finally sent in my 1187 for repair

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

finally sent in my 1187 for repair

Postby d_money » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:42 pm

i have had nothing but problems with this stupid gun. i love it when it works but hate it all the time cuz it never works. there has been many things wrong with it in its short life but this was my final straw and sent it in the the gunsmith. currently if you take out the trigger group the firing pin will fire put the trigger group in and put the rear pin in it will fire put the front pin in and it wont fire at all. i cant take this gun anymore if i get it back from the gunsmith and it doesnt work perfect for atleast a few years. im just gonna shoot it with whatever gun i replace it with. i have replaced the stock cuz it broke, replaced the magazine feed latch, the carrier release, and had a ton of other cycling problems with little parts or tinkering to get the gun to work. i had this gun fail on me three times this duck season. on day i had a single shot semi auto for a day. anyway my rant is over do you guys know how much a repair from a gunsmith like this will cost i have never sent a gun off out of warranty?
d_money
hunter

Re: finally sent in my 1187 for repair

Postby sws002 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Did you buy this gun new? Did you send it to a gunsmith or did you send it back to Remington? If you bought this gun new and sent it back to Remington, then they should cover the cost of it, including shipping (they will send a pre-paid packing slip). I've sent a ton of stuff back to Remington for repair (should also tell you something about the quality of products they are putting out), and if you throw a big enough fit they will (especially as a customer) pay for you to ship your gun back to them and to fix it. If this is a used gun and you sent it to a gunsmith, I can't help you as far as what it will cost.
sws002
hunter

Postby d_money » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:50 pm

I actually won the gun at a ducks unlimited dinner. The gun dealer I took it to said it was out of warranty. I won it in like 02 prolly.
d_money
hunter

Postby sws002 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Ya, it is probably outside of the warranty, but it is always worth a call to the manufacturer to see. Some companies (such as Taurus, sent a lot of guns to them as well) have lifetime warranties on them, although not all of them advertise it very well. After a certain amount of time, you may have to foot the bill to get the gun shipped there, but they may still do warranty work on it for free or at least a reduced price.
sws002
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:18 pm

d_money wrote:im just gonna shoot it with whatever gun i replace it with.

:thumbsup: best thing you can do with it. :biggrin:

I have found thru 11 (yes I have had 11 of them hoping for a good one) 11-87's is that if you do not buy the premier version you pretty much will have issues with it. every premier I have had has been flawless but the others have all been junk.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sws002 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:16 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
d_money wrote:im just gonna shoot it with whatever gun i replace it with.

:thumbsup: best thing you can do with it. :biggrin:

I have found thru 11 (yes I have had 11 of them hoping for a good one) 11-87's is that if you do not buy the premier version you pretty much will have issues with it. every premier I have had has been flawless but the others have all been junk.

What?! How dare you talk bad about Big Green?!

Seriously, I've been saying this for years, Remington is off their game. Personally, you couldn't give me a Remington anymore, I would sell it and buy something else. All the news guns they've come out with recently suck (mod edit) (VersaMax, 887, 105 CTI, 770, 710, do I need to go on?), and they are doing their damn best they can to screw up the old classics too. The 870, 11-87 and 700 used to be some of the most dependable, well-built guns on the market, and instead of at least keeping them built to the same standards or better, they have instead gone the route of trying to cut corners wherever they can to make more money. I'm all for made in America, and I would gladly pay more for a gun built in America that is to the quality of a Belgian, Italian or even Portuguese gun, but right now, it doesn't exist.
sws002
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 pm

I agree with the above post. I own three 870's.
The first one (870 wingmaster) I got in 1975, is made with all metal parts, and sounds wonderful when you work the mechanism. It "rings" and feels like shutting the door on a classic 1969 Cadillac. I retired it but it still works.
The second one (870 wingmaster magnum) I got in 1989 when I was in college and the ejector spring broke off within 5 seasons. I had it repaired and is still going strong. The action is OK but not like the 1975 model.
The third one I got in 2006, is a decent gun and so far the only complaint I have is with it not liking 3.5" shells. It's a supermagnum Express. I just quit using 3.5's and it's been a pretty good gun. The action is OK but feels a little clunky.

I've killed quite a bit of game with all three guns and now I've bought myself a Beretta 390 semi-auto. Remingtons are now my back-ups.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby sws002 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 pm

aunt betty wrote:The third one I got in 2006, is a decent gun and so far the only complaint I have is with it not liking 3.5" shells.

Really? Most of the complaints I have ever heard of them (and that I had as well) are that they don't handle low brass shells very well. Mine would have problems ejecting at least 1 out of every 10 times I ran low brass through it. I sold one to a buddy's brother, and his would jam up so bad that it would rip the brass off the shell when he had to slam the butt on the ground to eject it. I was also shooting clays with a guy one time that had one lock up with some low brass, and without missing a beat, he dismounted the gun, using only the hand on the forearm, slammed the butt on the ground, pulled the gun back up and broke the clay. I think he had that problem before as well...
sws002
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:50 am

sws002 wrote:
aunt betty wrote:The third one I got in 2006, is a decent gun and so far the only complaint I have is with it not liking 3.5" shells.

Really? Most of the complaints I have ever heard of them (and that I had as well) are that they don't handle low brass shells very well. Mine would have problems ejecting at least 1 out of every 10 times I ran low brass through it. I sold one to a buddy's brother, and his would jam up so bad that it would rip the brass off the shell when he had to slam the butt on the ground to eject it. I was also shooting clays with a guy one time that had one lock up with some low brass, and without missing a beat, he dismounted the gun, using only the hand on the forearm, slammed the butt on the ground, pulled the gun back up and broke the clay. I think he had that problem before as well...

That's an easy fix. I had that problem with Kents in a 3" express.

aunt betty, what was the problem with the 3.5" in the super magnum? What would it do? I just bought a used sup mag in realtree, just curious.
talltimber
hunter

Postby d_money » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:53 am

Does anyone know how much a gunsmith is gonna cost?
d_money
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:50 pm

What I would do is take trigger group out of another one and try it. You know anyone else who has one? A trigger out of an 870 might work too, I don't know. Be worth a try. I don't know what a gunsmith would charge, and I doubt a gunsmith would either, until he looked at it.
talltimber
hunter

Postby d_money » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:50 pm

I already sent it off I tried my 1100 trigger group but the carrier was way to small.
d_money
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:00 am

I have a super mag. I put about 2,000 rounds through it last year and not a single problem yet. Everything from 7/8oz skeet loads to 3.5" super magnum turkey loads... and every load you can think of in between. I shot it dove hunting last year, and it had no problems handling 3 quick shots of cheap winchester trap loads. I have also had rem 870 express's and never a single problem. Most of the guys who have problems beat the living crap out of their guns, or don't clean them, then wonder why they dont last.

There is one that really sticks out in my mind though, a not so intelligent guy I know bought a new 3" 1187 express magnum. He took it out deer hunting, and proceeded to drop it 20' on to a rock boulder from his tree stand. Well, anyone can guess what happened when a synthetic stocked gun hits a rock from 20' up... he will never buy another remington gun.

I dont understand how people can be so rough on guns then complain that they do not hold up.

It does sound like something was wrong with that gun from the start, I would have sent it back for warranty repair back in '02... that was 10 years ago though- do not expect any warranty work now.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby d_money » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Up until this point I have been able to mend or fix the problem cheaply. And there is no way I'm sending any shotgun in for repair during duck season and that is always when it breaks.
d_money
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum