L.C.Smith Double Safety Repair

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

L.C.Smith Double Safety Repair

Postby CarefullGunGuy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:38 am

The safety on my otherwise excellent condition L.C. Smith is not functioning properly. The L.C. Smith safety is designed with 3 positions

1. Safe. Mid position shows an S in the safety button - locks both triggers
2. Fire . Button moved to rear - releases both triggres ready to fire.
3. Auto. Button pushed fwd- moves safety from fire to safe when atcion is opened.

Curently the safety does not lock the triggers. If I pull hard enough the hammers are released. I have attempted to repair it several times (I've become expert at installing the difficult to install top lever spring. But It's not a fun job.) But I can't get it to consistently lock the triggers in a safe position. I think the problem is with the safety push rod. It's either too long, too short or too high. But if I randomly try to file it down, Im afraid I could make the pronblem worse. Any suggestions?

CarefullGunGuy
Newb

Re: L.C.Smith Double Safety Repair

Postby mike cook » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:25 am

Have you been on the (Doublegunshop .com )blog site yet with this issue.There is more great info on these older sxs than you can shake a stick at. I know there will be some one on there that knows whats going on . Good luck and good hunting! :thumbsup:
"AMERICA FIRST" !
JOIN THE " NRA "
mike cook
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 am

Either Doublegunshop or the Shooting Sportsman magazine forum...from experience parusing and posting there are some extremely knowledgeable people on there that can either assist or refer you to a qualified smith. You may have to look past a bunch of quibbling and political nonsence but there is good information to be had.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Foster Grantly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:00 pm

The Safety push rod on LC Smith hammerless shotguns has an offset bend to it, with a tab, and it can only be installed one way to function properly. First off- the three position safety dates back to even before LC Smiths were made in Fulton, NY- and were made in nearby Syracuse, NY. reason for that being, live bird and trap shooting (clays) were shot with double guns of that era- both hammer and hammerless- The first true single barrel trap gun came out from LeFever in about 1905, Ithaca, LC Smith and Parker closer to 1915, Baker maybe 1910- but I digress, as those didn't normally have top tang safties as with your Smith-

First question-- is the top tang metal behind the top lever the older two piece tang design- you'll see the end of a machine screw and a slot (like an expansion gap in a poured sidewalk) just behind the end of the top lever if so- after about 1915 Hunter Arms dropped that design and replaced it with a one piece top tang-less machining and fitting- However- the three position safety was still offered as a factory option on any Smith gun until about 1934--special order. I have a 1928 Trap Grade (not a Trap Gun-- Both Winchester in the Model 12 and LC Smith in their doubles offered a Trap Grade, but it could have been on a field gun--it has the three position safety like your Smith does, ordered that way--

If you visit Numrich Arms website and go to the parts sector to L.C. Smith- they show different series hammerless Smiths and with parts schematics= if you have a machinist's background and know how to read prints- that might be helpful here- I do-- you'll see that there were two different styles of safeties for the hammerless Smith guns (actually four-- two more for the HOT Hunter One Trigger from 1906, and another for the non-selective HOT in 1932--I am assuming your Smith has the conventional double triggers, right. Problem is, unless you know how to properly dis-assemble your Smith gun (hammers must be cocked) and the top lever V spring has an "alignment issue" against the bearing strut of the cocking lever that makes some "amateur Smith-smiths" reach for the Tylenol-- you could do your gun more harm than good-

I have two friends that are Master Smith Smiths- one in MO, one in VA-- =I do all my own mechanical work on my own personal guns (Model 12's and Smiths) but because I am NOT a FFL licensed gunsmith, I do NOT work on other folk's guns--but I will be happy to direct you to someone in your area that can help you out, if you wish- :yes: :thumbsup: :beer:
Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien Avec Canard sans morte!!
Foster Grantly
Newb

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum