Maxus Bolt/Barrel Marks??

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Maxus Bolt/Barrel Marks??

Postby JTrottaNY » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:17 am

I put the first 75 shells through my Maxus today and found these marks on the bolt. It looks as if it is striking the barrel... is somthing out of place or is this normal?

Anyone have a Maxus they can compare their bolt?

**NOTE- the shell in the second photo was only to eliminate glare from the inside of the barrel...

JTrottaNY
hunter

Re: Maxus Bolt/Barrel Marks??

Postby JTrottaNY » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:52 am

Fully assembled and bolt closed the mark doesnt really line up with the corner of the barrel insert... I cant really determine what it is acctually hitting??

JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:08 pm

The mark in the second pic is just where the extractor touches when the bolt is closed on an empty chamber. Perfectly normal. I'm not sure what causes the other mark but my Maxus has it too. My guess is that whoever drove in that pin decided that he didn't need to use a punch to drive it flush.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:28 pm

In the second pic, I was originally concerned that the "insert" in the barrel was not correct and causing the strike- I now see that they do not even come close.

I am "glad" that yours also has this mark however it is slightly alarming as it wasn't there before I fired the gun... somthing must be hitting during the cycle. Best I can tell now is when the bolt pivots up in the carrier it is striking the back/top of the barrel... Ill try browning service next week and see if they have any answers for me.

FWIW- I loved shooting the gun!! Just wanna make sure it lasts...
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Mine has been very good to me but keep an eye on the spring that is inside the gas piston. They have been known to break when fed a heavy diet of mag loads. When mine broke I had the piston sealed (a solid sleeve is used to replace the spring) and it really makes for an almost unstoppable duck gun. Since I had mine done I have as much faith in it as I do in any of my pump guns.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:00 pm

My Maxus works like Clampdaddys ,must be the area we live in but ,I'm still waiting on some info for the sealed piston .
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Larry, the next time you go out to Rooster Ranch you ought to stop by and take my piston out for a day to see if you want to do yours. :thumbsup:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Matt ,

I was hopeing you would offer me the chance to try it out ,I didn't want to ask but ,eliminateing problems is what I like to
hear .I know you have looked into sealing the piston and was confident it was a plus so ,I'm interested . You need to take a
couple hours on a weekend day and shoot with me ,I've got some free rounds ,that I won at the last registered shoot that I
would like to share with you ? I shoot at China Springs in Nevada this weekend so ,when I get back I'll get intouch .

Thanks,
Larry
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Sounds good Larry. I have a spare piston for my gun so you're more than welcome to take the sealed one to Nevada with you. Never hurts to have a spare when you're far from home.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:53 am

Man, you should see the inside of the receiver on my M2 Field. Certainly alot more wear than I would expect, but as long as it keeps working...oh well. :hi:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:26 am

njonesy,

The wear you have in that M2 is a good thing ,I know my guns get some wear each year up North in your country after 3 to 4
trips . The sealed piston is a possible fix for some Maxus with spring failure ,I haven't experienced this problem ,yet, and really
don't want to . My Maxus ,has served me well ,so far . It's a 3" gun with a 30" barrel ,that fits me pretty good so ,I'm able to
shoot it with confidence and be very successful . Shooting birds up there 2 weeks before our season opens is Great and with
friends that live and hunt in your neck of the woods ,even makes it better .
3200 man
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:18 pm

3200 Man, the wear is good. Yes :yes: Makes those sharp edges smooth and allows much smoother cycling strokes. I was just concerned the first time I began seeing it nearly two years ago. No biggie. :beer:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:02 pm

I can imagine the paces you put your guns through so ,like fine wine ,time does make it better as long as you maintain it .
I like reading your replies , experience is more helpful than some BS ,that comes up on the forum , Thanks !
3200 man
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:01 pm

This was probably the roughest hunting conditions I've put my Benelli M2 through in the 2 1/2 years I've had it. Other than snow/ice/freezing conditions, this early season hunt I thought would've bee the toughest on my gun. Mud was absolutely everywhere on account of getting in and out of the boat, dog shaking muck everywhere. The reservoir's water level dropped fast that day! It was still a very fun hunt but dang, it was messy. The gun never had a hang up, even on some missed shots on those pesky teal when quick follow up shots were needed. Definitely made me a believer. :yes:

**To make it note worthy, I had my old M2000 out in the same place several times about year or two before this photo, and it wouldn't handle the same conditions. Misfires and cycling problems every few shots. It came out of the case perfectly cleaned and lubed, but just wouldn't take it.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
:beer:
Last edited by njonesy_07 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:17 pm

njonesy ,

What a Great picture and one SET of eyes ,that has worked hard for his (?) birds .I don't know ,what you use to lube your
guns but , I have been useing a product called MILITEC with really good results ,it just doesn't seem to wear-off keeping water
and grime so, I can just shake the gun and the gunk falls right off . Your picture reminds me of a trip to Klamath ,I had Mud
in and on everything I took . My biggest worry ,was my dog . She did well and the area I was hunting was a magnet for Mallard.
By the time I finished the mornings limit ,I had to go to the local car wash and we all took a bath ,(Dog,Gear,Boat,Decoys and
Myself ) there were people watching Me and I hate to guess ,what they were thinking !
3200 man
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 am

Other than clampdaddy, does anyone have a Maxus to compare bolts?
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 am

I have close to 3000 rounds through my Maxus ,most have been 1230fps target loads and 1 season shooting waterfowl .I take
very good care of my guns .The Maxus is so eazy to take completely apart ,I break it down after each days shoot .I have seen
very little ware on my Maxus . I use a lube called Militec ,it stays in the gun and it only takes a clean rag to wipe off all the
crud ,after I blow off all the parts with 90 lbs of air. Give your Maxus a chance to break it-self in ,it's got a waranty and the
track record the gun has is really good, you will become more confident in its opperation. Now , GO SHOOT IT, ALOT !
3200 man
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Browning asked for pics on tuesday, still waiting to hear back from their tech support/engineer guy. Will keep the thread updated as i know more...
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:01 pm

UPDATE: I am becoming less and less impressed with the service at Browning. I sent photos almost a month ago sent a follow up email and 2 phone calls... no reply. finally on the third phone call the guy that asked me to send photos answered the phone... when i explained
Code: Select all
who
I was i was basically told "Oh yea, you were worried about a mark in your bolt...Ummm yea its probably fine... but if you wanna send it in we can look at it"

If it took a month to track down a reply to an email how many years will it to to physically receive my gun back?!?!

Im far from a pre madonna but this is def not the service I would expect after purchasing a bran new, high end product from any company... I am going to to the gun to our "Local" browning service center and see if I can get some intelligent feedback.
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:26 pm

I think you're looking into those marks more than need be. It's an auto and that bolt is moving really fast. That could be caused base of an ejected hull that didn't get out of the way quick enough. I'm just saying that mine looks just like yours and it runs like a Swiss watch.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby KujoKingHunter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Sorry but no. He's not looking at it way more than need be. Mine is the same way. Looks like there's something living in there. Absolutely pissed with browning. This will be the 2nd time My maxus went back to the dealer. Thank God it's warranteed threw him. Getting the cynergy in MODB instead. Loved the way the Maxus shot, But browning really *** this one up. Shame on them. Alum alloys are trash.
KujoKingHunter
hunter

Postby motherducker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:26 pm

[quote="JTrottaNY"]I put the first 75 shells through my Maxus today and found these marks on the bolt. It looks as if it is striking the barrel... is somthing out of place or is this normal?

Anyone have a Maxus they can compare their bolt?

**NOTE- the shell in the second photo was only to eliminate glare from the inside of the barrel...

Image[/quot

My Maxus bolt has the same mark on the bolt. Did you ever get browning to address this issue?
motherducker
hunter

Postby KujoKingHunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 am

Mine has the same exact marks. When i called browning they said it was normal wear. Doesn't look normal to me so davidsons gallery of guns is sending me a replacement this week. I hope the same thing doesn't happen because I am in love with the gun. This will be my second replacement they sent me in 6 months. Thank God for the dealers lifetime warrantee otherwise I don't know what I would do. Browning doesn't care about there products after they are sold. Disappointed with browning. Hope this issue doesn't reoccur. Does anyone have a Maxus without these marks?
KujoKingHunter
hunter

Postby KujoKingHunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:44 am

Notice how browning change the bolt on the a5 to a one piece? It's obviously a manufacturing problem. If this happens on my new Maxus this weekend I'm going to lose my mind. Rather than contacting me on the board. Text me 401 644 8768. I want to know if anyone has a Maxus WITHOUT this bolt issue.
KujoKingHunter
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm

I received the same brush-off response from browning. I took it to a certified service center listed on their site and was given the same answer. Have shot probably another 100 rounds with no issues. I'm still not 100% comfortable with it, keeping my Nova in the safe incase the maxus quits one day! Great gun SO FAR, but I wish I was left with a more confident feeling having bought a brand new gun.
JTrottaNY
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum