Browning Gold firing pin

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning Gold firing pin

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 am

On the last station of practice before a big SC tournament, the firing pin on my Gold Golden Clays broke. I was able to swap the bolt out of my Gold Hunter and completed the next day's 100-bird event. I've ordered two replacement pins from Brownell's.
My question: is this a problem with the Golds??

The Golden Clays was purchased used two month ago...unknown number of rounds through it.
The Gold Hunter has 10 hard season of waterfowl hunting behind it (purchased new) and it's still going strong.

Are firing pins a problem on the Golds??? Having a gun go down during a tournament is one thing, having it go down out in the duck blind is another entirely. Thanks.
mudpack
hunter

Re: Browning Gold firing pin

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm

I have never had to replace one and have not heard of them being a problem but if you broke one it would probably not hurt to purchase a spare in case you have the issue again. Could have just been a defect in the one you had. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Mudpack , Here is the company with Browning Gold fireing pins and springs that ,I've been useing with good luck .
jnpgunsprings.com Jim Flynn is a great guy very helpful .
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks, 3200, but I just got the two pins from Brownell's. One will be a spare, but I won't be carrying it around with me, since it's not an item that can be replaced in the field. :sad:
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:49 am

Mudpack , Have you checked-out the Maxus ? Being a +or- Browning Guy , and likeing my Golds ( 31/2's and Sporting) ,the
Maxus doesn't have a fireing pin spring ,it's mechanical .I've shot a 30" Maxus Cabon Fiber for Waterfowl ,this last season ,and
really like it .I've been on the prowl looking at sleeving the piston ,not sure yet but ,I'm waiting for a report from Clampdaddy.
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum