shortening shotgun barrel and hunting with no choke

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

shortening shotgun barrel and hunting with no choke

Postby twoodward15 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:37 am

The boy needs a gun. I have an old 16 gauge that's too big for him. I was thinking I'd shorten the barrel and stock to fit him (and stay within the legal limits). I'll be cutting off the adjustable choke. He'll be using the gun on stocked pheasants. Does anyone see a problem with this? 90% of the shots will be inside 10 yards. Issue number 2 is that it's a bolt action in great condition, but it should teach him good shot placement. Any tips or suggestions would really help. Also, I was thinking that not having a bead sight shouldn't be an issue for this. What are your thoughts on this?
twoodward15
hunter

Re: shortening shotgun barrel and hunting with no choke

Postby Fowl'in up NORTH » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:42 am

Sounds like a nice gun. You could sell it and buy a youth 870 or youth 1100 which would actually fit him. I would hate to see that gun get mangled but that is just me.
Fowl'in up NORTH
hunter

Postby twoodward15 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 am

I was thinking the same thing. This gun is in pristine condition. I'll see about trading up or buying a youth gun outright for him. Thanks for the quick response.
twoodward15
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:26 am

First suggestion would be a new or use youth model to start with. and if you have the old mossberg bolt gun they had a tendency to fire if the gun or trigger is bumped with the safety on (I have seen several that did this and know one man that just about lost a hand due to this safety issue and his own stupidity) But yes you can shorten it if you choose. the stock is no issue as it does not had a recoil spring or tube in the stock. The barrel can also be cut and I would suggest no less than 22" for a hunting gun. it will probably give you a Cyl or possibly a skeet pattern depending on the barrel and load.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby twoodward15 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:19 am

It's an older jc higgins. I picked up a nice used mossberg 500c that is either a youth gun with the stock cut down a bit or someone made a youth gun out of it. Got it cheap, spent a half hour fitting the recoil pad properly (they cut the stock but never trimmed the pad) with a sanding drum on my drill press and now I have a christmas present for him.
twoodward15
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Glad things worked out...............................

by the way,never cut the barrel or try to reduce the weight of a gun for the youngsters, since the added weight,helps........... reduce recoil. Maybe change out the butt for a corret fit, if you have the money and save the long one for later.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:30 am

I started out with a Remington 870 lightweight special field.
I liked the gun so much I carried it as a man for years until it wore out.
Please don't chop that old 16-gauge.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:11 am

I have a set of BPS' s 10,12,20 and 28. Chopped the 10 to 26" and had Briley extended tubes installed, the 12 and 20 are factory 22" and the 28 factory 28", the shortest they make, was chopped to 22" and being sent to Briley for extended tubes. I am 67 years old and have used these short barrel guns all my life, I find them much easier and faster to control, never had an issue with range as I pattern and handload for all my guns and shoot at reasonable ranges but my son and grandson used these guns too and I found, maybe just perceived, that the younger they are the more reason for the shorter barrels because the gun fits them better, shorter stocks and shorter barrels for shorter arms are the way to go as far as I'm concerned, a lot safer in my estimation because they can handle the gun properly. Youth stocks whether factory or my chop saw were gradually lengthened with recoil pads and spacers or new full length butt stocks. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby klf » Mon May 14, 2012 11:12 am

Sagebrush wrote:Glad things worked out...............................

by the way,never cut the barrel or try to reduce the weight of a gun for the youngsters, since the added weight,helps........... reduce recoil. Maybe change out the butt for a corret fit, if you have the money and save the long one for later.

What he said! :lol:
klf
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Woodward,
Great that you found a fine present for kid! It'll be the best present he's ever received and will remember it forever!

Might be sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but since I teach the course, give him another present and enroll him in the Hunter's Safety Course, even if it isn't required in your state. The kids love it and you can really tell the difference in a kid that has had the course and an old codger that's "been huntin' all my life"! I prefer to be around the kid.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:25 pm

klf wrote:
Sagebrush wrote:Glad things worked out...............................

What he said! :lol:

All our ammo is handloaded so recoil is adjusted for the shooter by choosing the appropriate load. They can then properly mount and swing the gun because it is balanced for them, safer too IMHO. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum