Recoil spring for SBE2

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Recoil spring for SBE2

Postby duck stamp » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 pm

I have a SBE2 which I have had for 7yrs, got it brand new and have never had any trouble with it. I keep on hearing trouble about the SBE2 recoil spring. I dont shoot it any more since I have a super Vinci so I am going to take it to a gunsmith and have them clean and replace the recoil spring and the mag spring so when my grandson can handle a 12ga he will have a all most new gun. now should I pay about $12 or $15 for a recoil spring or should I have a stainless steel recoil spring which I was told is about$100 ???? :help:
3 kinds of duck hunters, duck hunters that make it happen, duck hunters that watch it happen and duck hunters that wonder how it happen.
duck stamp
hunter

Re: Recoil spring for SBE2

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 pm

I havent replaced the factory spring in mine because it works fine, but a lot of guys on here really reccommend the Wolff springs.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Pappy84 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:38 am

I understood the recoil spring in a SBE2 was stainless. If its working good why replace it? I have a SBE1 from 1995 and replaced the recoil and mag spring with stainless in 97 due to rust. Even with the rust I never had a problem with it working as it should but did not want to break it down and clean it each time it got wet so I went with the Sure Cycle. Wolff springs will rust so you are better off with whats in the gun now. You or your gunsmith should just clean it and it will be ready for the grandson when he is ready for it.

He is a lucky boy!
Pappy
Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Pappy84
hunter

Postby duck stamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks for the Info, I think since my gunsmith is checking it out I told him to put a Wolff recoil spring and a new mag spring then I know it will be right on. thanks again Joe :beer:
3 kinds of duck hunters, duck hunters that make it happen, duck hunters that watch it happen and duck hunters that wonder how it happen.
duck stamp
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 am

No they are not stainless, at least the factory one in my M2 Field isn't. You should only pay about $12.99 for a 25% stronger recoil spring for your Benelli. With s/h I think mine came out to be about $20 shipped to my door. I've had my Wolff's spring installed in my M2 Field for over two full seasons now and it has been flawless. I shoot plenty of 2 3/4" 1oz. target loads for clays and I've never had a shell fail to fire, cycle or eject out of my gun while having the stronger spring installed. Its great, I will probably order a couple more this off season just to have extras for down the road :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:23 am

duck stamp wrote:Thanks for the Info, I think since my gunsmith is checking it out I told him to put a Wolff recoil spring and a new mag spring then I know it will be right on. thanks again Joe :beer:

I wouldnt reccomend the Wolff mag spring. Get the wolff recoil spring and the factory size mag spring....TRUST ME ON THIS
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 am

The recoil (action) springs in Benelli SBEII & MII are not stainless steel rather, chromed as to put stainless ones in would have likely precipitated a patent infringement lawsuit from SRM, Inc. and justifiably so especially after Benelli denied the need for action/recoil spring corrosion resistance for years before deciding to chrome plate them.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby The Drake » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:50 pm

TomKat wrote:
duck stamp wrote:Thanks for the Info, I think since my gunsmith is checking it out I told him to put a Wolff recoil spring and a new mag spring then I know it will be right on. thanks again Joe :beer:

I wouldnt reccomend the Wolff mag spring. Get the wolff recoil spring and the factory size mag spring....TRUST ME ON THIS

9 guys I hunt with have all went the route of Wolff spring in both their recoil and magazine.....they all swear by them. Had mine that way for 3 years and it never missed a beat.
The Drake
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 am

I have 3 SBE II's and all 3 have a lot of rounds thru them and all three have been USED, Wet, Dirty and put away that way. Never had any rust issues or spring issues with any of them. I did install a Wolff Extra power spring in my 28" gun just to see if it makes a difference. The gun still shoots and functions the same, No difference at all in function even with 2-3/4 dram target loads it is still the same. The ONLY difference I can see is that if you purposly bump the stock on the ground you can see the bolt move slightly on the 2 with factory springs and not as much on the one with the wolff spring. Also the ejected hulls do not go as far with the Wolff spring. I tried the magazine spring from Wolff and went back to the factory spring, IMO the factory Magazine spring is the better option.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:26 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:I have 3 SBE II's and all 3 have a lot of rounds thru them and all three have been USED, Wet, Dirty and put away that way. Never had any rust issues or spring issues with any of them. I did install a Wolff Extra power spring in my 28" gun just to see if it makes a difference. The gun still shoots and functions the same, No difference at all in function even with 2-3/4 dram target loads it is still the same. The ONLY difference I can see is that if you purposly bump the stock on the ground you can see the bolt move slightly on the 2 with factory springs and not as much on the one with the wolff spring. Also the ejected hulls do not go as far with the Wolff spring. I tried the magazine spring from Wolff and went back to the factory spring, IMO the factory Magazine spring is the better option.

Funny you mention this Waterfowl. :lol3: At the patterning board, made a measurement for comparisson between a buddy's SBE2 and my M2 Field shooting the same 3" loads. Both guns had a Wolff 25%+ stronger recoil spring installed....my M2 Field on average ejected those empty hull a good 6-7ft further than the SBE2 :lol3: Sometimes it makes picking up empties after a
hunt quite the challenge
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Only thing holding me back from putting a WOLFF spring in my gun has been worrying about how if would effect the gun ejecting 2 3/4 in shells. I spent big money on this gun and its my go to gun for everything from skeet and dove to ducks and geese. It functions flawlessly from the factory, and thats why I havent messed with it. Good to hear your gun shows no difference with the light loads, I might give it a try.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:16 am

PungoShoresOutdoors wrote:Only thing holding me back from putting a WOLFF spring in my gun has been worrying about how if would effect the gun ejecting 2 3/4 in shells. I spent big money on this gun and its my go to gun for everything from skeet and dove to ducks and geese. It functions flawlessly from the factory, and thats why I havent messed with it. Good to hear your gun shows no difference with the light loads, I might give it a try.

I'm assuming your gun is a SBE2? It shouldn't be an issue, so long as those 2 3/4oz. loads are minimum 1oz. and going 1250+fps. I've put a couple thousand 1oz. loads through my M2 Field with the spring installed and not one of those has had issues cycling. One gun I shoot with on a somewhat regular basis also has the spring installed in his SBE2, and as far as I know he's had the same success I have had. :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 am

UPDATE:

I shot 50 rounds of sporting clays yesterday using my 28" SBE II with the extra power wolff spring. The gun was clean as it always is but had issues twice. Both times the action failed to open all the way and therefore the next round did not cycle into the chamber. This was with Remington 3 dram eq 1-1/8oz sport loads. 3 dram AA's worked fine as did all of my 1oz reloads. could it be that Remington is not loading these to the spec listed on the box :huh: They were about $4.50 a box so I figured I would give them a try. This gun has over a case of ammo thru it since the wolff spring was installed with no issues prior to this. I will shoot the other 2 boxes thru one without the wolff spring conversion and see how they function.

P1010055.JPG

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 am

njonesy_07 wrote:
PungoShoresOutdoors wrote:Only thing holding me back from putting a WOLFF spring in my gun has been worrying about how if would effect the gun ejecting 2 3/4 in shells. I spent big money on this gun and its my go to gun for everything from skeet and dove to ducks and geese. It functions flawlessly from the factory, and thats why I havent messed with it. Good to hear your gun shows no difference with the light loads, I might give it a try.

I'm assuming your gun is a SBE2? It shouldn't be an issue, so long as those 2 3/4oz. loads are minimum 1oz. and going 1250+fps. I've put a couple thousand 1oz. loads through my M2 Field with the spring installed and not one of those has had issues cycling. One gun I shoot with on a somewhat regular basis also has the spring installed in his SBE2, and as far as I know he's had the same success I have had. :thumbsup:

Yea gun is a SBE II. Thanks for the info, good to hear, i'll probably get one in the near future. Ive been going with the "if it aint broke don't fix it" motto.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:59 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:UPDATE:

I shot 50 rounds of sporting clays yesterday using my 28" SBE II with the extra power wolff spring. The gun was clean as it always is but had issues twice. Both times the action failed to open all the way and therefore the next round did not cycle into the chamber. This was with Remington 3 dram eq 1-1/8oz sport loads. 3 dram AA's worked fine as did all of my 1oz reloads. could it be that Remington is not loading these to the spec listed on the box :huh: They were about $4.50 a box so I figured I would give them a try. This gun has over a case of ammo thru it since the wolff spring was installed with no issues prior to this. I will shoot the other 2 boxes thru one without the wolff spring conversion and see how they function.

P1010055.JPG

Im not real familiar with the wolff springs, but i do have a SBE2 and I was warned right when I bought it that since it was new i should shoot a mininum of 2 boxs of 3 1/2s to loosen her up. I did and I guess it did the trick because I have never had a issue cycling anything. Not sure if that helps ya any, but maybe your new spring just needs some heavy hitting to break it in.
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

wvugunner92 wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:UPDATE:

P1010055.JPG

Im not real familiar with the wolff springs, but i do have a SBE2 and I was warned right when I bought it that since it was new i should shoot a mininum of 2 boxs of 3 1/2s to loosen her up. I did and I guess it did the trick because I have never had a issue cycling anything. Not sure if that helps ya any, but maybe your new spring just needs some heavy hitting to break it in.

:thumbsup:

This one with the Wolff Spring has over a case of 3.5" Kent fasteel thru it. I am not complaining about the gun or spring at all though. Just the ammo. I think Remington is a bit off on the velocity of these. If you know your SBE's you know that they will open and lock at about 3/4 open and fully open when empty. These Remingtons lock the bolt open in the 3/4 position and the AA's lock it all the way open.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby T Man » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:11 am

I installed a wolf +25% in my m1 recently and have been very pleased. It cycled the cheap walmart winchester loads easily right out of the box. It is a worthwile upgrade in my opinion.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum