Recoil Springs.......

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Recoil Springs.......

Postby youngoilguy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:55 am

Just wondering, what do you all do when you clean them. I've found that cleaning them and not oiling them helps them keep from getting gummed up with powder residue dirt grime etc.

Do you oil your springs or tube before you re-assemble? If so what do you use and why?

Thanks.

:wink:
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Re: Recoil Springs.......

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Browning advised hunters with the old A-5 to just clean the mag tube and spring with solvent wipe off and put the unit together w/o any oil on the mag tube, for best results.

I follow that with my Beretta 391.........clean off the surface areas with solvent and put back together.
I do clean the piston area well and add a light coat of oil to the bolt area but not enough to where it will run back into the stock
when put away. Usually a clean rag with oil on it is all that is needed to keep rust away, with a very light offering of oil to
surfaces.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 am

not a hot topic I guess. I do what you suggested. I was just curious if anybody oils theirs.

thanks

:thumbsup:
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:19 am

I have been using an ATF mix for years in sub zero temps it has no problems at all. Works as good or better than any commercial gun oil and is about 1/8 the cost of some. you can google ATF gun oil mix or find one of many post here on DHC about it. ATF has cleaning properties, works great at extreame temperatures and pressures and does not gum up. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Recoil Springs.......

Postby DanJeffandJack » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:25 am

Like you I don't oil my recoil spring. Found it caused more problems than its worth when it got real cold.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum