Ithaca Mag 10 project

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Ithaca Mag 10 project

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 pm

My Ithaca Mag10 is coming out as expected, or maybe better. I bought an un-fired standard grade gun, then found a seconf gun that was slightly damaged buy a fire. I had the barrel from the second gun cut down to 28" and had Briley install extended choke tubes. My handloads with BBs are great performers and with 3s are deadly on ducks. I notice that especially on cripples, the gun is more effective then a 12ga. 3" gun. I am stripping the wood from the second gun, it looks like it is high grade. It is going to be an attractice gun when finished and I will have spare parts. I am going to spend part of the off season developing more handloads, and pattern testing. I am very pleased so far. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Re: Ithaca Mag 10 project

Postby War Wagon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 pm

How about some pictures of this project ?
War Wagon
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 pm

As soon as I get some finish on the wood. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 pm

great guns i owned and shot them for best part of 20yr,some develop a few niggles as the years take their toll(rem cured them in sp10)most in uk are shot out now with an odd exception,but by and large look after it and it should give sterling service.,if the springs get tired wolf did a kit upgrade that would be worth investing in.,also the stock return spring fits straight in from an sp10 as does the firing pin spring too ,just in case wolf dont do the kit anymore.,good luck with it.
solway gunner
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 am

Shot a lot of geese and turkey with mine also...just had to modernise and traded mine in for a Gold 10 about 10 years ago...you can shoot steel in them fairly well if you use the right shot sizes and loads.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:49 am

I also have a deluxe, it is 32" full, should sell it I guess, can't shoot two of them. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:36 am

I had a table at a small gun show this weekend. I bought ANOTHER Mag10 from a dealer there. This one is a standard grade and has already been cut down and had Briley screw chokes added. When it rains it pours. I should have my Brownells order today, with the stock finish, and will get back on the other one. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:44 am

Did the first coat of finish on the Supream stock, it is outragous. I have graded Krieghoff skeet guns that are not as pretty. I hope it does not come out so nice that I don't want to hunt with it. I am using a hand rubbed oil finish that is easy to repair. I will post a picture or two in a few days. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby rewerts1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:38 am

I too have inherited a Mag 10 from my grandfather. It is the supreme grade and I am having the stock refinished. It had a lot of cracks in the original finish. My restoration guy had to buy stripper from the auto parts store since it was a catalytic type laquered finish. After three coats of stripper he says the wood is incredible! It has the 32 in. full choke barrel and the metal is 98%. I have been doing a lot of research and have bought some copper plated turkey loads in #4's. I have been told to not shoot steel from Les Hovencamp the original head gunsmith for Ithaca at the time of Mag 10 production. He is now in Ithaca N.Y. and runs Diamond Gunsmiths. He has a lot of parts if your looking. I had to find replacement swivels for my sling as mine were gone. I am looking for another barrel to cut down and add chokes as I am not yet ready to cut my near perfect original barrel. If you have any extras or run across anyone willing to sell one let me know. Matt in Iowa
rewerts1
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Here is the Ithaca stock, still need a few coats of finish.
Attachments
DSC_2462.JPG
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Here is another
Attachments
DSC_2464.JPG
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Matt

I used the barrel from the second gun I bought but still have a complete receiver. The trigger group seems to be in excellent condition. I am not sure if I will try to make a complete gun out of it, or sell the parts I don't need. Keep me in mind if you have a need. Ed
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby rewerts1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:02 am

I will keep this in mind. Do you have an extra barrel that you would sell? Matt
rewerts1
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:23 am

Did any of your guns come with a sling set-up on them? If you want to sell a sling assy. let me know....don
don novicki
hunter

Postby artsmag10 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:47 pm

As my email name suggests, I too, shoot the Ithaca mag 10.
I found some Kane gun chaps on line that fit my mag 10 and really like how they protect the wood.
Something you might want to consider if you use that refinished beauty.
One brief comment: be vigilant with those Briley choke tubes.
I keep excellent care of my equipment and somehow the IC tube is permamently stuck.
Two different gunsmiths gave up trying to remove it.
However, IC is deadly on waterfowl with 3's, 2's and BB's.
artsmag10
hunter

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:21 pm

nice lookin wood there!
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby rewerts1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:49 am

To Don. If you are in need of sling swivels, call Les Hovencamp in Ithaca NY at Diamond gunsmiths. He was the original gunsmith for Ithaca at the time the Mag 10s were built. He can hook you up with some parts. Otherwise I added some uncle mikes swivel attachements to the swivel pieces I ordered from him and attached a military style leather sling from Boyt harness. Matt
rewerts1
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:18 am

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. By the way that stock is beautiful, ALMOST too nice to leave the gun case, keep up the good work..... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks for the comments. If the gun was not so heavy we would not need slings. There are times where a set of wheels might be useful. Is the choke you have stuck a flush fit or extended choke? I bought a second gun, one with flush chokes and I was going to order another extended choke. eGrant59
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby artsmag10 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:26 am

Flush fit choke tube.

Didn't see your question until now.....
artsmag10
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum