Retrofit walnut 930 to accept factory shims

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Retrofit walnut 930 to accept factory shims

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 pm

I put this up before, but I wanted to make sure it was a solid mod before I re-posted it. I now have 2000 rds thru it since the mod and it hasn't "shaken" loose or shown any signs of additional wear inside the recoil spring tube or to the spring plunger.

It is quite simple, but could be very time consuming unless you have the right tools. I turned a mandrel to use in my drill motor to make it quite easy for me. There is also a fitting process that is required to prevent putting the recoil spring tube in a "bind". I used Mobil 1 on the recoil tube to highlight any spot that interfered so I could remove it. In hindsight, I should have just made a fixture to hold it in my lathe and then bore it on the correct angle.

I needed more drop, so it required me to elongate the "recess" and recoil spring tube "channel" more than the .250" it would change the drop. I made the "channel" just big enough to fit the recoil spring tube and the "recess" large enough I could make sure the "seat" for the washer was actually flat and on the right angle using modeling clay.

I probably went way overboard on the mod, but I am confident I will not have any issues.

You can see the bottom of the "channel" just beneath the washer:

Fit at receiver:

orphanedcowboy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum