duck buster

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

duck buster

Postby gnatboy113 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:05 pm

n e body use one of those look threw sights for ducks and geese a buddy told me they helped him
gnatboy113
hunter

Re: duck buster

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat May 26, 2012 8:26 am

No, learn to focus on the target and let the gun move naturally to it. If you take time to aim, the bird will be ahead of your pattern and it will be a clean miss.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat May 26, 2012 10:22 am

They work really good if you wait until the ducks sit on the water, then you can "aim" with the sight and 'swat' em. Would make no difference when they are flying since wing shooting is a mounting, focusing, pointing, and leading the target-only- technique, without regard to the sight.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat May 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Shooting ducks on the wing is kind of like spraying a running child or dog with a water hose. Do you think putting "sights" on the hose would help? :yes: :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby mike cook » Sun May 27, 2012 7:30 am

aunt betty wrote:Shooting ducks on the wing is kind of like spraying a running child or dog with a water hose. Do you think putting "sights" on the hose would help? :yes: :yes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: some kids need to be faster :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"AMERICA FIRST" !
JOIN THE " NRA "
mike cook
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 am

you do not aim a shotgun while wingshooting so sights are pointless. Concentrate on the bird, your lead and follow thru with the swing and you will not even notice the bead on the end of your barrel. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tucker301 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:32 pm

I use a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 X 50mm, but I usually keep it dialed back to 4.5, unless we're pass shooting.
tucker301
hunter

Postby trowlan1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:07 pm

tucker301 wrote:I use a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 X 50mm, but I usually keep it dialed back to 4.5, unless we're pass shooting.

whew...I thought I was the only one! :lol3:
trowlan1
hunter

Postby Freezer » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:15 am

I believe you speaking of the Burris Speed Bead. I asked this question before and got a lot of the same smart @$$ answers. Most of these guys have never tried one and are making poor attempts at being funny, not helpfull. :fingerpt

The Speed bead makes stance and and correct shouldering less critical. That's helpful when your feet are in the mud and the duck is comming in at an odd angle. The marsh is not a trap and skeet range. It also helps to negate some of the bad habits you may have developed. It's not a replacement for pratice but it will help. They are not cheap and must must fit your gun well. It didn't on mine, they don't make one for the Beretta 390ST. The other drawback I've heard is they're not completly water proof. It was sugested some parifin wax could help that. The Speed Bead is small, doesn't add magnification and you don't have to turn it on, just use the front bead when it's not on. Not a bad product I just wish it fit my gun. It is also helpfull if you want your gun for turkey or slug hunting. There's not need to change the barrel or buy a scope just sight it in with the ammo you'll be using.

My left eye is giving me problems, that's why I bought one. The way I figure it, the best way to enhance your duck hunting experience is to shoot more ducks. If a sighting devise will help you, go for it!
Freezer
hunter

Postby Freezer » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 am

Ooops! I went to Mossy Oak's web site and saw what your talking about. Looks cool to me. For $30 it's 1/10 the cost of the Speed Bead. This will fit my Beretta and may help with my bum eye problem. For $30 you can bet I'll have one before duck season. When it comes to duck hunting on public land, I'll take every legal advantage I can get.
Freezer
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Like training wheels on a Harley. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:14 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Like training wheels on a Harley. :lol3:

LMAO. :lol: Wanted to say something but just could not find the words. THANKS.... :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TominatorNY » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 am

Well as someone who can knock down 10 in a row on the clay pigeon range (ok, not every time, lol) and yet can miss ducks with extremely high consistency..... so my point is, I think a lot of us could benefit from trying some different shotgun sights.

The sights should NOT be used as a replacement for practice, and are not really for "aiming"... and follow through, mounting technique, etc are all very important. However, a lot of people (including me) have problems with eye dominance. And as mentioned, some of the angles and crazy stuff we hunt in are not even close to the shooting range conditions. Add about 23 layers of clothing.... wind.... croutching down in the blind till the last second... getting suprised, out of position.... and some adrenaline... not to mention unpredictable ducks, LOL

Try some of the fiber optic sights. Some I really like, some I don't. Ever try a one-eye blinder on the on top of the magazine? It can help a LOT with eye dominance problems. Also, the large ring type rear sites can be helpful, they helped me realize I was not mounting the gun level enough and shooting way over a lot of birds. they also help with judging lead distances.

I am hesitant to try new things, yet every time I do, I am like, why didn't I try this long ago?!?!??!! LOL
TominatorNY
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:06 pm

gnatboy113 wrote:n e body use one of those look threw sights for ducks and geese a buddy told me they helped him

no, it's a gimmick.
z51
hunter

Postby I am A Redneck » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:27 pm

I own one. I used to struggle with keeping my head all the way down on the stock which would make me miss almost every bird. I think it helps me on shooting clays. and have yet to try it out on duck. That being said I LOVE mine. it is very easy to tell if your mount is bad in a hurry. I would highly recommend one!! The only problem I have found is that (at least on my 870) the front sight comes loose very easy. That is fixed simply with some glue. Hard as a rock now.
I am A Redneck
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum