Side saddles?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Side saddles?

Postby BBK » Fri May 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Anyone know if side saddles or elastic buttstock shell holders are legal to use for waterfowl? A buddy of mine asked me, and I honestly didnt know. I wouldnt think it would be illegal, because the shells are ON the gun, and not IN the gun. I might pick one up also, would help a lot to have 5 cripple loads right there instead of in my pocket.

Your thoughts?
BBK
hunter

Re: Side saddles?

Postby POKER1 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Yes, has nothing to do with shell capacity of the weapon. Unless you are practiced in speed reloads from your carrier, pulling from a pocket is probably just as fast. But if you just want one then here is a neat 2 shell holder that will not break the bank or need tools to remove from gun. Says for an auto but Im sure it would wrap around the receiver behind the ejection port of a pump just the same.

http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Slide- ... c-p22.html
POKER1
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri May 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Interesting, I kinda like that, all thought it might get in my way looking down the barrel. I think I would rather have one on the buttstock out of my vision... I hate distractions.

I think it would be kind of cool to have them on the gun instead of in my pocket, so I dont have to dig inside the waders or my bag to get one. Sometimes those cripples are swimming pretty quick, and I would much rather use a cheap cripple load on them vs shooting a $0.75 shell.

I think I am going to pick one up anyways for squirrel hunting, no more shells rattling in my pocket. Whether I use it for duck hunting or not, we'll have to wait and see. They are pretty cheap on ebay.
BBK
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Walmart, Academy or just about anyone has the elastic butt stock shell carrier cheap.
POKER1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat May 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Remington supermag waterfowl 1187 has the speedfeed stock from the factory.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-super-mag-waterfowl.aspx

I think it is a great idea (speedfeed stock) but I do not care for those elastic shell holders or a side saddle on my waterfowling piece.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby POKER1 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Just hold 2 shells between the fingers. I can do it without interfering with my grip.
POKER1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun May 13, 2012 5:54 am

POKER1 wrote:Just hold 2 shells between the fingers. I can do it without interfering with my grip.

Are you just standing around in the blind all day with 2 rounds in your hand?

Do you really need to shoot 3 times then reload that fast to shoot 2 more? I can see having the rounds on the gun if you were to walk out picking up ducks and realized your gun was empty, one is swimming away and your ammo is in the blind. But just to make reloading faster :huh:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Sun May 13, 2012 6:29 am

I've pulled one out of my shirt pocket and got a 4th shot off at a flying cripple before. Not sure I would be able to grab 2 shells when I grab my gun and be able to get a good hold every time, that might be a little too much.
BBK
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:15 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
POKER1 wrote:Just hold 2 shells between the fingers. I can do it without interfering with my grip.

Do you really need to shoot 3 times then reload that fast to shoot 2 more? I can see having the rounds on the gun if you were to walk out picking up ducks and realized your gun was empty, one is swimming away and your ammo is in the blind. But just to make reloading faster :huh:

:biggrin: Sometimes. Is that one of those things you gentlemanly hunters dont do, reload for a second volley if it presents itself. :lol3: Kinda like a water swat or something I guess. Do you give yourself a certain time limit before reloading so as to give them a sporting chance? I dont sit around all day holding extra shells or my gun for that matter but when Im working in a big group of birds for us (could be only group of day) I can place a couple extra rounds in hand. And sometimes I can shoot, reload and shoot again on birds before they can get back out of the hole or maybe swat a cripple on the water. So yeh, just to make reloading faster would be the reason for doing it. A novel idea isnt it............ :thumbsup:
POKER1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 am

POKER1 wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

:biggrin: Sometimes. Is that one of those things you gentlemanly hunters dont do, reload for a second volley if it presents itself. :lol3: Kinda like a water swat or something I guess. Do you give yourself a certain time limit before reloading so as to give them a sporting chance? I dont sit around all day holding extra shells or my gun for that matter but when Im working in a big group of birds for us (could be only group of day) I can place a couple extra rounds in hand. And sometimes I can shoot, reload and shoot again on birds before they can get back out of the hole or maybe swat a cripple on the water. So yeh, just to make reloading faster would be the reason for doing it. A novel idea isnt it............ :thumbsup:

To me it would just seem cumbersome to have 2 rounds in my left hand, Shoot then switch the rounds to my right hand to load them into the gun and loose my shooting grip on the forend. when I can just grab one at a time with my right hand and load the gun. I never have to change my grip from the forend to do this. I have only seen guys hold shells in their hands when shooting break open single shot guns but if that is the method that works for you then have at it.

Never had a reason to do that. I shoot and reload from the shells in the shell holders on the front of my jacket or the wader loops. Never had a "second volley" that needed a speed reload :lol3: And if they are "in the hole" 3 shots means 3 ducks down (if there were enough drakes in the group) so rather than reloading I am concentrating on where the ducks fell and getting them back to the blind. Both my dad and cousin have a habit of "one shot = 2 ducks" at least a couple of times a year, their timing is a bit better than mine :eek:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby POKER1 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Well we cant be to choosy sitting in between flyways and dont see very many greenheads between fronts. Most anything is fair game with gadwall, woodies and teal making up the bulk of what we shoot. I hold my shells between my fingers on my right hand which is right there at the ejection port. I shoot remingtons so floating the 4th is out.............. :lol3:
POKER1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon May 14, 2012 7:00 pm

POKER1 wrote:Well we cant be to choosy sitting in between flyways and dont see very many greenheads between fronts. Most anything is fair game with gadwall, woodies and teal making up the bulk of what we shoot. I hold my shells between my fingers on my right hand which is right there at the ejection port. I shoot remingtons so floating the 4th is out.............. :lol3:

So you trying to hold shells in the same hand you wrap around the grip and pull the trigger with :huh: That would mess with my grip on the gun it seems.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Mon May 14, 2012 7:40 pm

I could see holding two in the forearm hand during early woody/teal season where you are getting 99% of your shooting the first 45 minutes of the day. Sometimes you cant get reloaded fast enough before you have a flock of teal or a woody buzzing the dekes.
BBK
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu May 17, 2012 9:45 am

I use the buttstock shell holder the most in the spring. I keep 5 rounds of tungsten on it; it helps balance out the added weight of a loaded 5 shot extension tube.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon May 28, 2012 8:06 pm

i have one, pretty nice for when you go to get cripples and need another shell or get a few buzz bys.

perfectly legal in MO, had a warden check us and 2 of 4 guys had them and he didnt say a thing about them while he molested my gun with his little plug checking thingy.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Side saddles?

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:20 am

I keep two in my trigger hand quite often, like one would hold a cigar. Only when it's busy or we have geese working. When it's busy our hunts will sometimes only last 15 minutes or so.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum