Stripped Head of Butt Stock Screw

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Stripped Head of Butt Stock Screw

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:32 pm

So I took the butt pad off my Maxus to oil the recoil spring today. When I put it on, I stripped the crap out of the head of one of my screws. I doubt I'll get it out with a screw driver next time (which probably won't be for another 3 years). Anywho, when I do try and take it off and it inevitably totally strips, how should I go about getting it out? I'm figuring on using a broken screw/bolt remover. Just didn't know if it would mess up the butt pad.

I think I just answered my question though because I think that's what I'll do. If there's another option, I'd appreciate more options. I'm always up for better ways to do things. I'm hoping I can get it out later and get a new one in there.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Stripped Head of Butt Stock Screw

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Old school trick for stripped screw heads. Get some valve grind compound and place it on the tip of the screwdriver before trying to loosen. The grit in the compound gives you a lot of grip. Push in hard on the driver and turn. It works really well most of the time unless the grooves are completely gone. Then in this case I would just drill off the top of the screw head, pull off the pad and then unscrew the remainder of screw with vise grips.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby StevenL » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:01 pm

It isn't as if you have a time bomb in your closet but when things do go wrong it never is the right time. And for something like what you have described, I would rather take care of the problem and the cure when convenience is mine than wait on absolute cause for corrective action.
Here's my idea:
Clamp/secure the shotgun firmly on a table or workbench.
Select the proper size of screw driver for the job and remove the screw that is not stripped.
Place the tip of the driver firmly on the screw with the stripped head and sharply tap the butt of the handle with a small hammer while turning the driver counter clockwise to loosen the screw. Tapping the butt of the driver with any weighted object will act like an impact wrench (increasing torque through inertia) and also keep the driver tip in the screw head.
Do it deliberately and patiently as if messing with sore business and I'll bet yours will be a success story without loss of the recoil pad.
And of course you'll need new screws . . . might as well replace both. Be sure to put a dab or scoach of your favorite anti/seize product on each new screw while you're at it.
Happy home gun-smithing and good luck.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:47 pm

I used the proper size screw driver when I took them out. The manual said a #2, but it bounced around a lot. I may have gotten it in cross threaded too. I'm not sure. It's in there pretty good now. I'm going to worry about it when the recoil spring needs lubed again. Thanks for the advice though, I may combine the valve drive compound and tapping the screwdriver.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:13 am

I can not remember if my Maxus had phillips or flat blade screws :huh:

if Flatblade, were you using hollow ground gunsmith screwdrivers? standard screwdrivers are tapered and gunsmith screwdrivers are square on the tip. They tend to give a better fit and more grip to the screw. Also are you placing a drop of oil in the hole before inserting the screwdriver? this might seem counter productive to gripping the screw but keeps the recoil pad from haveing a hold on your driver.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rrconductor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:43 am

You can coat your screwdriver tip with Johnson's paste wax or dishwashing soap ,liquid, and the lube will not bugger the pad.

Take the first screw out, put the screwdriver in the second screw and put reverse pressure on the pad while unscrewing the other screw, has worked for me.
rrconductor
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:55 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I can not remember if my Maxus had phillips or flat blade screws :huh:

if Flatblade, were you using hollow ground gunsmith screwdrivers? standard screwdrivers are tapered and gunsmith screwdrivers are square on the tip. They tend to give a better fit and more grip to the screw. Also are you placing a drop of oil in the hole before inserting the screwdriver? this might seem counter productive to gripping the screw but keeps the recoil pad from haveing a hold on your driver.

It's a #2 Phillips.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:12 am

Preacher1011 wrote:I used the proper size screw driver when I took them out. The manual said a #2, but it bounced around a lot. I may have gotten it in cross threaded too. I'm not sure. It's in there pretty good now. I'm going to worry about it when the recoil spring needs lubed again. Thanks for the advice though, I may combine the valve drive compound and tapping the screwdriver.

It takes more than just the proper-sized screwdriver to avoid damaging screws; the screwdriver must also be fair new. A worn screwdriver will bugger up a screw faster than a new-but-incorrectly-sized screwdriver.

You might also want to consider an impact driver. They are marvelous inventions.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Just a guess here, but I would be willing to bet the Maxus has the same screw as my Silver has holding the pad on, and I found that I needed to file the point down a little on the #2 phillips to get the best "bite". Once I did get them out I noticed there was black butt pad rubber packed into the screw head which didn't help matters.
Home gunsmithing can be a pain sometimes, :fingerhead: but when things work out it's satisfying. :clapping:
The impact driver is a good item to own too. Good luck.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:57 pm

an easy out might work as the next to last option if nothing else works. the last optin is welding and re-sloting the top of the screw but this is not done by the average back yard gunsmith.

I hope you got that buggered screw out.........and get a screw driver that fits better on the new screw ,so this might not happen again.

I hate bad screw drivers, I have lost a lot of blood over those suckers when I was yound and did not know any better.
'Maybe if I push a little harder................. OUCH "

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby train driver » Wed May 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I had the same thing happen with a browning gold 10ga. take the other screw out and twist the pad around it should grip the screw enough to get the screw to back out enough to get a hack saw blade between the stock and the pad. Take the blade out of the hack saw and just use the blade. Slip it between the pad and cut the screw off then use a pair of pliers to get the screw out of the stock. I use a outdoor deck screw of the same size to replace booth screw no more rust even though the screws are down in the pad moisture still get down to the screws and a screwdriver will dammage them.
train driver
Newb

Postby fullcontact86 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 pm

You can always just use a new sharp drill bit on it and drill the head off of it and then take the butt pad off and twist the rest out with vice grips or pliers.
fullcontact86
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

I have a bucket of screwdrivers for when something like this happens. Not all #2 Phillips are the same. Some are pointier etc.
Usually I'll find one that fits perfectly and is sharp enough to do the job.

If all that fails, Do what Cujo said and drill the head of the screw until it pops off. Then pull the butt plate and finish removing the screw with lock pliers. I had to do that once on one of my Remingtons.

I can't believe that they will fasten the butt plate with cheap drywall screws on a $400+ shotgun .
It would be nice if they would splurge and pay an extra ten cents each for stainless steel.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby War Wagon » Fri May 25, 2012 8:24 pm

I had that issue also. Here is how I solved it, remove pad, apply oil to the screws in pad and push them out. Install two stainless steel 10/24 screws in pad using oil, they well go in. Remove stock from gun,take a 1/2" drill bit and drill out 1/2" deep. The stainless steel inserts are 1/2" in dia but i put a heavy knearl on them so they are about .515-.520 in dia now. I put a epoxy glue on inserts and tap them in. You will never have to worry about threads again stripping out. :hi:
Attachments
DSCN2787.JPG
SS inserts in stock
DSCN2788.JPG
SS screws in recoil pad
DSCN2789.JPG
SS inserts and 10/24 screws
DSCN2791.JPG
SS inserts
War Wagon
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum