870 express not ejecting

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

870 express not ejecting

Postby Patternmaster kid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:46 pm

I have a newer 870 express and can not get it to eject. I have tried multiple shells, also the extractor seems to skip over the base of the hull. But is it because the chamber is not polished? Any one have the fix?
Patternmaster kid
hunter

Re: 870 express not ejecting

Postby ohio mike » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Will it extract a unfired shell? Have you tried a previously fired shell? Is it really hard to pump after you fire it?
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Patternmaster kid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Yes to al
Of those questions
Patternmaster kid
hunter

870 express not ejecting

Postby talltimber » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:11 am

I would start with the polishing, if I'm reading your symptoms correctly. Have you tried different brands ammo?
talltimber
hunter

870 express not ejecting

Postby talltimber » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 am

talltimber
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 am

Polish the chamber. Its easy and only takes about 20 minutes. You can research it right here on DHC. A pump should cycle anything. You won't believe how much smoother it will be.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:38 pm

That seems to be a very common problem with the express guns made after the late 1990s. A guy who frequents the shotgunworld forums has figured out what causes it. It's not so much the chambers that need polishing but actually where the barrel extension meets the chamber. After the shell is fired it swells up and the rim gets caught in a small groove where the rim recess transitions to the barrel extension. A couple minutes with a dremel and its good to go. I'd post a link but I don't know how to do it with my phone. Check around in the "I love my Remington" forum.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Its Very sad that a guy has to take a Dremel to a new gun to make it work. If thats the case Remington is in BIG trouble. :mad:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 am

War Wagon wrote:Its Very sad that a guy has to take a Dremel to a new gun to make it work. If thats the case Remington is in BIG trouble. :mad:

Just a faster way to breaking it in
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Natural Camo Face Paint » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 pm

I had same problem tried fedral over winchester ammo and it worked well after that I did a good cleaning too. Try not to use to much oil as I heard this can be the cause of the problem too.
Sven Fleischaker
32675 hill ave
Redwing Mn 55066
651-380-2058
Natural Camo Face Paint
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:12 am

Hard to believe Federal ammo works over Winchester or Remington. I've never had much luck with Federal.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:40 am

Park Duck wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Its Very sad that a guy has to take a Dremel to a new gun to make it work. If thats the case Remington is in BIG trouble. :mad:

Just a faster way to breaking it in

Actually, its either correcting an improper machine cut or its doing a finishing step that was left out by the factory to save costs. They got it right on the Wingmaster but not the express.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby randy marci » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:35 am

just search "forcing cone". almost all the newer 870's have this problem. nothing a little steel wool and a drill can't fix :thumbsup:
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:18 pm

aunt betty wrote:Hard to believe Federal ammo works over Winchester or Remington. I've never had much luck with Federal.

same here.

my ~2004 870 express had trouble ejecting 5-6 shells before I had a few hundred rounds through it now it has well over 2000 though and never misses a beat! but I am also careful to make sure the barrel is sinched down tight as it possibly can.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Patternmaster kid » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 am

@2500hdon37s
I like that thing on the bottom of your posts given about your season totals" haha that's great! I feel the same way.

Thanks every body for the help with this issue.
Patternmaster kid
hunter

Postby Natural Camo Face Paint » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Went to black cloud with their choke as wife gave me black cloud choke for bday the winchester stuck on me but dont know if choke was the fix or not?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Sven Fleischaker
32675 hill ave
Redwing Mn 55066
651-380-2058
Natural Camo Face Paint
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Back to the Express problem.
There's a thread in here where I posted pics of what needs to be polished.
The little cup thing in the barrel.
TRY that...
Here's a picture.
I took a brass brush (12 gauge) and stuck it into my cordless drill and used that to polish with.
shotgun 002.jpg

My shotgun did the same thing. Would fail to eject and then stack two in the receiver. Sometimes it would let two shells come from the magazine and have the shot one stuck sideways in there. I thought it was operator error but...that can't be. I been shooting 870's since 1975 and suddenly a 1996 model gave me the blues. After I polished...no problems.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:20 pm

aunt betty wrote:Back to the Express problem.
There's a thread in here where I posted pics of what needs to be polished.
The little cup thing in the barrel.
TRY that...
Here's a picture.
I took a brass brush (12 gauge) and stuck it into my cordless drill and used that to polish with.
shotgun 002.jpg

My shotgun did the same thing. Would fail to eject and then stack two in the receiver. Sometimes it would let two shells come from the magazine and have the shot one stuck sideways in there. I thought it was operator error but...that can't be. I been shooting 870's since 1975 and suddenly a 1996 model gave me the blues. After I polished...no problems.

I had lost track of that thread AB. Glad to hear it worked for you.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Can we get a bit more info on the polishing, maybe an after post (I assume it removes the blue, and the picture here isn't missing any blue).

I have the jam after firing symptom. I have also found that the ejector button (no idea what it's called, the little switch under the trigger guard) sometimes gets stuck "up" so I cannot press it, but if it's "up" (as in pressed) it should be ready to cycle. I'm guessing the jammed shell is keeping it from pumping.

Is this later bit a symptom? Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: I have tried Winchester, Kent, Hevi-Metal and Black Cloud, does it on all. At least once in 3 shots gets jammed, luckily I can get it out by really working to pump it (much greater force), but I think my shooting is suffering from that because I'm anticipating having to hard pump i, I missed 3 shots today on birds that should have been in the freezer.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:03 pm

ninethreeeleven wrote:Can we get a bit more info on the polishing, maybe an after post (I assume it removes the blue, and the picture here isn't missing any blue).

I have the jam after firing symptom. I have also found that the ejector button (no idea what it's called, the little switch under the trigger guard) sometimes gets stuck "up" so I cannot press it, but if it's "up" (as in pressed) it should be ready to cycle. I'm guessing the jammed shell is keeping it from pumping.

EDIT: I have tried Winchester, Kent, Hevi-Metal and Black Cloud, does it on all. At least once in 3 shots gets jammed, luckily I can get it out by really working to pump it (much greater force), but I think my shooting is suffering from that because I'm anticipating having to hard pump i, I missed 3 shots today on birds that should have been in the freezer.

go google "polishing chamber 870" you polish the inside of the chamber. and I f I were you I'd take out the firing pin assy. and clean then LIGHTY lube the trigger assy. as well then go test.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:22 pm

ninethreeeleven wrote:Can we get a bit more info on the polishing, maybe an after post (I assume it removes the blue, and the picture here isn't missing any blue).

EDIT: I've tried Winchester, Kent, Hevi-Metal and Black Cloud, does it on all. At least once in 3 shots gets jammed, luckily I can get it out by really working to pump it (much greater force), but I think my shooting is suffering from that because I'm anticipating having to hard pump i, I missed 3 shots today on birds that should have been in the freezer.

If you look at that pic Aunt Betty polished the barrel extension and he did the locking lug recess. You can see that there is still a ring of blueing left right behind the rim recess of the chamber. On some 870's that area is the culprit. Once the shells swell up after firing, the rim of the cartridge can actually get mechanically locked into rough machining marks.

That switch jumps up when you pull the trigger so its normal if you're not able to push it up when you have a fired shell stuck in the chamber. If its staying in the up position after the action has been cycled, then you have an issue.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum