SX3 major problem

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SX3 major problem

Postby Fastballs&Outdoors » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 pm

So im stuck with a wichester SX3 that i used for the first time this last season.
With my schedule as crazy as it is in the spring with ball i havent had time to mess with it, but my SX3 is un shootable.
heres the story...

So i just got it in august of last year.
Hunted it sparingly throughout the year as i used my benelli for days when things were nasty, muddy, or whatever.

SX3 was great all year until one day in january something wrong happened.
I was field hunting and had a flock of geese in the decoys, everybody pulled up to shoot and i rang off 2 shots and then tried to fire my 3rd and nothing happened. I look down to see the bolt halfway back and jammed completley. Wouldnt move at all.
So i continued to call the the guys i took and didnt shoot and didnt really worry about it.
Got it home started taking it apart and had to wiggle the empty out with pliers.
Next i took the gun apart and finally got the bolt to go forward and dropped it out.
Cleaned it and blew the gun out with an air hose thinking it got jammed up. Still jammed at the same spot.
So i take the stock off and about crapped my pants...
The silver rod that comes out of the reciever is bent severely. It to this day has blown my mind at how this happened because i was holding the gun in my hand when it malfunctioned. Its a 3" chambered gun and the first thing that came to mind was i shot a 3.5 through it but i was shooting all hevi metal 3 inch and that what all of the empties were.

so im hoping somebody will have an idea what to do? i am calling wichester this week but i feel as if they are gonna tell me i had to run over the gun in a truck or something and its not there fault..
Anybody have any clue if i could have a gunsmith buy that part and replace it or what?
Fastballs&Outdoors
hunter

Re: SX3 major problem

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Wow, I've never heard of that happening on any gun. But yes it is an easy fix. Less than ten minutes, probably closer to five. You can do it yourself. If you want to spend some extra money you could order a Sure Cycle for your gun. They're really stout. If not, just get a replacement tube.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Fastballs&Outdoors » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 pm

clampdaddy are you talking about the magazine?? i might just be confused or have been misleading with my gun terminology,
its not the magazine tube thats bent. Its the "rod" that the bolt and action slide backwards into that extends into the butt section inside the stock of the gun.
If you look inside an SX3 there is a little cup behind the bolt and action that they slide into and it moves backwards into the silver rod type thing that extends into the butt of the gun. thats the part thats bent and broke, the silver rod.
Sorry if my description is terrible and hard to understand. Ill try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

I have never heard of this happening to anyone else either i have searched all over the internet today...i cant even find the name of this part on the gun in the owners manual... :sad:
If winchester charges me a 100$ to send this in a get it fixed im going to be heated. I treated this gun like a damn child and cleaned it religously :bow:
Fastballs&Outdoors
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:25 pm

No, I totally understood what you meant. That tube, spring, and plunger assembly that runs down into the stockis really easy to swap out. Especially if yours is already ruined, because now you don't have to worry about being carefull when you remove it. Just grip it with pliers and unscrew it from the rear of the receiver.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Fastballs&Outdoors » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:06 am

ohhhhh boy. i have let out a little sigh of relief now haha.
So i can find these online and buy one? is there specifics that i have to buy to match my gun model?
Im going to look right now at the names you mentioned but if you wouldnt mind posting a link i would greatly appreciate that. :clapping:
Fastballs&Outdoors
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:01 am

Yep,
Go online and/or call the Winchester Parts Dept and look up the part # for the Breech Bolt Slide Link assembly for your SX3. Link....That is the little swinging arm plunger looking gizmo that has to be positioned properly on reassembly to drop down into the action tube. It pushes the action spring back, inside the action tube, upon recoil and the spring closes the action back with the new shell ready for firing. I have an SX2, but I'm sure the parts are the same. Your part #40 for that part, the " link " is B1116129AJ. I think you can just replace that part # without replacing the whole assembly. The link is 18.75 and the whole assembly is 218.00. You may have to replace the link pin that holds the link to the slide. It's 5.00. I'll see if I have a URL address for the parts schematic for the SX3. It puzzles me how you bent that part. Either the link wasn't set down in the tube properly at cleaning or it came out if the operating handle plunger came out and then was reinserted allowing the link to come out of the action tube.

Now if the link isn't the thing that bent and the Action Tube is what was bent, then it's obvious that when you cleaned it, you failed to drop the link back down in the tube and the shot you fired bent the tube. The Action Tube (#5) is either 21.00 or 30.00 acording to whether or not your gun is composite or field (two different part #'s). (2008 prices)
You can call them at 800 322-4626 and explain the problem with the above terminology.
pages 7, 8, & 9 (schematic diagram)

http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/parts/2008_winchester_parts_pricelist.pdf

Just be aware, that when you are reassembling the SX3's bolt assembly, you must stand the gun up, near vertical, and have good light to be able to see down behind the bolt so as to dangle the link above the action tube & allow the link to slip in.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Fastball, The way I took your explanation it sounds like the action tube, it sounds like tenfinger interpreted it as being the bolt link so the best thing to do right now is for you to post a pic just so we can make sure we put you on the right track. :thumbsup:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Fastballs&Outdoors » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Here is the piece that is bent and causing the gun to jam.
I found online the parts manual and it says that this is the replacement tube
5 * U1117472AJ ACTION SPRING TUBE COMPOSITE $30.00
here are some other components are they in need of replacement or just the tube?

2 B1126087AP ACTION SPRING PLUNGER 3" $8.75
3 U1117474AX ACTION SPRING RETAINER $12.50

This screw is also broken should i replace it to?
Fastballs&Outdoors
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Yikes! That tube is definitely bent. Twist it out of the action and take the plunger out so you can make sure that it isn't damaged too. If I'm not mistaken that screw is supposed to have that flat spot so you can put a small wrench on it to turn it in or out of the tube. Does it look like its broken or is it machined? Just make sure to get the right tube for the type of stock your gun has.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Fastballs&Outdoors » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:47 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Yikes! That tube is definitely bent. Twist it out of the action and take the plunger out so you can make sure that it isn't damaged too. If I'm not mistaken that screw is supposed to have that flat spot so you can put a small wrench on it to turn it in or out of the tube. Does it look like its broken or is it machines? Just make sure to get the right tube for the type of stock your gun has.

yea the screw did have a small notch in it for the screwdriver until it broke off under minimal pressure. that was the first thing that pissed me off but i let it slide. then this happened and i was really mad.
i know i didnt have the action lever come out of the cup because i shot twice before this happened and it was on birds 15-18 so it had already been fired. :thumbsup:
Fastballs&Outdoors
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Ok, you better buy a new one then. Without seeing the parts diagram, I'm guessing that is what they are calling the spring retainer. You need to punch out that roll pin before the retainer will unscrew from the tube.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Browning/winchester will take of you!
gooseman1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:22 pm

These 2 guys are spot-on in helping you fix your gun but ,inspect the rod that's hook to the bolt and goes down into the plunger
cup . On these type of B-guns ,they will crack with pressure ,causeing them to jump-out of the plunger .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Fastballs&Outdoors » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Guys,
thanks for all the help so far you've been awesome.
Im going to take it apart tomorrow and try to punch that roll pin out to look/inspect the internal parts and make sure nothing is broke inside. If there isnt, i would just need a new composite rod then and the screw right?

also why im ordering these parts, is there any other parts that commonly get broken or fouled on these guns? i've heard of a spring breaking in the action on several before i kinda thought about ordering one just to have as a backup??
Fastballs&Outdoors
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 am

I've been reasonably lucky with my SX2. I did have the spring break inside the piston. That did not render it inoperable, but I did send it to Sure Cycle and had it sealed so as to be able to shoot light loads. Only other thing I had happen was to lose the operating handle (#51) in the middle of a goose hunt in Canada. I had cleaned it the night before and apparently had not bumped the handle into the bolt all the way so it came out during the first flurry. I ordered two when I got home so I would always have a back-up. Of course that assures me I'll never, ever lose the first one again.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Fastballs,

Unless they changed the way the action tube fits the body, you may need to send it in for replacement. Mine is getting sent out this week. On the SX3, that tube doesn't screw in or out, it is pressed in. I've called numerous gunsmiths to see if they could replace it and they said they couldn't, it's a factory fix. Mine didn't get bent shooting it but when I tried to punch out that tightass little retaining pin, the action tube got dented so cleaning and getting the spring out is a bitch. Call winchester and see what they will do for you. I'm sure you're going to have to send it to them for repair.

Good Luck!
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:18 am

As far as I know they are all screwed in. If they were pressed in they would be extracted by tightening down the stock nut. Some are just stubborn and require a little heat to soften up the thread locker they use on them.

+1 on having the piston sealed by SRM. I had one done and I did another one of my guns myself.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Just got off the phone with Winchester, They said I can't replace that tube myself, I have to send it in. I didn't ask whether it was screwed in or not so I still have no clarification on that. Mine goes in Fri.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Steel & Fastball,

You may want to call Sure Cycle and get them to install you a new stainless tube and spring. That, as well as sealing the spring on your gas piston since you were going to have to go to the trouble of shipping your gun into Browning/Winchester. That's what I'd do unless Winchester is gonna replace it free. At least call Jeff at Sure Cycle, 208 887-9395 for a comparison as to costs. He does a good job. Tell him what the problem seems to be.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Go with the Shure Cycle :yes: it a up grade to any waterfowl gun. Anyboby can put one in
War Wagon
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:49 am

The tube does screw out. I talked to surecyle and they told me how to do it. I'm going to send my gun to them for the replacement of the action tube assembly and sleeve the piston. Might as well spend it now rather than twice, once to Win and then to surecycle. Kinda sucks to need $300 worth of parts and adjustments to a $1,000 dollar gun but I will worry no more with rusted out action springs.
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby Fastballs&Outdoors » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:02 pm

well shes going in the mail to winchester tomorrow guys... i talked to some rep on the phone about it and he implied that a winchester gun never breaks or malfuctions so ill most likely have to pay for it. sounded like he had taken his sx3 to Nam n back and it never jammed :bow: so well see what they say. i dont really care to much but i did write on the form i was pretty disapointed that a gun with <300 rounds through it would have this kind of problem.
hope for the best!
Fastballs&Outdoors
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum