Cleaning Magazine Tube

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Cleaning Magazine Tube

Postby btharp2624 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Is it bad to use a scotchbrite pad or steel wool to clean the outside of your magazine tube? I have a SX3 and I've been using a scotchbrite pad to get the stuff that is tough to just wipe off with cleaner.

Just curious if after time this will affect anything or not.

Any reccomendations on a cleaner that will work? I've tried CLP and hopps and neither really works.

Thanks!
btharp2624
hunter

Re: Cleaning Magazine Tube

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Steel wool only, otherwise with scotchbrite it will only get harder each time. Scotchbrite is an abrasive pad, good for some things, but not for cleaning the outside or inside of a.magazine tube.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Ned S » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:29 pm

I use 0000 steel wool and carb cleaner. When it's clean I then use Break Free with CLP wiping off the excess and allowing it to dry. I use Carb Cleaner and Break Free CLP on all the parts. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:16 am

x3 on the steel wool. I use it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner after I wipe the "loose" powder residue off with a hoppe's soaked rag.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby btharp2624 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 am

so you use the steel wool with brake cleaner or just the steel wool and then wipe off excess?

Originally i was just using steel wool on its own then wiping off the excess with CLP. Then I moved to the scotchbrite pad. Obviously am going to stop using the scotchbrite.

can you give me a step by step when using steel wool?.

Thanks for the help!
btharp2624
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:04 pm

btharp2624 wrote:so you use the steel wool with brake cleaner or just the steel wool and then wipe off excess?

Originally i was just using steel wool on its own then wiping off the excess with CLP. Then I moved to the scotchbrite pad. Obviously am going to stop using the scotchbrite.

can you give me a step by step when using steel wool?.

Thanks for the help!

Simultaneously, spray the brake cleaner as needed.

1-wipe mag tube down with powder solvent to get majority off, this should remove all but a couple burn marks.

2-spray with brake cleaner, carb cleaner, breakfree clp, you can even apply powder sovlent

3-scrub down with steel wool, don't be afraid to apply some elbow grease

4-wipe down with clean rag to see if you removed all the powder residue, if not repeat steps 3 and 4 until it's clean
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby talltimber » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:02 am

Scotchbrite is an abrasive, and steel wool is not? :huh: Is the tube on that gun stainless?
talltimber
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Yes:

Scotch Brite pads are a great alternative to sandpaper and metal abrasives. Woven nylon will not leave metal on substrate, that leads to rust and discoloration. Rinse and re-use.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum