rust

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

rust

Postby yarborough29102 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 pm

I was wondering if there was anything i could maybe coat or spray on the inside of the magazine tube, to keep it from rusting up?
yarborough29102
hunter

Re: rust

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 am

Lightly oil it and then clean it often especially if it gets wet or damp. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Crazy Matt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 am

High temperature moly grease. Use Triflow or Break Free to oil your gun up, I don't recommend WD-40 or rem oil.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm

TX_WATERFOWL wrote:High temperature moly grease. Use Triflow or Break Free to oil your gun up, I don't recommend WD-40 or rem oil.

Why would you want to grease the inside of the magazine tube? :thumbsup: In my experience with guys that bring me their non functional guns that they used grease on had a gummed up mess that has to be cleaned out especially if used in low temperatures :huh: .

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
TX_WATERFOWL wrote:High temperature moly grease. Use Triflow or Break Free to oil your gun up, I don't recommend WD-40 or rem oil.

Why would you want to grease the inside of the magazine tube? :thumbsup: In my experience with guys that bring me their non functional guns that they used grease on had a gummed up mess that has to be cleaned out especially if used in low temperatures :huh: .

Exactly. Never ever grease it. You are just asking for problems.

You need to wipe it down with an oil rag to get all the rust off then wipe it down every time your gun goes from cold to warm, or gets wet.
BBK
hunter

Postby mike cook » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:

OK NOW YOU TELL WHY NOT ! TELL THEM WHAT TO DO INSTEAD! ??????????????????????????????????? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"AMERICA FIRST" !
JOIN THE " NRA "
mike cook
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:37 pm

pour gas or brake cleaner in it
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Never had an issue with mine.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:54 pm

When you bring a cold shotgun inside the nice warm "juicy" house it will get wet Inside and out.
This kind of thing has made the inside of my magazine tube rust. I don't regularly clean out my magazine tube and should. I have had issues with moisture and rust in there. I guess you have to hunt every day and then it catches up to you. It will suddenly be icy cold one day and the shells get stuck in the magazine. It has happened to me several times.

To prevent this I started taking the gun fully apart and cleaning out the magazine tube every time it's about to get sub-freezing.
Most guys don't hunt every day in the freezing cold but those who do will tell you not to EVER EVER grease your firearms. Very light oil and only on certain parts ie: slide arms.

What I do is to oil my gun down with gun oil and then wipe every bit of it off including the guts inside and out. EVERY SINGLE PART.
Then I wipe down the parts again with a micro-fiber rag that I put a few drops of gun oil on and store in a jelly jar. The lightly oiled rag is what lubricates it all. Finally I'll put ONE DROP of gun oil on each slide. Some guns only have one slide but mine has two.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:57 pm

mike cook wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:Why would you want to grease the inside of the magazine tube? :thumbsup: In my experience with guys that bring me their non functional guns that they used grease on had a gummed up mess that has to be cleaned out especially if used in low temperatures :huh: .

OK NOW YOU TELL WHY NOT ! TELL THEM WHAT TO DO INSTEAD! ??????????????????????????????????? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WHAT :huh:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:02 pm

mike cook wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

Dont put grease in the magazine tube.... I dont think he could have gotten any clearer.
BBK
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 pm

BBK wrote:Dont put grease in the magazine tube.... I dont think he could have gotten any clearer.

You apparently missed what I was asking. The Statement from Mike Cook that said "OK NOW YOU TELL WHY NOT ! TELL THEM WHAT TO DO INSTEAD! ????????" Is what I did not understand. I am the one that said to lightly oil it and also not to use grease.... but do not understand what mike was asking. :huh:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

If you think about it...a guy from Texas has to deal with freezing cold weather how often? Compared to a guy from Michigan, Wisconsin etc...
Probably where he is from (Texas) it's ok to grease your guns. I don't know about Texas but it gets terribly cold here in Illinois during mid to late duck season. Ice is a problem.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:37 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
BBK wrote:Dont put grease in the magazine tube.... I dont think he could have gotten any clearer.

You apparently missed what I was asking. The Statement from Mike Cook that said "OK NOW YOU TELL WHY NOT ! TELL THEM WHAT TO DO INSTEAD! ????????" Is what I did not understand. I am the one that said to lightly oil it and also not to use grease.... but do not understand what mike was asking. :huh:

I was talking to mike.
BBK
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 am

BBK wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

I was talking to mike.

:thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:35 am

Got below 32 maybe 3-4 times this year in Texas. The lowest of those days was MAYBE 25. The grease isn't thick like your thinking, it is lightly put on. I have had no issues, and again...ITS HOT HERE
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Here in Nevada we start warm and end up with ice at the end of the season.

I clean my mag tubes,caps,springs etc before the season and after the season with solvent and then apply a light coat of oil to the spring. I try to keep my gun as dry as possible and if in the rain, place so the ejection port of the gun is on the bottom if on its side, to keep most of the water out of the action.

I hate rain but it is part of the game ,just means that you have to field strip to get 90% or more of the water off the gun, since
patches and solvents will usually remove what ever is left. Just don't be cheap with the patches and get er clean and dry, before you aply oil and put it away.
There are lots of products out there ............I am old school and use the heck out of Hoppes #9 and Kroil.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby The Drake » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:39 pm

The Drake
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Waterfowl shotguns get wet. It's pretty much a guarantee that the dog will at least shake off once near your shotgun. I have to clean the Beretta I use every day and keep it very clean or it will shaft me.

I have a back-up Remington 870 that always works but still needs to be cleaned (including the magazine tube and spring) sometimes or it will shaft me as well.

Water is your enemy.
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum