qualified in the Cleveland Oh. area that could do this and they recommended sending it back to them where they would send it to their MASTER GUNSMITH in Italy (International shipping $$$$$$) for the repair at his hourly rate.

I questioned this reply since I don't believe anything is actually broken, I believe it is just out of time. I have not heard back from them.

Has anyone else had a similar experience (Dumb AXX ATTACK) and had to figure out how to reset everything back in time. I am pretty mechanical and repair industrial equipment all day long but I don't see the correct configuration of the way this works as of yet. I believe it is basically an American Arms Silver(Italian version not the Spanish) but accepts 3 1/2 " Shells instead of only 3". Later they were marketed as Traditions and they no longer sell shotguns except for their high end Fausti Stephano line.
fxrcleve
hunter

Re: American Arms WT/OU out of sequence

Postby ohio mike » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:16 am

Call Clelands in Swanton Ohio.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby jpari » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:59 am

I can only advise you to keep calling smiths until you find one who can give you the correct remedy. I once had a very nice LC Smith grade 3. I did exactly what you did, snapped the triggers without the barrels on the action. Well after doing so I could not put the barrels back on the action. It took about five calls to different sources to find someone who could tell me how to put the cocking rods back in the proper position to allow the barrels to be put back on. Keep calling, you will find someone.
jpari
hunter

Postby fxrcleve » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks guys,

Ohio Mike, I will 1st try calling Cleland's.

Jpari also thanks for saying you have done this too. That leads me to believe this is something pretty common that local smiths probably deal with often. I will keep checking around if Cleland's don't know, till I find someone knows something.
fxrcleve
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:02 am

jpari wrote:I can only advise you to keep calling smiths until you find one who can give you the correct remedy. I once had a very nice LC Smith grade 3. I did exactly what you did, snapped the triggers without the barrels on the action. Well after doing so I could not put the barrels back on the action. It took about five calls to different sources to find someone who could tell me how to put the cocking rods back in the proper position to allow the barrels to be put back on. Keep calling, you will find someone.

For Elsie owners, there is a special cocking tool available to remedy that situation...been there, done that. :oops:

BTW, DO NOT attempt to instally the forearm on an Elsie if you have snapped the triggers w/o the barrels on the reciever as serious damage could result.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby fxrcleve » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:53 pm

:beer: SUCCESS !!!!

I dug this out of the safe when a buddy came over and when I went to show him what it was doing it worked fine. But this time I had it completely assembled with the forearm also in place. The forearm is the key here even though the little fingers that do the resetting are behind it. There is still a small pc that needs to mate up with the rest of everything.

I also believe the original issue of light primer hits were due to using Fiocchi primers which are made of what look to be a type of stainless steel. I have not seen a missfire since I have changed over to Winchester brass primers. More trips to the range will prove this theory though.
fxrcleve
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum