Browning Gold Barrel hard to remove

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning Gold Barrel hard to remove

Postby Myrtle Grove Bob » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 am

My 4 year old Browning Gold's barrel is very hard to remove from the receiver when cleaning. It was very stiff when new, but has gotten considerably harder to dissasemble and to reassemble. There is absolutely no sign of rust. All the surfaces are like new. Its to the point now that I have to put the stock in a vise and tap the barrel to get it out of the receiver. Any remedy or reason for this problem? Anybody else with this problem? It has the Mossy Oak Wetlands finish, but that shouldn't make a difference. All contact points are bare metal. Newby to this forum and would appreciate all comments. Thanks
Myrtle Grove Bob
hunter

Re: Browning Gold Barrel hard to remove

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:00 am

I had one (X2) that was hard like that. Mine was tight where the barrel extension mates with the receiver. I used emery cloth on the top of the barrel extension and inside top of the receiver. after some time and effort it was smooth as silk. that is provided yours does not have some other alignment issue. best bet would be to try a different barrel on your gun and see if it has the same issue. and try your barrel in a different gun.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum