Painted Shotgun

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Painted Shotgun

Postby holtspur » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Ok guys I really need help. I recently was fixing up an old shotgun of my Dad's the metal was pretty much shot. So I decided i'd paint it. Well i went over it with steel wool, primed it, and painted it with with some satin black paint. I let it set for two days and put together however it still had a bit of tacky feel and is marring and scratching left and right. I may leave it like this until after dove season but them ill take the paint off and redo it. What should i do this time. I plan on having in the metal done in the ceramic coating eventually but that would be a ways in the future ( depending on the pricing, since i cant seem to find a price on it). I thought about spraying it down with black primer and being done with it after i get the paint off? What's y'alls thoughts??? :huh:
holtspur
hunter

Re: Painted Shotgun

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I have a rifle and a shotgun that both get a coat of rattle can as needed. I've found that thick coats of paint seem to be less durable. I use the Krylon camo paints they sell at wal mart. I use CRC electronics cleaner to degrease (its like a mild brake cleaner and doesn't melt plastics) and I don't use any primer.
clampdaddy
hunter

Painted Shotgun

Postby yareelohim » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:12 am

You need to clear coat after you paint. Use automotive clear (Rustoleum rattle can is fine).

Spray one light coat, wait 15-20min.

Spray second coat heavy, wait 20 min.

Spray third coat real heavy but even.

If the gun is too shiny when it dries, go over it with steel wool. If it gets too dull, all you have to do is wax it like a car.

That paint will never scratch with clear coat.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby holtspur » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:57 am

I'm gonna have to wipe it down to with paint thinner and start over with a different paint. 6 days after it was painted it is still tacky enough to stick to anything to it laid on for more than 3 hours. I guess it wasnt really scratching as much as the paint was peeling back.
holtspur
hunter

Painted Shotgun

Postby yareelohim » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Have you read the sticky on painting shotguns? Great information with step by step pictures of the process.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:27 pm

You can use Brake Fluid soak it overnight.
War Wagon
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum