Length of 11-87 action spring?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Length of 11-87 action spring?

Postby talltimber » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 am

Cleaning the action spring on my 1187 today, first time since I bought it new about six or seven years ago. Had a couple of FTF's this year. This gun has had little use so far, maybe shot a case of shells through it, not much more than that if any. The cleaning was long overdue, as was evident when I took the butt off of it. Rusty. Had to bump the nut a couple of times with air impact to get it broke loose. Anyhow, even with the rust, the spring seemed like it moved well enough and had a lot of life to it. I thought about getting a wolf for it, but the spring seems to be in pretty good shape. I am trying to find a measurement on the original spring, without any luck so far, to compare to the current condition of my original spring. 3" gun.
talltimber
hunter

Re: Length of 11-87 action spring?

Postby youngoilguy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 am

I'd just replace it anyway if I were your. I had one in a 1 year old 11-87 that was 1.5 in shorter than a new one. Theyr'e $5, worth the investment. Additionally, if you store the gun action open, it's going to be depressed that whole time. :thumbsup:
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby talltimber » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:20 am

I didn't have one or I would have. I got plenty of time to get one now, though. Mine measured 13 15/16". I was just curious how long a new one was. Guess I can get one and measure it. :lol3: Couldn't find the length anywhere.
talltimber
hunter

Postby gcs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 am

All I know is when I replaced an old spring with a new factory spring, the new one was longer and gave a little more snap to the action. The old one was probably the same size...once.
gcs
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Place an order, and get 3-4 of them along with some gas seals (o-rings) those are the two parts of an 11-87 that will wear out the quickest. I replace them every 2 years or about 2,000 shells. Its cheap and will assure your gun works when that drake mallard is cupped up over the decoys.

Make sure you check your firing pin also, I've had two crack lately and needed replacing (was getting a FTF every once in a while, and that was the cause)
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm assuming that's a failure to fire and not a failure to feed. I don't put that many rounds through it to get 3 or 4 of them. The gun's about six yrs old or so, and I bet I haven't put a case of shells through it yet. I keep it for cleaner type hunts ( blinds, good weather, etc.) I did have a few failure to feeds this year. I decided it was probably about time to check/clean it. Second o-ring is still fine in it. I broke the first one taking it off during cleaning. I think I am going to get an aluminum mag follower, one for my 870 too. Been binding up every once in a while. Good old gun, I like it. It's like everything else, it needs some attention occasionally.
talltimber
hunter

Postby billybob12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 am

15 1/4
billybob12
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 am

Thanks billybob. That's quite a difference in what mine is.
talltimber
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:44 am

youngoilguy wrote:I'd just replace it anyway. Theyr'e $5, worth the investment. Additionally, if you store the gun action open, it's going to be depressed that whole time. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Just replace it, You have already done the work of taking it apart :thumbsup: light wire gauge Springs can get weak, I have seen it in guns stored loaded where the magazine spring will no longer function even though it is completely clean and lightly lubed.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby talltimber » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 am

I do that when season is in. Very rarely not two in the mag. of my 870.

I have already got it back together but I'm gonna replace it. Thinking about getting a Timney trigger to put in the 870 as well, for turkey hunting. Two alum. followers, one for each gun, mag. spring for the 870, and an action spring for the 1187. I haven't been able to find any locally. With the interwebs that's not a problem, but would give some local shops some business just because.
talltimber
hunter

Postby msuhunter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I have shot 11-87 and 1100 for over 30 years and never replaced the spring in the stock. A All American trap shooter who shot 1100's showed me a trick with them. After you have removed the spring cleaned it and the tube it goes into take the spring and stretch it out a little so it is longer reinstall it. You don't have to stretch it very much and it will work just fine. I use to shoot 5000 trap shells a year and never had a problem with that spring.httphttp://www.duckhuntingchat.com/foru ... 0&t=181936#
msuhunter
Newb

Postby rem1100pro » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 am

billybob12
The last few I have received from Remington were 15 1/2". A sagged spring will cause intermittent issues with certain higher speed 3" steel shot shells. It is not uncommon to find used springs in guns that are 14" or less in length. The cleaning of the tube (Action Spring Tube) that holds the spring is just as important as the spring on typical hunting guns. Trapshooters get a ton of rounds without issues of this spring due to their shooting environment. Guns that are leaned in a blind (or submerged if you are unlucky) when it is raining can get water in this tube. It is a good idea to clean this tube before storage for the next season. That sounds easy but removing the retaining nut can be a real issue if it is the first time it is removed. There are two kinds of nuts installed on the 1100 and 11-87 shotguns. The older guns came with an enclosed nut with a slot for a screwdriver for removal. The newer guns came with a long open end thinwall nut (11/16" socket size) that is much easier to remove as most will have a tool for the removal. The problem is these nuts get rusted and are tough to break free without the proper tools. Also it helps to put some Kroil on the nuts prior to first removal. Once the nut is removed the sping can easily be removed and measured. You can also clean the tube with a smaller gauge cleaning setup to remove any dirt or rust. I usually run a final cloth through the tube that is slightly (I do mean slightly or you can use Rem Dry-lube) to help prevent rust in the future. Too much oil attracts an retains dirt in this tube assembly. Finally I install anti-sieze on the threads prior to install the action spring nut so removal at a later date is very simple. Another suggestion is to use Loctite Silver Grade Anti-seize stick as this works excellent and in a stick format is not very messy. The Loctite Anti-sieze also works excellent on choke tube threads for easy removal. Hope this helps.
rem1100pro
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Getting the Wolfe spring should bring your gun back to it snappy old self. You can also stretch the spring as mentioned above, it will bring things back to life but only for a limited time.

Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:05 am

msuhunter wrote:I have shot 11-87 and 1100 for over 30 years and never replaced the spring in the stock. A All American trap shooter who shot 1100's showed me a trick with them. After you have removed the spring cleaned it and the tube it goes into take the spring and stretch it out a little so it is longer reinstall it. You don't have to stretch it very much and it will work just fine. I use to shoot 5000 trap shells a year and never had a problem with that spring.httphttp://www.duckhuntingchat.com/foru ... 0&t=181936#

That might work like the guy says but...when that spring got shorter it was because the "springiness" of the steel was affected by repeated use. This has a name. It's called "fatigue" or simply "tired metal".
Stretching the spring to it's original length does NOT restore the "springiness".
If I had a new spring and an old one...I could measure the co-efficient of "springiness" or "k" in engineer-speak for both springs and compare.
I'm quite sure that the new spring would be more powerful and would take more force to compress it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum