Rem 870 not ejecting 3" shells anymore

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Postby adrenilinejunky » Tue May 08, 2012 12:03 pm

I have an old 870 wingmaster that was handed down to me when I was a boy and its no longer ejecting 3" shells. I use this a my primary waterfowl gun mainly for sentimental reasons and would like to fix the problem if its reasonably affordable to do. I read somewhere that it most likely is the ejection clip and spring are worn out but I havent taken it in to have it looked at. Anybody know where I could get the clip and spring to try that first before spending alot of money to have it fixed?
Waterfowl hunting is not just a sport, Its an addiction to some of us.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Re: Rem 870 not ejecting 3" shells anymore

Postby aunt betty » Tue May 08, 2012 2:51 pm

I had the same thing happen on several of my Remington 870's. You have to decide several things. First you have to decide who to have repair the shotgun. It will take a gunsmith to do what you need. I've been there, done that and here's what I did.

I took my shotgun to a gunsmith and told him I didn't want a fancy job but just wanted it to function. Here's why...
The gunsmith has to drill or pound the studs out that hold that spring on/in. When he puts the new ejector spring in he has a special tool that fastens the new spring in but it leaves a hunk of metal on the outside of the shotgun. It has to be ground down and then polished. Then the whole shotgun has to be re-blued etc.

I couldn't afford all that and asked the gunsmith to just put the new spring in and then turn it over to me. Here's what it looks like now. Notice how the side isn't smooth but has bumps or nubs where the spring goes.
DSCF0394.jpg
DSCF0395.jpg

It's not a big deal to me but surely brings the shotgun's value way down.
Last edited by aunt betty on Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Are those the springs that hold the shells in the magazine or the spring that actualy kick the shells out after they are fired? The problem Im having is after I fire the shells that they are catching on the crimp as they eject.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu May 10, 2012 7:47 am

They are not reloads are they? And it is a 3" gun?
talltimber
hunter

Re: Rem 870 not ejecting 3

Postby assateague » Thu May 10, 2012 10:21 am

talltimber wrote:And it is a 3" gun?

That was my thought, too. Just because it has a new barrel (if it does), doesn't mean the receiver will eject 3" shells.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby adrenilinejunky » Sat May 12, 2012 12:17 am

Nope it is an old winmaster 3" magnum gun with the original barrel. If my research is correct it was made in 1936. It is a hand-me-down from my grandmother and has alot of sentimental value to me. I believe its just getting worn out because it use to eject 3" shells just fine. If I can get it repaired for a reasonable price I would like to do so. But I was hoping to get some insight before I take it in and spend money on a gunsmith finding out whats wrong, when I could just have him replace the parts that I need. Im a family man and Im on a short bugdet of play money. lol
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat May 12, 2012 8:54 am

Here's a picture of the spring I'm talking about. It's not a 'coil' spring. Sometimes the piece that holds the spring breaks. I have one like that now. This picture has the spring intact so ...

if there's a chip missing at the base...
you need to replace. (hehe)
If the spring is weak
maybe you can tweek.

Man, the inside of my shotgun is filthy.
DSCF0402.jpg
DSCF0404.jpg
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat May 12, 2012 9:08 am

The pictures I posted are all the same 870 Wingmaster and it's the one I had repaired. You can see in the pics the rivet that is showing. There is another one under the spring where you can't see it. Those rivets are what makes the 'bumps" I showed in the first pic. It's really not that bad but if I was to re-sell that particular shotgun, it would barely be worth $200 I bet. That extra work getting it filed, grinded, polished, and then the whole shotgun dipped or re-blued is kinda cost-prohibitive for me at this point in time.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Sat May 12, 2012 9:31 am

Ive never had to replace any parts on this piticular gun so Im sure Im going to come across kind of dumb for asking this but I just want to make sure im looking for the right parts. So its actualy the spring in the pics that kicks the shells out and not the little clip on the action? Ive obviously taken my gun apart numerous times and I thought I understood how it worked but apparently I didn't. lol. I thought it was the clip on the action that grabbed the shells and the spring in the action that ejected the shells. I will look at that spring and see if its worn out or if I can just 'tweak' it a little.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat May 12, 2012 11:49 am

I have to ask, "what brand of shells are you using." I have been shooting an 870 since 1975 and had an ejector broken for one whole season and it ejected everything. Then I tried some of the newer Federal Premium Steel Shot Ammo and it would not eject them reliably. I pulled the gun apart and everything was as it was supposed to be, I super cleaned the chamber and it still would not eject the Feds. I feed it just about any other type of ammo, Fiocci, Kemen, Rem,Win, you get the point, just not the newer Federals. Just a thought. Yes I repaired the ejector about 20 years ago.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat May 12, 2012 12:58 pm

there is an extractor (on the bolt) that pulls the hull from the chamber and then the Ejector (on the inside of the receiver) that kicks it out when the bolt is opened all of the way. You say that the hull is getting caught on the crimp? does that mean that the bolt is not opening all of the way so that the crimp will clear the chamber? or is the hull comming off the bolt (extractor) and not being pulled out all of the way? I have also found that some Federal 3" hulls are a bit longer than others.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat May 12, 2012 1:00 pm

If you could load an empty 3" hull into the gun then rack it open and take a picture of it not ejecting to post here could be of some help in diagnosing your issue.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby adrenilinejunky » Sat May 12, 2012 10:32 pm

The shells that I have tried were federals so that might be the case here. The shells where being pulled out of the chamber and starting to eject but were getting caught coming out of the port. I will shoot a 3" round tomarrow and take a pic of it for you guys. And maybe I will swing by the store and pick up a box of fiochi or something and try them just to see if its the federals that I have that is the issue.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun May 13, 2012 6:06 am

I have an older Gold and X2 both of which have issues with federals hanging up in the chamber.

P1010158.JPG

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Force Fetch wrote:I have to ask, "what brand of shells are you using." I have been shooting an 870 since 1975 and had an ejector broken for one whole season and it ejected everything. Then I tried some of the newer Federal Premium Steel Shot Ammo and it would not eject them reliably. I pulled the gun apart and everything was as it was supposed to be, I super cleaned the chamber and it still would not eject the Feds. I feed it just about any other type of ammo, Fiocci, Kemen, Rem,Win, you get the point, just not the newer Federals. Just a thought. Yes I repaired the ejector about 20 years ago.

I had this same problem till I quit using my 870 back in the 90s. At the time When I compared the empty Federal hulls to Remingtons or Winchesters they were like 1/16" longer. Everything else ejected fine. Then generally the next round on the carrier would come up and really tie up the empty hull in the gun.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Flint » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:40 pm

I had a similar problem with a 870 express for shots overhead. I polished the chamber of the barrel with a piece of dowel in an electric drill and steelwool. It solved the problem.
Flint
hunter

Postby renoduckman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:21 pm

IM an 1100 1187 guy so forgive me. But is your extractor spring on the bolt weak, or broken? Common issue and just broke one on a 40 yearold 1100. Also i have seen a lot of ammo problems in the past. Once years ago had some cheap Mowhawk Ammo not eject in a Model 37 pump. Cases were a bit long from the factory. I am allways suspect of ammo on something like this.
A bad day hunting beats a good day at work
renoduckman
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum