where to get a gun restored?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

where to get a gun restored?

Postby youngoilguy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 am

anybody know of anyplace out there that does complete restores on old guns? The wood on my old 1887 is good, but the gun needs to have the original case hardened color restored, re-blued and the barrel is a little pitted, needs honed out. I dont know of anyplace that does this service, I know its gonna be some $$$ but I'd like to pass the gun down for another hundred and fifteen years. It was my great, great, great grandfather's gun.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Re: where to get a gun restored?

Postby jpari » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 am

Young,

It would really help if we knew what type of shotgun you are talking about. I understand your want to pass on your gun to family, however, there is the consideration of cost of restoration versus value of gun. The work that you are talking about is very expensive. If you want to have the barrel(s) re-struck to remove any roughness, the barrel(s) and trigger guard re-blued, the receiver re-case colored the checkering re-cut and the stock and forend refinished, depending upon who does the work, you are talking in the multiple thousand dollar neighborhood. As to who can do this work, again it would be very helpful if we knew what the gun is in terms of maker and grade. There are refinishers out there that specialize in certain makes of guns and have the techniques to bring them back to factory look. Hope this helps as a start.
jpari
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:49 am

Also consider that in many cases restoring a gun can diminish its monetary value. Get some input from an expert before you commit to restoring.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:48 am

its my old winchester 1887 lever 12ga. (blackpowder cartridges). it was made in 1892. Right now in it's current condition it is worth a little under 1k. The wood does not need touched, only the brass washers on the stock need polished/replaced. 1 screw from the receiver was lost in the 60's and was re-made by my grandfather. he made the 20mm witworth thread screw at the machine shop he worked at. I want that screw left alone. Like I was saying the gun needs barrel honed, external metal re-finished (receiver case hardened) and the barrel needs honed out as it is lightly pitted. Im prepared to spend 1k to 1.5k on the job, as the gun is the most important possesion I own. Value of the gun when it is finished means literally nothing at all to me. If it was only worth 8 dollars when it was done, but looked new again, I would be okay with that. I fully intend to keep this gun in my family for another 115 years. I want it to be in a shootable condition, as it is not now.

I really appreciate the input, but I'm really looking for some names of qualified shops to perform this work. About 10 years ago I got a name for a guy in NY, but the number is no longer in service and I was in college at the time and could not commit to the the money.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby jpari » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 am

With what you have explained, I would recommend Griffin @ Howe. They do very nice work. They are on Clairmont Rd. in Bernardsville NJ. If you are interested in giving them a call you can find their phone # on their web site. They are not the cheapest out there, but, I have had work done by them and am very pleased with the outcome. Good luck and I hope all works out for you. Please keep us posted on your progress with whomever you choose to do the work and perhaps some before and after pictures when the work is complete.
jpari
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:16 pm

youngoilguy wrote:its my old winchester 1887 lever 12ga. (blackpowder cartridges). it was made in 1892. Right now in it's current condition it is worth a little under 1k. The wood does not need touched, only the brass washers on the stock need polished/replaced. 1 screw from the receiver was lost in the 60's and was re-made by my grandfather. he made the 20mm witworth thread screw at the machine shop he worked at. I want that screw left alone. Like I was saying the gun needs barrel honed, external metal re-finished (receiver case hardened) and the barrel needs honed out as it is lightly pitted. Im prepared to spend 1k to 1.5k on the job, as the gun is the most important possesion I own. Value of the gun when it is finished means literally nothing at all to me. If it was only worth 8 dollars when it was done, but looked new again, I would be okay with that. I fully intend to keep this gun in my family for another 115 years. I want it to be in a shootable condition, as it is not now.

I really appreciate the input, but I'm really looking for some names of qualified shops to perform this work. About 10 years ago I got a name for a guy in NY, but the number is no longer in service and I was in college at the time and could not commit to the the money.

Doug Turnbull at Turnbull Mfg. Co.
StevenL
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Ditto on Doug Turnbull.

They can do anything from a freshen up, clean & repair to a full blown restoration/upgrade...they are THE experts on all things Winchester. I met Doug at the Southern Side-by-Side a couple years ago and he is a very personable and extremely knowledgeable man when it comes to firearm restoration work and they'll tailor the job to your needs and budget.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby rrconductor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:36 am

Turnbull would be my choice.
rrconductor
hunter

Postby Leadhead » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:35 am

Ricks Restorations....
Leadhead
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the input. I wrote turnbull. I'll let y'all m ow what happens

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu May 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Above and beyond pricing your specific request he'll probably send you a catalog and price sheet. The cat shows many descriptions of his work (as well as his custom lever guns which are totally amazing) and pictures of the varying degrees of restoration they can and do perform. The price sheet is like a menu to choose what you want/need to be done from simple repairs or touch up to full blown restoration and/or upgrade work.

Believe me whenI say the work coming from his shop is equal to or better than the best of any Winchester factory custom work one can find. I have held examples of guns that he started with literally rusted and worn out pieces of crap standard grade rifles and the end results looked better than as if I had gone back 65 years and had the piece handed to me from the final factory inspector. Doug and his staff are true artisans and masters of their craft.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum