870 Express Compact shell carrier hits action bar

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

870 Express Compact shell carrier hits action bar

Postby NapalmCheese » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 pm

I picked up an 870 compact for my girlfriend a few months back. While I was in the store and playing with the gun I noticed that the slide occasionally didn't want come forward to put the gun into battery. It would get sort of stuck at the back of the pumping action. I (as well as the gun shop) attributed it to new gun stickiness and figured it would smooth out after a cleaning. I finally gave the shotgun to my girlfriend last night and taught her how to clean it and lube it.

It still doesn't cycle reliably. Upon further inspection it seems that the shell carrier is occasionally getting hung up on the left side action bar. If you turn the gun over and look at the shell carrier in the port, you can see that it's not quite centered.

While I'm going to take it back to the shop anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had run into a similar problem. Would this be an assembly problem from the factory? A machining problem with the shell carrier? The carrier looks fine to me, but I don't have any other 20 gauges Rems to compare it to. It looks like it's straight, just perhaps a little too far left. The action bars are straight, so I can't imagine that's the problem.

Thanks for any input.
NapalmCheese
hunter

Re: 870 Express Compact shell carrier hits action bar

Postby REM1100 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Looks like one of the side rails became unstaked. Pull the trigger assembly and take a look. Another location to look at is the round nut with slots holding the magazine slider in place check it for looseness and ask the gunsmith to use a special wrench to tighten it or you can use big needle nose plyers.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby NapalmCheese » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:31 am

My gal and I shot a round of sporting clays today and, interestingly enough, it didn't seem to malfunction much with the weight of a shell on the carrier. It did, however, cause her to miss a couple of report pairs.

We ended up taking it back to the shop today and the guy that looked at it told us we had to ship it back and that Remington should have it back to us in 4 - 6 weeks. Bummer.

I rather wish I had checked this before heading back to the shop today... Ah well, at least the girlfriend got to shoot her new gun before sending it back.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it. Now I'm going to take apart my other 870 and see what you were talking about!
NapalmCheese
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:39 pm

If I read your post correctly, the gun is getting "stuck" in rear, open chamber battery correct? If it is the compact model, it will also have the longer forearm. I don't think there is an internal issue at all. Your problem is common to the youth/compact models with the longer forearms. I had the same problem with mine and it really isn't a problem at all...if you are capable of removing the forend from the receiver (I assume you are), and just taking a file to the inside, rear edge of the pump forearm. It is likely catching on the front of the trigger assembly when the action is cycled and gets stuck. You will see just the slightest little bit of wear on the front of the trigger assembly where the forearm is rubbing. You'll have to look hard as the forearm material is fairly hard and won't leave much on the trigger assembly, but I'll bet that's what's happening. If that is the problem, it's an easy fix and you won't have to ship the gun out. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby NapalmCheese » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Unfortunately the gun already shipped, but that's something else I'll check when I get it back. My other express has the long fore-end as well, I might give that a look. It wouldn't be the first time I took a file to some of the plastic on that gun.

dsm16428 wrote:If I read your post correctly, the gun is getting "stuck" in rear, open chamber battery correct? If it is the compact model, it will also have the longer forearm. I don't think there is an internal issue at all. Your problem is common to the youth/compact models with the longer forearms. I had the same problem with mine and it really isn't a problem at all...if you are capable of removing the forend from the receiver (I assume you are), and just taking a file to the inside, rear edge of the pump forearm. It is likely catching on the front of the trigger assembly when the action is cycled and gets stuck. You will see just the slightest little bit of wear on the front of the trigger assembly where the forearm is rubbing. You'll have to look hard as the forearm material is fairly hard and won't leave much on the trigger assembly, but I'll bet that's what's happening. If that is the problem, it's an easy fix and you won't have to ship the gun out. :thumbsup:
NapalmCheese
hunter

Postby NapalmCheese » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:08 pm

For future edification and as a follow up:

I ended up bringing the gun back to the shop secretly hoping they would just swap out the trigger group with another 20 gauge there and send the faulty trigger group back. That didn't happen. Instead they took the gun, ordered the trigger group (which apparently took nearly 5 weeks to come in) and swapped it out. Problem solved.

In retrospect I wish I had tried to order the trigger group from Remington simply so I could take apart the old one and figure out the problem for myself (as per the instructions earlier in this thread). However, not paying a dime to have the shotgun fixed is also nice.
NapalmCheese
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum