Mossy oak graphics

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossy oak graphics

Postby Quack Quack Boom!! » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:31 am

Hello guys, I own a benelli supernova black synthetic and was wishing I would've got the max 4 camo. Doing some research, I found that getting it dipped is expensive but I also found the mossy oak offers a decal so to speak for guns that you apply yourself. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Here is the website link.

http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/shotgun ... t-903.html
I love my guns more than I love women
Quack Quack Boom!!
hunter

Re: Mossy oak graphics

Postby eburgsnake » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:03 pm

I've used the tape type material that they make, or at least they used to. It is easy to put on and take off. The stuff I used did leave some residue but it was very easy to take off. Not sure if the link you sent is exactly the same or not. One of the problems I had was that moisture will find a way to seep under the tape. You can't see it until you take the tape off. Depending how long it's left on you can have a significant rust build up underneath.

Your gun, your money, but I don't use the stuff anymore. I would just save until you can have the gun dipped, or look into doing it yourself. Just my two cents.

A
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
eburgsnake
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:04 am

I do have a opion on Camo guns , Its more eye candy for the hunter . I hunt with a 78 year old guy and he has shotgun he bought in 1963. I clean it for him and it shows lots of use in 49 years. He has harvested just as many ducks and geese without it being camo'd .
War Wagon
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:04 am

War Wagon wrote:I do have a opion on Camo guns , Its more eye candy for the hunter . I hunt with a 78 year old guy and he has shotgun he bought in 1963. I clean it for him and it shows lots of use in 49 years. He has harvested just as many ducks and geese without it being camo'd .

:huh: I am sure we all know that a camo gun is not going to bag more birds than a traditional blued / wood gun, we just like the look of them :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Mossy oak graphics

Postby yareelohim » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:07 am

I posted a review with pics of the product your looking at. I used a different company than mossy oak but it is the same material and process.

viewtopic.php?p=1609187#p1609187
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 am

I ordered a Mossy Oak vinyl wrap kit through Walmart and never got it. Then I ordered one in Max4 from Camo4U. They have all the patterns to choose from. I was dissapointed with the kit to say the least. It is very hard to apply, not enough material included to do the job. The die cut pieces that fit the barrel are too short and in sections. I bought a new heat gun to do this too. Trying to heat up the vinyl where it wraps around the edges of the forearm was a problem. If all the surfaces of a shotgun were flat, then it would work ok. I ended up removing what I installed on just the forearm as it looks so bad. What a waste of time and money! I wish I would have known better. Hope this will help keep someone from making the same mistake I did. I will stick with having camo film put on for $125. per gun. Much more bang for the buck and your gun will truely be waterproof and have rust protection. Keep in mind that I did not expect the vinyl wrap to be perfect like the camo film. I just hoped it would look half way decent at a distance.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 pm

I bought the kit from Mossy Oak Graphics to put on an old humpback browning a-500 autoloader. Took about 15-20 minutes to apply. A hair dryer was plenty of heat to soften it up and work it. Came out looking great and has been really tough. I've hunted two season with it so far and it hasn't had a single issue, I even put some of the camo tape right on the bolt itself and even with the bolt cycling it hasn't started to peel off.

tywhite87
hunter

Mossy oak graphics

Postby yareelohim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:54 am

Tywhite87,

Your gun looks great! I like the duck blind pattern on your gun. I thought about duck blind for mine but settled with max 4. With how easy these are to install, I may just try a few more patterns.

Which company did you order from and did all the pieces fit your gun well or did you have to splice a few pieces?
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:50 am

I bought mine straight from mossy oak graphics (the link in the original post). There wasn't what I guess I would call "splicing" but you do have some over lap (you can see the seam on my pictures of the forearm and butt stock) because you get a left and right side piece for the stock, receiver, and forearm but the barrel is one piece. I just watched and went along with the company's instructional video and had zero problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lPAsAPHgPA
tywhite87
hunter

Mossy oak graphics

Postby yareelohim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm

tywhite87 wrote:I bought mine straight from mossy oak graphics (the link in the original post). There wasn't what I guess I would call "splicing" but you do have some over lap (you can see the seam on my pictures of the forearm and butt stock) because you get a left and right side piece for the stock, receiver, and forearm but the barrel is one piece. I just watched and went along with the company's instructional video and had zero problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lPAsAPHgPA

Here is the link to my process:
viewtopic.php?p=1609187#p1609187

I ordered from camo4u.com

The pieces were not cut accurately to my gun so it took some splicing and filling in with extra material but overall it was very easy and came out looking great.

I have only used it for turkey and clays so far but it has held up very well.

I noticed you didn't camo the vent rib on your gun...did you have extra material or the option to camo the rib? My barrel pieces were able to cover the rib and the barrel.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:54 pm

I got my gun boxed and ready to ship today for Max4 camo film dip. I dont intend to waste any more money on vinyl wrap.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 pm

It's awesome.

If you can't put this on a shotgun, and have it look as good as a factory dip, you wouldn't be able to pass a 5th grade arts and crafts class.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:54 pm

yareelohim wrote:
I noticed you didn't camo the vent rib on your gun...did you have extra material or the option to camo the rib? My barrel pieces were able to cover the rib and the barrel.

I don't remember if there would have been enough left over to do the rib or not... but it didn't matter to me because with the textured top of the rib I didn't want to tape it and risk trapping moisture causing rust so I just left it open anyway.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:56 am

tywhite87 wrote:
yareelohim wrote:

I don't remember if there would have been enough left over to do the rib or not... but it didn't matter to me because with the textured top of the rib I didn't want to tape it and risk trapping moisture causing rust so I just left it open anyway.

I went over the top of the vent rib on an 870 I did. Rusted like a ****. I ended up sanding it and painting it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum