Rem 870 paint removable

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Rem 870 paint removable

Postby lamboicon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:12 pm

A few years back my brother painted my 870 with spray paint and it has held up great for bout five years. I want to strip the paint and stain it back to were it was. It is a wood stock. How would you go about stripping it.
lamboicon
hunter

Re: Rem 870 paint removable

Postby blackrhino » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:11 am

I would try regular furniture finish stripper then sand and refinish.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:42 am

Go to the NY forum and find the moderator named "870"
He'll help you with ANY 870 questions.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 am

I bought my Charles Daily used from a gunshow a three years ago. The owner before me had basically laid it on the ground and spray painted the whole thing in green and grey spray paint. I got on here to find out what to do and a member told me to buy NON-chlorinated brake cleaner from an auto parts store and wipe it down. It only took an hour or so to get all the paint off and dried and it looked brand new. Haven't had any issues what-so-ever and I haven't touched the finish since I did this.
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby Freezer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:20 pm

I have stripped and refinished a lot of stocks but not the metal. I use Orange stripper, you can use it in the house unlike other strippers. It's not as harsh as the other strippers and it works great. After stripping it let it rest for a day then buff it with 440 sand paper. Use a tack cloth to get all the dust off it then apply very small amounts of boiler linseed oil or linspeed oil with you fingers. Only touch your fingers in the oil a little goes a long way, rub it in well. Let it dry another day and buff with 0000 steel wool in between coats. Be sure to use the tack cloth before apllying another coat. You can stop at five coats or continue till you get the finish you want. I don't thing the orange stripper will hurt the bluing but be sure to oil the metal after you strip it.
Freezer
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Depending on what paint he used, it might come off with brake cleaner. I have hit a few guns that had paint on camo finishes and washed it right off with non-clorinated brake cleaner. saves a lot of work with strippers and if do not use them properly you can easily lift the grain of the wood. if you have to use stripper I second the orange citrus stripper, works great for removing spray paints.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Freezer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:27 pm

The more I thought about it I don't believe Orange stripper will harm the metal it's blued. Blueing is a form of rusting and that said shouldn't be effected by a paint stripper.
Freezer
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum