DIY Camo Wrapped Beretta 390 - w/pics

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

DIY Camo Wrapped Beretta 390 - w/pics

Postby yareelohim » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 am

Here are pics of the process. I thought for $30 I would give the camo wrap a try and the Mossy Oak Video looked very easy.

I didn't purchase my wrap through Mossy Oak because they did not offer Max-4 camo. I used Camo4u.com

The wrap comes "pre-cut" which didn't really fit my gun so it took some tweaking and gap filling, fortunately they send lots of extra material to fill gaps with.

So far I am impressed with the product for only $30. It fits very well once it is all together. It is fairly easy to apply. It looks GREAT! Way better look than my factory dipped Super Nova in Max-4. It is almost scratch proof and has a lifetime warranty against fading.

I am all for camo dipping which is a superior process, but for a budget point...this product really turned out well!

If you have any questions or comments feel free to post.

Before

You can see the pre-cut pieces

The foreend piece really didn't fit. It was too short and didn't wrap to the center so I had to splice a few extra pieces.

The barrel had to be done in two section.

Here it is completed
The foreend splice

You can do the vent rib contrary to what the video shows.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Re: DIY Camo Wrapped Beretta 390 - w/pics

Postby jbshunter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:17 am

Not bad at all for $30!!!!
jbshunter
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Airbrushing a little custom touch to the wrap kit :)

"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby dog walker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 am

Looks damn good :thumbsup:
dog walker
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:01 pm

That looks awesome!!! :thumbsup:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 pm

how long did this take you??

looks like it took a good while and wouldnt be worth it to have the crappy residue after you take it off if you decide to.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Camo Dip » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:42 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:how long did this take you??

looks like it took a good while and wouldn't be worth it to have the crappy residue after you take it off if you decide to.

That does look good.

I know I am a little bias here for obvious reasons :biggrin:

The only thing I would caution you about with that is... That looks like 3m IJ180 vinyl, which is an awesome product. we use it on all our vehicle wraps, and it will come off if you want it to without leaving any residue at all.

The only problem you will run into with that product is the edges will catch and peel up on you. It's a fairly low tack adhesive (if I'm right about the product).

Every place you have an edge, it will be susceptible to peeling. and once it starts to peel, you will unavoidably get moisture in those areas.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I am not trying to sway you away from doing this, just trying to point out a possible problem that could lead to rust.

And of course, we want you to send your guns to us to be dipped. :biggrin:

Again, not trying to bash on the product, because I do see the value in it. Just making an observation.

Steve
SignPro Hydrographics
Steve Nicholas
SignPro/MotoPro Graphics
888-223-5837
Web Site: signpro-graphics.com
Camo Dip
DHC Sponsor

Postby yareelohim » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 am

Camo Dip wrote:

looks like it took a good while and wouldn't be worth it to have the crappy residue after you take it off if you decide to.

That does look good.

The only thing I would caution you about with that is... That looks like 3m IJ180 vinyl, which is an awesome product. we use it on all our vehicle wraps, and it will come off if you want it to without leaving any residue at all.

The only problem you will run into with that product is the edges will catch and peel up on you. It's a fairly low tack adhesive (if I'm right about the product).

Every place you have an edge, it will be susceptible to peeling. and once it starts to peel, you will unavoidably get moisture in those areas.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I am not trying to sway you away from doing this, just trying to point out a possible problem that could lead to rust.

Again, not trying to bash on the product, because I do see the value in it. Just making an observation.

Steve
SignPro Hydrographics

Steve,

I appreciate your input and words of wisdom. I agree camo dipping is a far superior process and product. I wanted to try out this product, which I believe may be 3M vinyl. So far it has taken very well but I will watch for the edges and moisture.

I have been watching your work and I am very impressed. I have recommended you to a few people so far, I think one is about ready to send his gun to you.

Thanks again.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:51 am

looks like it took a good while and wouldnt be worth it to have the crappy residue after you take it off if you decide to.

It didn't take too long. Now that I know the process, I could probably finish it in 10 min. As for the residue, non what so ever. It has been a very impressive product so far. According I Steve I will need to watch the edges for peeling. I did tuck most all edges so they do not catch but some edges obviously will be exposed.

I like camo dip personally but for the money, quality and ease of installation, this product has been great!
yareelohim
hunter

Postby Camo Dip » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:02 pm

yareelohim wrote:
Camo Dip wrote:

That does look good.

Steve
SignPro Hydrographics

Steve,

I appreciate your input and words of wisdom. I agree camo dipping is a far superior process and product. I wanted to try out this product, which I believe may be 3M vinyl. So far it has taken very well but I will watch for the edges and moisture.

I have been watching your work and I am very impressed. I have recommended you to a few people so far, I think one is about ready to send his gun to you.

Thanks again.

Thank you man, we definitely appreciate the referrals. I was going to tell you that we have a product we use on wraps called edge tape.
It's a thin clear tape that might worked to help seal the edges. If you're interested give us a call and I'll send you some.

Steve
Steve Nicholas
SignPro/MotoPro Graphics
888-223-5837
Web Site: signpro-graphics.com
Camo Dip
DHC Sponsor

Postby cONG » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:21 am

have anyone try the dip kit? I was thinking of doing mine
cONG
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:35 am

cONG wrote:have anyone try the dip kit? I was thinking of doing mine

I thought about it and figured I would be better off sending it to pro to dip. Steve here has a great price on camo dips.

Another reason I never tried the DIY dip is because I couldn't find any waterfowl patterns I liked.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:52 am

The DIY dip kit is $99 and you can get a pro dip for $125 so I would spend the extra for the pro dip. However, this wrap has its place. On a gun that is old and worn the wrap should fill the bill. The only thing I did not like with the camo4u kit is they dont give you enough material to wrap completely around the forearm. Imo, it would take the additional accessory kit too, to do it right. That runs the cost up to $50. I might add that Mossy Oak offers a wrap kit too. I just ordered one thru Walmart online in MODB. for $23. You can also order direct thru Mossy Oak. I hope their kit doesnt scrimp on material too. If its rust prevention you are concerned with, an epoxy primer could be sprayed on the gun prior to the wrap.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:26 pm

10ga-
If you look at the pic of my forearm you will notice the wrap didn't fully connect and I had to place an extra piece of material down first. Camo4u did send an entire sheet with pre cuts opposed to just the pre cut pieces do I had plenty of extra material. Let us know how your mossy oak wrap works.

Here you can see all the extra material around the cut-out pieces.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:58 am

How did the vinyl fit down into the checkering? Did you use a heat gun during installation?

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 am

During the installation I Ised the heat gun on rounded corners or areas where it needed to be stretched. Once it was all complete I went over the whole gun with heat and pressed the vinyl by hand. For the checkering I really tried to rub the vinyl down with heat. I was amazed at how little heat it actually need. A couple second with a hair dryer and the vinyl is extremely pliable.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:13 am

Did you like how the vinyl fit down into the checkering? Or did it not? I am still waiting for my Mossy Oak kit to arrive. I was thinking maybe a cutical brush might be the ticket to push the vinyl and get it to take to the checkering better when appling heat.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 am

It actually fit down nicely into the checkering but once it cools down it will raise up a little. Let me know how your idea works.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:17 am

Also, the suggested use of a heat gun might cause a mess up I think. I think your idea of the hair dryer might be a little slower but much less risky. I use a heat gun at my work on shrink wrap and burning a hole in the plastic can happen easier than you think when using the heat gun.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby 95 taco » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:07 am

Have you had any issues with water getting under the wrap and rusting?
95 taco
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:33 am

Came out nice :thumbsup:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby rmmj351 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:08 pm

If you ever have residue from vinyl or most stickers for that matter try Klean-Strip paint thinner. Test a inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't take off Anything you don't want it to. Its fairly gentle on any non oil based paint.
rmmj351
Newb

Postby yareelohim » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:45 pm

95 taco wrote:Have you had any issues with water getting under the wrap and rusting?

No issues at all yet. The wrap has held up very well!
yareelohim
hunter

Postby 95 taco » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 am

yareelohim wrote:
95 taco wrote:Have you had any issues with water getting under the wrap and rusting?

No issues at all yet. The wrap has held up very well!

good to hear, the turnout looks really good.
95 taco
hunter

Postby Silverback4jack » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 pm

10gaOkie wrote:Did you like how the vinyl fit down into the checkering? Or did it not? I am still waiting for my Mossy Oak kit to arrive. I was thinking maybe a cutical brush might be the ticket to push the vinyl and get it to take to the checkering better when appling heat.

Chris

Just curious how yours turned out. I just ordered my kit after seeing the op's pics. I am lucky enough to have a buddy that does vehicle wraps on a daily basis so he will most likely install mine. He told me $35 was cheaper than he could print it for. Fingers crossed it shows up soon.
Silverback4jack
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum