No choke?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

No choke?

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:50 am

I bought a solid rib Winchester model 12 3" heavy duck, with a poly choke installed. It has 28 1/2" of barrel without the choke. Someone also had drilled it for a reciever sight. Yes, with all the 2 3/4" plain barrel guns around you wonder why they had to mess up a good one. I got it cheap and had the poly choke cut off. I thought I might shoot some Hevi-Metal through it before I sent it to Briley for chokes. Any idea what results I might get? Might make a good over decoys gun. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Re: No choke?

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 am

While poly chokes were ugly I found them quite effective. In the early 80s I had one installed on my 870. I did a lot of jump shooting geese back then and shots could be from 30 yards to 70 yards. The poly let me dial up the choke acording to how close I got. I don't use it any more but am considering having the barrel cut back to 18" and the poly reinstalled for a home defense/ pest/ turkey gun.

I imagine you are at cyl bore with the barrel cut off. The pattern will be open the only question will be density.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Steel and Hevi-Shot are very different then lead. I might decide I need a couple of Briley chokes, but I never tested and barrel with no choke. Perhaps I will find it is tight enough. I am going to try the larger shot sizes, just in case. I like the classic old guns and this one will make a good shooter. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Assuming you have a cylinder bore now you may do well with Hevi shot out of the gun as is.
Just out of curiosity what does the barrel wall thickness mic out to now...Reason I am asking is you may be a bit a far back now from cutting off the Polychoke into a very thin section of the barrel...not saying will but it could split if you shoot to large a size of steel shot through it..
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Since my 20 ga and 12 ga BPS have 22 or 24 " barrels I thought my 28 ga BPS should be short too. So I first introduced the barrel to my chop saw and then a more intimate intro to my lathe. It is now 22 or thereabouts, Browning don't make anything shorter than 26" in the 28 ga BPS. Anyway a chat with Hawglips and I'm loading 1-5/16oz of TSS #7. Great pattern at 47 yards, I haven't counted it out but there are no holes. I think using BIG regular steel (relatively for the 28 vs 12) it will pattern just as well but I haven't got that far yet. And for smaller steel ie #3 I think it will spread, at least the factory ammo did almost to the point of being useless at 47 yards.
SO: it follows that TSS shoots tight ~ very happily surprised with this $49.00/lb shot, normal steel spreads, and BIG steel if it follows convention will be quite tight.
Now: I am sending this barrel to Briley for spectrum extended tubes, likely IC and LM.
PURPOSE: My intention was not to use tubes at all but I feel that with these two tubes I will be prepared for using any shot at any range.
I had an 870 Remington that I cut off and added a soldered on choke tube adapter, forget the name of it but it worked like a charm, maybe that would be one solution to the MOD12 dilema or even the Lyman adapter system and tubes.
For what it's worth......
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Grant , I also have a Mod 12 3" , that I shoot waterfowl with . I had the choke opened up to a .017 thou. choke . It's a thick
walled solid ribed barrel , that I added a 1/4" higher rib extention to . It shoots 3's thru BB's really well and is a pleasure to
shoot right along side of the New Guns on the Market . A REAL ,DUCK KILLING MACHINE .
3200 man
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 am

I have Beretta 390s that I shoot in compitition and shoot real well, I have used one for ducks because it was 3" and functioned well. I seem to need a classic gun to shoot ducks with however. I enjoy it more when I kill a goose with a LC Smith 3" mag and Bismuth. At one point I had a 2 3/4" model 12 with a Hastings barrel, but sold it. I think that this one, especially if I have it choked, will be a good one. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:42 pm

If the bbl has only had 1 1/2" removed you may want to shoot a few patterns before you have it tubed .The results may surprize you . The choke section in most Md12's is a little different than what is in most guns today .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:05 am

I have a choke gauge and will measure it this weekend. I had 6 model 12 trap guns for sale last month. I measured each one of them. One had been opened to 17/1000ths, 4 were right at 36-37/1000ths and the Y trap was over 40. Winchester did a lot of research on chokes and used a long, tapered choke. I don't know how long the barrel was to start, I guess it could have been 32". You would think if you were adding a Poly-Choke you would want the barrel choke free. The gague will tell me. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:57 am

Do you have a bore mic. or one of those "plugs" with markings on it ? The best way to find out is to shoot a few patterns and see . Many of the Md 12's were made before the advent of plastic wads and hard shot .
You would think that the choke had been removed before the Poly was added , but that does not mean it was . Depends on who did the install .
Unless the bbl has been worked on there should be plenty of wall thickness to have screw chokes added . Just be sure to get tubes that are safe to use with steel .I have a couple 3" md12's that have been reworked to shoot steel . Get the right combo and they are great guns .
I'm not trying to tell you what to do . Just giveing a few suggestions .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 am

Oldman

I have a Galazan bore mic. It is very useful and will work in anything from 28ga -10ga. I have reamers and have done some choke work of my own. With the Galazan gauge you can see how long the choke is and how abrupt. I have found that the "plug" as you call it is very limited in it's usefulness. I have customers who want me to use a dime. Choke is, of course, about the difference in bore diameter. I had not thought about there being any choke remaining and will try to measure it as soon as I get out of work. I have the skeet fields open this afternoon, even thought the time change has not kicked in yet, and am headed out of town to a gun auction after. It will be a busy weekend.
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:45 pm

" I have found that the "plug" as you call it is very limited in it's usefulness. I have customers who want me to use a dime."

Funny how old trinkets and old wifes tales take so long to die isn't it ?? Choke gauges (plugs) and dimes have to have a use somewhere in todays world . Just don't know where it is .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:42 pm

I had a chance to measure the choke. It has just a little, 2 -3/1000ths. I am going to shoot 2 rounds of skeet with it tonight and will try some steel and heavy-metal next week. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:05 pm

I just patterned the model 12 and it is not going to work out without screw chokes. I shot at 30 yards and used some sheetrock scraps I had left over from a project. The patters I got with Hevi-shot 3s and 2s were too loose. Pellets hit almost across the 48" sheet and the core was full of holes. What I saw was little clusters of shot, something I saw when shooting steel before the good chokes, but holes a teal would fit through. Looks like I will send it to Briley. It was worth a try. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Before you spend the $300+ try TSS Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum