Browning Gold stock repair

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning Gold stock repair

Postby westjw2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 pm

I have a Browning Gold that's ~7yo. The screw holes in the stock are getting worn out. They still hold the stock flush but I would like to fix it before it becomes a problem. The solutions I can come up with are: use a larger screw, or use some sort of metal sleeve and machine screw to act as a more solid anchor. Any other ideas?

The attachment IMG_2452.JPG is no longer available
Attachments
IMG_2452.JPG
westjw2
hunter

Re: Browning Gold stock repair

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:13 am

Be very careful with larger screws, I have seen these post split due to a larger screw installed after the hole was stripped out. the first thing to remember when putting the screws back in is to try to catch the same original thread. if you start the screws every time without catching the same original thread you keep cutting new threads into the plastic and you weaken it a lot. Machine screws will probably not grip and hold into the plastic but you could switch to a sheet metal screw that has a bit finer thread than the standard screw. if you try a larger screw make sure you only go up one size (8 to a 10 or 10 to a 12) and be careful with the length too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Browning Gold stock repair

Postby 3200 man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:06 am

I fixed mine by installing a helli-coil and a mech-screw .Take your time and do it right ,and it will last forever !
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum